Author Topic: Faulty dashboard - 2008 Kymco Grand Vista  (Read 3884 times)

Rush

• View Profile
Faulty dashboard - 2008 Kymco Grand Vista
« on: July 16, 2013, 08:37:04 AM »
Hi All,
Firstly allow me to introduce myself - I am Rush (from South Africa) and I ride my wife's Grand Vista 250 every so often - this scooter is tons of fun  ;D
More recently, the dashboard display has become faulty. On starting the scooter (starts without any problem), the dashboard begins to flash along with the red "charge light" on the right hand side of the display. The LED display continues to flash and the items within the display alternate between "full" display or "faded". Nothing on the display displays completely and thus the dashboard is unable to display any useful information. Rev counter does not display current RPM, nor does the odometer display the milage or speed.
The scooter was taken to the dealer who was unable to fix the problem other that to suggest that the dashboard be replaced at a cost of $800  ::)
Has anyone on the forum encountered such an issue previously and, if so, how was the problem corrected (if at all)?
Thanks in advance for any advice or pointer.
Best regards
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 09:02:33 AM by Rush »

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
Re: Faulty dashboard - 2008 Kymco Grand Vista
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 07:14:08 PM »
I would check for a loose or broken wire.  Recently my charge light has been coming on intermittently especially on some road surfaces.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 08:17:21 PM »
Probably too simple a solution to actually work.
Recently my son's Scion xB was exhibiting all kinds of strange electrical issues (some dash lights on with car off and key off, etc., etc.)
I accidentally discovered that the ground from battery was very, very loose. Sanded clean the wire tip and tightened it up and all issues were resolved!
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 09:08:36 AM »
Thanks for the prompt and constructive feedback so far. It would seem that the plan of action before going ahead and parting with $800 will be as follows:
1. Check wiring - end to end
2. Tighten any loose connections
3. Check battery terminals and charge
4. Ensure all connections are dry and secure
If the above fail to resolve the issue, then:
5. Dismantle dashboard unit and check PCB solders and wiring
If all above fail to resolve the issue, consider replacement dashboard

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 06:19:29 AM »
The back light on my 2005 GV 250 goes from bright to dim and lately even completely off.  Battery cables are tight, and Yuasa battery is strong.
PaulC

Rudolf

• Born to be wild!!!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 02:43:05 PM »
I've installed the new inverter for the electroluminescent foil and it works perfectly. I've bypassed it's own inverter with an aftermarket EL inverter that i've got cheaply from the internet (equivalent of 10 bucks). It was an inverter with an audio sensor. It flashed the lights each time it sensed sound:

I've removed the microphone, sensitivity volume controller and the main switch. The rear of the inverter:

With the cover on the inverter:

The black wires of the inverter is connected to the foil, and the red and black wires are connected to 12v DC. Brown wire from the dashboard connects to the red wire of the inverter witch is the + and the black wire connects to the green/black wire from the dashboard.

after plugging the holes of the inverter with silicone, i've wrapped the inverter in a protective foam layer and tucked in the dashboard cover:

Now testing:

The inverter is converting 12V DC in to 110V AC @ 1000 Hz

There is also a simple version of the inverter without audio sensor.
Don't forget, cut away the plain Brown wire from the dashboard connect the red input wire of the inverter + to it, and find the green wire with black stripe and connect the negative terminal of the inverter's input wire.

Forefronts

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 12:38:04 AM »
Had the same problem, faulty dash. Would always show KPH, clock and other functions kept resetting every time I shut off the bike [2005 GV250].
Had the dash replaced, took 6 months to get a replacement $200 + labor.

Forefronts

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 02:23:36 AM »
had to replace my dash, would not hold settings.
New unit $200 (US) + labor.
But at the current conversion rate that would be ~2400 rand.
If you are quoting US dollars ($800) that is 4x too much.

Rudolf

• Born to be wild!!!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 11:40:18 AM »
For the equivalent of 200$ me and a friend got a whole Grand Dink 250 for spare parts including the dashboard. The starter motor was busted, so as the brake system and a few plastic body items.

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 08:56:04 AM »
Fantastic pictures thanks!  That's another area that needs work on my scoot.  Just discovered something: The dash was dark - no illumination.  Key was on but with motor off.  By slowly moving the handlebars the dashboard lights came on full brightness.  Thus I suspect a wire is worn in the harness or is tugging on the place where it connects too.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 09:05:56 AM by mrbios »
PaulC

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()