Author Topic: LIKE tire install. Full disclosure.  (Read 1104 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
LIKE tire install. Full disclosure.
« on: March 18, 2017, 03:56:26 PM »
After putting the rear wheel with new Michelin on my LIKE200i last week, I hung the muffler on a string while refitting the pipe at the other end. First go, the string slipped off and exhaust  fell on my pad.
Since I was photographing things as I went along.......well.
Later, discovered that my old Panasonic camera helped to break the fall, as well.
Camera still works fine, but viewing  screen took a hit, so cannot tell what I'm taking a picture of.
Well, some St Pete  beach sand was already in there...so time to replace.
Ah well.
Stig
PS: manufact. date was 46th week of 2016 on the new Michelin Power Pure.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 03:59:02 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: LIKE tire install. Full disclosure.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 06:08:25 PM »
Oops!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Ernestt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 05:34:58 AM »
i try to think that breaking tools while doing mechanic work is far better than messing up the new part being installed or breaking any existing good parts  ;) ;)
2009 kymco people 250s

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 06:25:10 AM »
Stig. What prompted you to get the Power Pure instead of another City Grip? I may put Power Pures on the Smax. 
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 02:22:04 PM »
Stig. What prompted you to get the Power Pure instead of another City Grip? I may put Power Pures on the Smax. 
4 yrs ago I had City Grips installed since I was using the scooter as an all-weather daily work commuter. I rode to or from work in several downpours over the years. Retired, now if I look outside and see it raining.....the scoot stays parked.
If I get caught in a rain on the Power Pures I'm certain they'll perform as safely as any other quality tire.....but am hoping for a little longer tread life over the center of the contact area. (although, my old City Grip probably could have gone to @14,0000 miles.....)
In any event , best tire for wet commuting is no longer my top consideration.
I'm never taking any scooter off-road so don't need "M&S" tread.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 04:07:08 PM »
And because we are talking "full disclosure" according to your thread header I dare to ask another question.   :)
There are other quality tire brands out there with excellent dry and wet street characteristics models also, als well as remarkable longevity.
So why another Michelin? What does the Michelins better than any other quality brands?
The reason why I am asking is, whenever it comes to tires, a lot of people here almost exclusively talk about Michelins. As if they were the only good ones available in the US.  :D
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 05:00:45 PM »
... I rode to or from work in several downpours over the years. Retired, now if I look outside and see it raining.....the scoot stays parked...In any event , best tire for wet commuting is no longer my top consideration.
I'm never taking any scooter off-road so don't need "M&S" tread.
Stig
It's so nice having the ability to alter your riding schedule to take advantage of the best weather. I thought that I had gotten "lazy" since retiring, but now that I know you do the same thing, I'm now calling it "riding smarter"!  ;D Us retired guys have got each others' backs.
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 07:46:29 PM »
I am still in the trenches riding to the old grind every day. Hopefully, one day I will get my retirement Power Pures!
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 01:14:50 AM »
And because we are talking "full disclosure" according to your thread header I dare to ask another question.   :)
There are other quality tire brands out there with excellent dry and wet street characteristics models also, als well as remarkable longevity.
So why another Michelin? What does the Michelins better than any other quality brands?
The reason why I am asking is, whenever it comes to tires, a lot of people here almost exclusively talk about Michelins. As if they were the only good ones available in the US.  :D

I don't believe there are more than 3 or 4 choices in the 12 inch size. Two of them are Michelin. Honestly, I replaced my OEM Kenda tires with the Michelin City Grips, based on reviews on a few different forums, Kymco, SYM, Vespa, etc. They are supposed to be good rain tires. That has not been a concern in the drought ridden state of California for a few years. That is why i kept the original tires until they wore out. Now we have experienced a lot of moisture from the sky this winter.
 The City Grips are not available for the front tire in 13 inch for my SMAX. Power Pures may be the answer. My concern with them is the tread pattern on the front. The highways have rain grooves here. I am concerned about the tendency to follow the grooves and tar snakes with the straight tread pattern of the front tires. There are several manufactures that the Vespa guys recommend. 
  Stig, I kind of thought that necessity was no longer in the equation. Long life is part of the Power Pures.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 01:23:11 AM »
I don't believe there are more than 3 or 4 choices in the 12 inch size. Two of them are Michelin. Honestly, I replaced my OEM Kenda tires with the Michelin City Grips, based on reviews on a few different forums, Kymco, SYM, Vespa, etc. They are supposed to be good rain tires. That has not been a concern in the drought ridden state of California for a few years. That is why i kept the original tires until they wore out. Now we have experienced a lot of moisture from the sky this winter.
 The City Grips are not available for the front tire in 13 inch for my SMAX. Power Pures may be the answer. My concern with them is the tread pattern on the front. The highways have rain grooves here. I am concerned about the tendency to follow the grooves and tar snakes with the straight tread pattern of the front tires. There are several manufactures that the Vespa guys recommend. 
  Stig, I kind of thought that necessity was no longer in the equation. Long life is part of the Power Pures.
Tire behavior over highway grooves is something I cannot speak to. (we have some of that here, but my LIKE is never going to be out there on the Interstate) That sounds like a genuine concern.
Perhaps a local scooter or bike shop could give you some feedback taken from other riders on your roads vs different tire treads?
I hope you get something that works well & safely for you.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 01:50:16 AM »

Robo,
I don't know why I've been sold on Michelins for decades....I did also love my Continental radials on my Beetles in the 60's & 70's. You would not believe how inexpensive were the bias ply tires for that car. A full set installed for $100....and I got the white walls!
I don't know....I love warm french bread from a boulangerie and tires by Bib........

Sure, there are other good tires. I've tried lots of brands of tires over the decades - But I feel best when my family, and my butt, are on Michelins.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 02:23:36 AM »
Tire behavior over highway grooves is something I cannot speak to. (we have some of that here, but my LIKE is never going to be out there on the Interstate) That sounds like a genuine concern.

When I got the MyRoad and took it on the freeway around here I was reminded of my first bike a '87 Honda Helix. When I first took in on the freeway it really freaked me out the way it wandered back/forth following the grooves in the concrete. It took me a while to get used to it so I could ride regularly on the freeway. The front Maxxis tire on the MyRoad has a center groove running around it that tracks on the concrete grooved freeway making it feel just like I remember the Helix did. It's not really an issue it just feels weird and you just have to let it do its thing though I'm likely to switch tire brand once these are worn out.

I'm also convinced that the grooved concrete freeway is the cause of the shorter tire life (compared to other owners in other parts of the country) and weird wear the front tires on all my Burgmans, it's kinda like taking a belt sander to them.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 03:40:44 PM by MJR »
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 11:15:19 AM »
Thanks Tom for clarification. ;)
I agree, M. has done a really phantastic and penetrating and convincing job in Marketing over decades. 8)
Plus they have good tires too. At least.  ;D

@LidoCA
Maybe you should check your beliefs. ;) There are clearly more than 3 or 4 choices in the 12 inch size scooter tire segment.
Do the serious research please. I won´t mention names and brands now, because I don´t want and don´t need to advertise for any of them. But they are out there and available.
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()