Author Topic: User manual says NO ethanol  (Read 4892 times)

2wheelfun

• View Profile
User manual says NO ethanol
« on: May 12, 2014, 07:19:17 PM »
Was reading the user guide and read that no ethanol is to be used at all. I'm like WTF, last time I saw pure gas at the pump was back in the 80s. If that's the case you can't drive the thing.........any opinions, experience on this matter with the warranty?

MN_Scoot

• View Profile
Re: User manual says NO ethanol
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 07:28:51 PM »
I didn't see anything like that in the user manual for my '07 Agility, but the mechanic where I bought mine was very passionate that ethanol "gums up the carburator!"

Still subsidy programs in Minnesota mean I also have very few options for "non-oxygenated" (keyword you should google in your area for non-ethanol gas).

I just rebuilt the carburator after close to 10,000 miles, and although a little dirty, did not seem excessively so for being 7 years old and using mostly ethanol gas.

That said, if I had a non-oxygenated gas pump closer than I do, I would absolutely use it every time.

Hope that helps.
2007 Kymco Agility 50
Stock other than Dr. Pulley Sliders and derestricted from the dealer.

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 09:12:19 PM »
Check this web site for pure gas in your area. http://pure-gas.org/

scoot safely,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 12:21:43 AM »
Was reading the user guide and read that no ethanol is to be used at all. I'm like WTF, last time I saw pure gas at the pump was back in the 80s. If that's the case you can't drive the thing.........any opinions, experience on this matter with the warranty?
5400 miles of trouble free riding over the past 12 mos (including 1 degree F. starting & riding this past winter - LOVE our fuel injection!) using BP 93 with a cap of Stabil Ethanol Treatment whenever I think of it in my LIKE200i.
Our scoots run fine with the only gas that is available to 99% of us in America.
That comment in the manual is a little scary ....but it does not apply to our real world.
Some folks can find ethanol free gas on web sites near them, or at boat docks....but you can probably count these folks on 2 hands...they keep thinking we can do what they can do.
Not so!
My KYMCO scoot runs fine on what is available....they could not sell too many in the States if they blew up on ethanol laced gas!
So, Relax...go for a nice evening ride.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 01:50:48 AM »
There is a twelve page thread on this forum that has quoted every study known to man on the issue. Everything you need to know is in that thread.

http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=5752.0

Then this one...

http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=5784.msg56881#msg56881
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 03:17:25 AM »
There is a twelve page thread on this forum that has quoted every study known to man on the issue. Everything you need to know is in that thread.

http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=5752.0

Then this one...

http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=5784.msg56881#msg56881

Hey! Axy's in there!

I have no issues with ethanol.... don't have a choice either.... and .. it's just a scooter!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 01:13:36 PM »
2Wheelfun, I certainly don't want to deny you the chance to fret! The other subject that really gets them exercised...is octane!
But what most of us have found is that our scooters run fine on g as with ethanol mixture and in octanes from 87 thru 93! I know of a 125cc scoot that is approaching 70,000 miles on the fuel you and I are using. As others have said, Kymco could not stay in business in USA if their products were detonating on our fuels. Use good oils, and change them often....and your scoot will last a long time.
Stig
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 01:15:27 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 05:57:12 PM »
Not fretting, no one has mentioned if warranty work has been declined because of ethanol use?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 09:06:52 PM »
Not fretting, no one has mentioned if warranty work has been declined because of ethanol use?
I have read of only a few warranty issues with the LIKE200i- and none of them were related to the ethanol in our gas.
I have not read of any Kymco scooter that had issues related to ethanol in our gas.
My dealer answered my questions months ago - They are not seeing ethanol caused issues in the modern scooters or motorcycles which they sell and service. There are no ethanol free pumps around here - yet the cycle dealers do a pretty good business every spring & summer.

If there are hundreds of modern 2 wheel riders out there experiencing mechanical problems related to the use of ethanol blended gasoline across N.America -they are keeping pretty quiet about it.

Please consider asking your dealer how to manage this issue in your area.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 01:26:51 AM »
I was a victim of ethanol problems in the 1970s when our government decided to use our province as ginuea pig for the Alcogas project....  10% was ok.. when government decided on 20% ethanol.. all problems began... destroyed my fuel pump, fuel filter, water contamination, vapor lock, etc.  Maybe because the engines before were not designed to take in ethanol... 

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 01:40:35 AM »
 "Maybe because the engines before were not designed to take in ethanol... "
Exactly why.

It's all in the thread but the main issues of Eth attacking the rubber blend gaskets has been solved, and all new vehicles brought into the US have Eth proof gaskets, and fuel systems. However the issue of gumming, corroding aluminum, and attracting water HAVE NOT been solved. Steps can be taken (by you) to solve the issues but nothing has been done by the fuel companies.

You are in a catch 22. You can use SeaFoam, or Sta-Bil Blue to neutralize the Eth. But it is still being put in the bike.
Square it away w/ your dealer. There is nothing else you can do.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 10:11:03 PM by zombie »
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 03:59:34 AM »

If that were the case Kymco would not be selling in the US as most states require ethanol in the mix.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 04:07:04 AM »
Exactly.

Look at the print dates on the manual. My bet is it's pre 1999 ;D
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 04:08:43 AM by zombie »

donandrews

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 05:03:20 AM »
Kymco Like 200i users manual copyright 2009  pg 12
"Fuel Recommendation
Use unleaded gasoline with a research octane number of 91 or higher. Unleaded gasoline will extend spark plug life."
(No mention of ethanol one way or the other.)
Peace and ride safe.
2012 Like 200i   
Lusting for People 300GTI, but recently purchased Vespa 250GTSie instead.
Brownsville OR 
Home of Willamette Country Music Festival and
movie "Stand By Me"

Normal is Relative

MN_Scoot

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 09:00:28 PM »
Just reiterating here for those who don't know, the 91 "research octane number" means about 87 in the method the US uses to measure octane.

http://forum.onlineconversion.com/showthread.php?t=5260

Kymco Like 200i users manual copyright 2009  pg 12
"Fuel Recommendation
Use unleaded gasoline with a research octane number of 91 or higher. Unleaded gasoline will extend spark plug life."
(No mention of ethanol one way or the other.)
Peace and ride safe.
2007 Kymco Agility 50
Stock other than Dr. Pulley Sliders and derestricted from the dealer.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()