Author Topic: handle bars loose  (Read 1080 times)

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
handle bars loose
« on: October 28, 2014, 04:30:24 PM »
I have 03 Super 9, just bought, not running.  Looks good condition, was told just needs battery and carb cleaned, and should run.  I also noticed handle bars has a little play, I am hoping just needs to be tightened.  Anybody ever have this issue?

Pretty cool forum.  I read a lot of the posts last night, tons of good info, thanks.

I am just planning to ride in the neighborhood.  I have racing karts and minibikes.  Pretty dicey riding minibikes here, can get a handful of tickets, bike impounded, so decided to go legal and get a scooter.  Cheers
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: handle bars loose
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 08:16:11 PM »
Welcome to the forum Chaz! The loose bars are tightened just like a bicycle. The race turns, and there is a locking nut on top of that.

I highly recommend greasing the bearings but it is a royal pain because they are tiny, and they are not in a cage. When you pull out the triple tree stem they go every frigin' where.
What I did was to drill a hole anywhere in the neck tube, and install a Zerk fitting. I simply filled the entire tube w/ grease w/ a grease gun. It took about ten pumps to fill, and no lost 1.7mm bearings
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 11:43:31 PM »
Thanks for reply.

Thanks for heads up on the bearings.  I disassembled a pocket bike, as I recall, and same happened, little ball bearings everywhere.  I live in TX, grease tends to liquefy overtime.  Your suggestion sounds messy to me, but triple tree probably needs grease as you say, scooter is 10 plus years old.  If I take it apart, I will try to be ready.

Will have more questions soon, I plan to work on it in a couple of days, see if I can get it to run.

Cheers

1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 12:20:24 AM »
Ford wheel bearing grease. It's high temp, and will never flow out.
I know exactly what you mean because I used Lucas Red, and it was a mess for months. I should have stated that but forgot.

We're all here to help, when you need it.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 03:32:29 AM »
Thanks for suggestion on grease, good info.

I got it home tonight.  Next I need a battery, left brake lever, maybe some 2 cycle oil.  I used to have a full bottle of Motul, but gave it away to a friend just a month ago.  I used the Motul in a Rotax FR125 kart engine, if you know what that is.  Got rid of the Rotax years ago, too fast for me.

I really like this S9, already want another one, and mine doesn't even run.

Cheers

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 02:23:08 AM »
I took off the front plastic looking for the radiator and found the bolt to tighten the steering.  Torqued it down a little and now my handle bars are nice and snug.  One issue solved.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 10:57:40 PM »
Cool. One down, and a thousand to go.

I had a buddy on Long Island who raced those Karts. The thing weighs around a hundred pounds, and goes over 100mph. INSANE!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()