Author Topic: Help: Xciting 500 (carb) won't start  (Read 11465 times)

guile

• View Profile
Re: Help: Xciting 500 (carb) won't start
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2015, 02:57:59 PM »
Thanks for the info!

guile

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2015, 09:01:57 AM »
For the EFI model,  you can get a modified ECU,  but in my case it was a combination of rectifier, starter motor, solenoid and relay.

Sent from my hltetmo using Tapatalk

In what way did your X did not start? Did the starter motor turn but was the spark unstable or missing?

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2015, 09:10:10 AM »
While battery had power it would just crank, now and then a splutter. Battery eventually faded due to multiple attempts at starting. Occasionally it would start. It was suggested that since ECU must be getting full voltage to run all the electronics, when battery fading, not enough power left to spark, crank, and keep ECU at operating efficiency. (so ECU was brain dead when battery was fading).

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 with Tapatalk

2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

guile

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2015, 09:19:11 AM »
Thanks for replying.
The problem still hasn't been resolved. The mechanic now wants to move an electronic wheel closer to another part so the spark is stronger (I don't know what I'm talking about). He needs to open the right side of the engine for this.

I'm frankly not at all reassured by this approach.

Please people, ideas!

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2015, 02:04:33 PM »
I know which part you are referring to, also don't know the name. As far as I am aware, that part has not been replaced on mine. A mechanic I know has said that that 'wheel'  can loose efficiency after a while, and should be replaced, or rewound. Moving something closer to get improved spark is going beyond cost-cutting, just get the proper part, in my opinion.

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2015, 02:10:07 PM »
I also installed an extremely high end battery, Motobatt, with high CCA of 240,more than traditional battery.

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2015, 02:16:11 PM »
What about your auto choke? If it does not start after 2-3 tries, battery is going die, and it will likely be flooded. I got mine started a few times, by drying and sanding he spark plug gap.

guile

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2015, 03:12:21 PM »
What about your auto choke? If it does not start after 2-3 tries, battery is going die, and it will likely be flooded. I got mine started a few times, by drying and sanding he spark plug gap.

Guys, I started this thread almost a half year ago and I have been struggling with my X since. It would only start very arbitrarily. I tried everything and it cost me a lot of money. BUT I found out recently that when I turn the key and wait about 10 seconds until a soft ticking sound stops, the engine starts... Is this the autochoke / fuelpump?
So the good news is that I know now how to start the damn thing, but what needs to be repaired?

Please your suggestions
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 03:36:28 PM by guile »

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2015, 06:25:26 AM »
That will be the electric fuel pump. I had some success by doing a full throttle just after fuel pump is primed, and then immediately starting. The Motobatt battery I mentioned before will give you more starting attempts, and less chance of leaving you stranded.

guile

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2015, 10:00:09 AM »
Do you mean the pump needs to be replaced?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2015, 11:33:15 AM »
Makes me wonder how Wayne is getting on with his new to him 500. ??
Wayne, time for a full new owner's review! :-)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

guile

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2015, 11:44:15 AM »
I fail to see relevance here...  ???

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2015, 12:13:35 PM »
Re starter needing to be replaced. I am not saying that. Since it is priming, it should be good. EFI models, fuel pressure is more critical, but for carb models, float and needle/seat issues are a possible problem area. I mentioned my starting procedure when I was also having major starting issues,which had some success.

I learnt recently that here is some mechanism to do with the cams that releases cylinder chamber pressure for a second just to ease starting. I don't know if your model has that feature.
The bike shop I used for repairs also only seemed to find out about it while working on my scoot,  and then also, when I was there another time,  I saw a xc500 stripped which the mechanics explained had that exact problem.

Hopefully your starting procedure will keep doing the trick for you, but dead of winter I would strongly recommend that high end battery I have mentioned a few times now.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 12:17:54 PM by xsel777 »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2015, 07:06:58 PM »
Boy, what a hassle! New bike, too. The thingy the "mechanic" wants to reposition is the CPS or Crank Pulse Sensor. This would be valid if spark was intermittent. Is he SURE this is the problem?

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2015, 11:47:12 AM »
He can't move that part closer, it is plugged in in line with/after the stator/generator. This part could be weak or breaking down intermittently? A new one may do the trick. If he has the right side cover off, I would replace the statot/generator at the same time. This is the charging system. Mine started to go bad, and took a year or so to finally die. It's 60 some bucks, I would replaces it. :-*

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()