Author Topic: x500 mileage  (Read 10133 times)

rick71

• View Profile
x500 mileage
« on: February 17, 2010, 10:53:46 PM »
My new Kymco's gas guage is reading nearly empty. It's just above the white line on the red zone. I only have 90 miles on the scoot. The gauge read full when I got it. I don't remember the original mileage, it was still reading KMs for a couple days. So...

Might my mileage really be that bad on a good running scoot?

Is the gas gauge on the 500's flaky?

When filling the gas, can I just put the pump handle into the tank opening and squeeze, like a car? Or do I have to watch out for blow back?

Any help/info appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 11:37:41 PM by rick71 »
Rick

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: x500 mileage
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 12:45:10 AM »
WATCH FOR BLOWBACK! The nozzle doesn't go far enough into the tank for the auto stop to work. I would suggest doing your mpg solutions on paper to match the tank level to the actual amount in the tank. Jprestonion uses a site called FUELLY. It is a data base for answering exactly that type of question. I think this is the link...     http://www.fuelly.com/
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 05:55:36 AM »
Well, I just looked at the capacity of the tank in the manual and it's 3.38 gallons.  Now if your dealer didn't quite fill it at the time of delivery, then maybe you had only, say, 3 gallons in it.  The manual doesn't say what the capicity is at the point of the low fuel warning coming on is.  It's possible you might have nearly a gallon still in it at the time you posted this. So, there's 45 mpg.  That's all I'm getting out of mine so far. 

BTW, we need to see PICTURES of it!!!   >:( 

Bryan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 09:31:14 AM »
I have sort of worked out that I should get around 220 (17 km/ Litre) on a tank. I use the trip meter so I plan my trips and filling stops at around 180-200km on the trip meter then reset the trip. I sure wish this tank was a bit bigger I commute 70 km to work and back so fill up every second day because I'm scared to try the third day in case of some delay or problem and I run out of fuel. I have a filling station 1 km from my home on the route and no other one near to the route I commute so if I miss that one I have to divert and go looking for fuel. The guage is a bit strange, after filling, it sits almost stuck on the full for about 90 km then drops rapidly down over the next 50 km then the light comes on and stresses me. I find that too unreliable and rather ignore the fuel guage and use the trip meter method. I do the same with my Suzuki GSXR750 which doesn't have a fuel gauge and the ute which does. And yes the guys are right be careful when you fill up it blows back, I was caught out with my right boot, sock and jeans soaked in fuel and spent the rest of the day smelling of fuel besides having pretty sore skin burns for awhile. Couple of new guys around the forum, so guys how about a few photos so we can see the scoot. Regards from Durban RSA.

rick71

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 12:03:13 PM »
Thanks for all the info.

It looks like my 90 miles isn't too bad, considering the reserve light (which the manual says I have) hasn't come on yet and th scoot hasn't broken in yet.

I am disappointed in the gas blow back reports. I have major problems with that on my Scarabeo 250. Anyone have any hints on how to limit it?
Rick

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 04:03:18 PM »
When mine was new, it took a few tanks to get the feel for how much to put in at what mileage. I too watch for blowback after similar experiences.

Mine - X500 - was averaging 46mpg with mostly city and some 70mph freeway riding. Now I have Dr. Pulley sliders installed, and they took some getting used to, mostly stopped twisting the throttle so much as takeoff was improved.

And my mechanic has fine-tuned carb and spark plug. Also added dry lubricant, graphite, to variator when new belt was installed. Now my mileage averages 50. It drops to 45-47 when loaded for touring and riding above 60mph. big motor and automatic transmission, and she still gets better than the Harley and Kawasaki 650 twin I used to ride.
2009 Xciting 500
2015 Lance Cali Classic 150
Adventure is a two-wheeled journey

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 04:31:30 PM »
Thanks for all the info.

It looks like my 90 miles isn't too bad, considering the reserve light (which the manual says I have) hasn't come on yet and th scoot hasn't broken in yet.

