Author Topic: 2006 Venox 250 sputtering....Just bought it, put 200 miles on her..  (Read 16042 times)

krisfnbs

• View Profile
Re: 2006 Venox 250 sputtering....Just bought it, put 200 miles on her..
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 02:17:32 PM »
I will get additional pictures by the end of tomorrow.

max oradea

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2013, 09:34:07 AM »
here is a pic of plug with a brown and grey coating on the crown

krisfnbs

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 04:56:28 PM »
heres pics of the old spark plugs and my exhaust.

krisfnbs

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2013, 04:59:19 PM »
So as of now I have installed new spark plugs, and the air filter. still waiting for the battery to come in the mail. I took the new spark plugs out this morning and I know I am definatly getting spark. I smalled gas on the plugs as well. once I put the new air filter in I tried to start it but nothing. I put my hand on the tip of each exhaust and they are both puffing so I know both cylinders are trying to start. I then opened the gas tank to see if it would start and nothing. all it does is crank and crank not even a sign of starting.

krisfnbs

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013, 05:03:07 PM »
so I know its not spark, I know its not air...it has to be fuel/carb related?

max oradea

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2013, 07:49:18 PM »
ok buddy, well the small things are out of the way.
check how many turns are the idle mixture screw on each individual carb, they are the bronze color screws on the bottom of each carb. with the rear one slightly hard to get to. should be 2 and 5/8 turns out from closed.
when you try to start use a little throttle, and when it does start hopefully it does keep it running with using the throttle if you need to and adjust the idle stop screw to keep it running.
my guess is that the two idle mixture screw are fully closed to run the bike with the old air filter and now they are not giving enough fuel with the new air filter.
check as well that the vacuum hose for the auto fuel lock is connected to the real cylinder manifold.
the pulse is pretty strong when the engine is firing you can feel it half a meter away even so if both cylinders are not starting then you will not be able to tell much about pulses.
can you post a new photo of the new plugs please or give us a discription of the color and the state of it.
your old plugs look ok to be honest. slightly rich but not enough to cause miss fires.
i have a feeling you are now not getting fuel, but i could be wrong. its says on the owners manual you will need to squeeze a little throttle to start.
So check the above fuel vacuum hose and the idle mixture and idle stop screw and start the bike with a little throttle.

krisfnbs

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2013, 09:06:33 PM »
I think you are correct, I think I am not getting fuel for some reason. I will try my best to do what you say in the previous post and come back with results. I'm still learning where/what everything is on this bike, I only have limited knowledge. You have done a great job explaining things to be thus far and I really appreciate it.

krisfnbs

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2013, 09:09:29 PM »
Also regarding the plugs... once I installed the new ones a few days ago it fired up and then died, and then kept doing that until it would not start anymore. so the plugs still look pretty new. I tried giving it throtttle and it helped, but it would eventually die.(Thats why I think I may have flooded the engine) I gave it a little throttle this morning and nothing happened. I'm going to spray a little starting fluid in my air intake and see if it fires up. It should or else I have a big problem.

max oradea

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2013, 09:57:14 PM »
hey buddy want to check the sequence of events, so first you put in new plugs a few days ago with the old filter?
i mean if so maybe the plugs are more pron to fouling now that it has been run on an old filter. pull the plugs and have a look. you can clean them with carb cleaner or blow torch to burn off the carbon.
when my bike has been standing for a long time without starting, which is like in 2 months, the fuel in the bowls evaporate and it will take a lot of cranking to let the fuel valve open and for the fuel to get back into the bowls, what i do is to manually suck the vacuum tube for the fuel lock and then it will fire up straight with one cranke.
so check plugs again, check the idle mixture screw and make sure there is fuel in the bowl, you can check by the bowl bleed screw, just check the one for the front carb its easier to get to. If there is fuel in the front there is a near 100% chance there is also in the rear, and if there is fuel in the bowl but your engine is not getting fuel then i would think to the idle mixture screw.
but then again the choke system bypass the idle fuel system so...
if there is fuel in the bowl, you have clean spark plugs and the spark caps are connected you should be able to start with choke even if the idle mixture screws are set wrong. which should be 2 5/8 turns out.
if not then it might get serious and maybe its just something real simple we over looked.

krisfnbs

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2013, 01:05:10 AM »
Okay so here is where I stand as of now.

The bronze phillips screw in the middle, this is the carb drain correct? I loosened it a little and gas came out.

I ended up breaking the stock T splitter gas line the other day trying to disconnect it to see if fuel was going to the carb. I replaced it with a white one of the same size. There is gas in this line. I think this is going to the carb.......?

Is this my fuel filter? I removed the speedometer gauge on the gas tank and this was underneath. Not sure if this is the fuel filter or not. I suppose it doesnt matter anyways seeing as I am getting gas in the T splitter down below so I cant have a clogged fuel filter....

What is this and where does it go? Snooping around today on the left side of the bike I was touching some lines and I saw this hanging around and I could not find where it plugged back into. There is one of these on the air filter....but this one has oil inside of it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought a can of $3 starter fluid and sprayed it into the air filter for 2 seconds and the bike immediately fired up on the first try. I had the idle screw turned to the right all the way and the choke all the way out and it revved really really high. I turned the idle screw to the left a bit to get it to normal/slightly higher idle rev.... it ran for about a minute or so.... and then it started to bog down. I would give it throttle... and it would go up... and then start to bog down again.

max oradea

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2013, 05:46:03 AM »
hang in there buddy, i will get back to you as soon as i get some time.

max oradea

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2013, 05:51:37 AM »
just a quick note here, i noticed the fuel valve vacuum tube is not where it should go. will let you know soon, and will show you where the idle mixture screw are as well. we are getting somewhere hang in there.

max oradea

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2013, 09:29:03 AM »
Hi buddy about that tube of where it goes. It should be for the air box, should fit it back otherwise air will be sucked in via the air box directly with chance of dust and it will have an effect of open air box causing you to run lean.
I will post some pictures when I get home.

krisfnbs

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2013, 10:19:15 AM »
How many tubes on the airbox? Just 1 right? There is one in the airbox already. This one had oil inside of it. The airbox one is clean.

krisfnbs

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2013, 10:23:01 AM »
And yes in the t fuel vacuum line by the auto petcock, one of the ends is not connected to anything. Should this be connected to a line?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()