I am disappointed in the gas blow back reports. I have major problems with that on my Scarabeo 250. Anyone have any hints on how to limit it?
I haven't looked at a diagram of the x500, so it is very likely to be completely different than the People 250, so what I'm saying here probably doesn't apply to you. On the P250, the tank is actually in two sections -- the bottom tank, under the left floorboard, and the top tank/filler. The fuel level float sensor is in the bottom tank. How this works in practice on my P250 is like this: I fill up, and the fuel gauge reads "F" for about 80% of the time I ride on that tank. When the needle moves off "F," it is time to think about re-fueling. I almost never let it fall below what the gauge indicates as 1/4 tank, as I'm running quite low by that point. If the low fuel LED comes on, I might have a very few miles (I mean under five) of riding left -- it's way too late unless this happens right around the corner from a gas station. Something to consider if you like to ride the Natchez Trace, as I do (and exit signs for gas do not exist... most of the gas stations are 20+ miles off of the Trace up here on the northern end!).

Now this will probably vary even between different P250s, but the important thing on any scooter (indeed, any vehicle) is to try to never run out of fuel, right?  So I would recommend that you never put off fueling up. Try my trick of fueling up no later than 1/4 tank (indicated), compare the amount of fuel you can put in at that point against the known capacity, and after a few fill ups, you'll have a really good idea as to the accuracy of your gauge.

Fuelly has been a big help to me for tracking expenses, MPG and other data. As you can see, I average 91 miles between fill-ups (and my mileage has been improving since I fixed that li'l brake issue).

Splash-back: The filler "tank" is large enough on the P250 to keep this from being much of an issue. I try applying only enough pressure to the fuel dispensing trigger on the pump to allow fuel to flow (not always easy, depending on the pump!), and the auto-cutoff has always worked for me. I do not try to add additional fuel once it cuts off, automatically.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 04:34:41 PM by jprestonian »

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 09:52:36 PM »
The fuel gauge of the x500 is nearly worthless. 1/3 of the trip full, 1/3 from full to empty and stays the last 1/3 at empty.
At least the light comes on if only 2 litres left (states the manual, I once went 30km with light on without running dry). But the light is very poor, I may only notice it in the dark.
Consequently I use the trip odometer to decide about refilling.
Beware of running dry! The end gear has much friction, especially if cold, and the x500 is quite exhausting to push.

I have no problems with back sputttering, I insert the nozzle deep into the fuel cap and wait for automatic shut off. Then pulling out a little and fill the last amount (volume like a cup) slowly.

Instead of fuelly.com, most Germans use "spritmonitor.de". There are more than 200000 entries on this site!
My x500:
http://www.spritmonitor.de/de/detailansicht/169394.html
(4.95 litre/100km = 47 mpg (US) = 57 mpg (UK))
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 10:05:56 PM by ts1 »

rick71

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 10:13:45 PM »
I have no problems with back sputttering, I insert the nozzle deep into the fuel cap and wait for automatic shut off. Then pulling out a little and fill the last amount (volume like a cup) slowly.

What do you mean "insert the nozzle deep". My fuel cap tube has a plastic thing which doesn't allow the nozzle to go into filler tube to the blowback guard like it does on cars. Do you push hard and compress the spring on the nozzle?
Rick

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 10:25:08 PM »
Probably our gas pump nozzles are thinner. I can insert them about 15cm into this white plastic thing.

rick71

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 11:20:53 PM »
I put in. 2.575 gallons. The reserve light had just come on. I REALLY hope it wasn't completely full when I got it, becasue if it was, I'm only getting 35mpg at best. I know this is break-in mileage, but I think that's a little low.
Rick

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 01:30:13 AM »
A few others posted about the "lag" on true readings from the fuel gauge. You may have been down a gallon, and still read full. As you know your mpg will climb some once your new parts get settled in. I just love the snap you get from new rings tho!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 01:14:02 AM »
I've only had one trip where the mileage from a tankful was a problem. That was doing a lot of freeway riding across Louisiana which has swamps. Lots of miles and miles of swamp. A couple of times I had to plan and watch for gas stations.
2009 Xciting 500

rick71

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 01:31:56 AM »
I read a few stories in magazines of people carrying smallish plastic gasoline containers with them on runs. That would almost certainly cut down stops at gas stations. I do wonder how their butts feel :-)
Rick

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 02:30:53 AM »
I don't mind stopping after two or three hours for a break, especially if it's a long ride.

My longest so far was about 1550 miles in 5 days. One day was just over 600 miles. That's about 960 kilometers. It was fun.
2009 Xciting 500

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()