Author Topic: Am I wasting my time??  (Read 2759 times)

bniesen

• View Profile
Am I wasting my time??
« on: March 22, 2011, 05:16:55 PM »
I have a 2005 people 50 2t, de-restricted cdi and boss drive. I have taken off the exhaust and could not see any restrictions and do not believe it to be one of the overly restricted versions (no extra tubes coming off exhaust). everything else is stock and I get a good 45mph. I want to acheive a solid 50-55 (actual mph).

My plan is to take the carb off and open up the main jet and open up the air filter box. The manuals say the stock jet is #85 (.85mm). I am thinking about opening it to #90(.91mm) - #92 (.92) by drilling the stock jet. I am going to open the air box up by drilling at least one 1/4 inch hole. I might go for a performance cone filter in place of the air filter box but I think it would be a waste if I can't get a hold of a better exhaust.

Will my plan get me to where I want to be without a performance exhaust???

dreflu

• View Profile
Re: Am I wasting my time??
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 03:45:29 PM »
im pretty sure you're gonna need the pipe for that. i took my pipe technigas pipe off to try something on the another scoot and lost all kinds of power and a good bit off my top end...... just my 2 cents

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 04:24:38 PM »
You should be able to achive 50mph , downhill with a tailwind . For 55 mph you will have io "kit" it . Reliability and longevity will likely suffer . Good luck .

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 06:03:05 AM »
A lot of people on here will disagree with me but I think the stock air box is great if your still @ 50cc. Just take out the rubber intake tube inside the cover and drill small holes in the cover till you get it running how you want it.

The mechanic at my dealership told me the people has the most unrestricted stock air box of any scooter. And no I don't have them do any work on my scooter was just talkin to him.
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

bniesen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 12:39:13 PM »
that is what I was thinking. But what can be said about the exhaust? I don't have the cash to plop down on exhaust. will the stock exhaust be able to keep up with opening the jet and air box??

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 02:04:46 AM »
I think they say Kymco changed the exhaust in 2005 and they changed again in 2009. 2009 and up are the ones that came with the lower tube coming off that goes nowhere and has really poor performance.(mine was that way).

Did you purchase your scoot new?

Some dealers offer to derestrict for a price and they do something to open up the exhaust as well as the other derestrictions. Yours may have been done like that. If your getting a good 45mph then you are doin pretty good. If the exhaust was derestricted by the dealer or any experienced mechanic they would have increased the size of the main jet.

You'll want to do whats called a "plug chop" any time you make any changes to intake or exhaust. Doing a plug chop will tell you if your engine is running rich or lean. The last thing you want to do is run it lean. Do a search for it you will find lots of detailed instructions.

Really a plug chop is the first thing you need to do. Opening up the main jet on any small engine that is already at the ideal air/fuel ratio will just make it run rich and actually hurt your performance. Like I said do a plug chop first and see where your at. Or you can go ahead and drill a hole or two in the air box cover then do your plug chop. Doing that you may need to increase main jet size but it won't be much. Going from an #85 to a #90 or #92 is a big jump.

Honestly if you want to hit 50-55 you will definitely need a full exhaust with expansion pipe. Everyone on here swears by Tecnigas pipes, so thats what I bought.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 02:10:35 AM by Peters »
*2001 ZX-50 beater

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
re: looking for help, please! having bogging issues with zx50
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 02:54:15 PM »
Have a look through some of art's posts, he spoke a bit about the exhaust on these scoots. I think they were restricted after 2004, and before that they were good for about 50mph. Check his posts, you will find good info.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

bniesen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 12:08:32 AM »
I opened the carb up to drain it and to unclog the jets; stupid me left a half tank of gas over the winter. The main jet had a M75 on it, leads me to believe that the main jet is a 75. I did a plug chop last fall and what I could tell is that the scooter was running just a little on the lean side.
The exhaust might not be deresricted, I took it off last year and there was no "cone" on the intake side BUT there looks to be something simular to a cone restriction on the very end of the exhaust.
By the way I took along a GPS unit to see exactly what MPH I was hitting. *sigh* Speedo says 45, GPS says 41.
This summer I might take the carb off again and take a weilding tip cleaner (or a micro drill bit set) and open it up to the next size up.
I'll start saving my pennies for a new exhaust. Any one recommend which Technigas??

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 04:17:50 AM »
As far as I know there are only two Tecnigas pipes for the people 2t. The "Next R" and the "RS 2". I bought the cheaper of the two the "Next R". I know a lot of people with 70cc or more kits use the "RS 2". Not sure if it will work with the stock top end. Don't see why not.

I bought mine from Moped Hospital Racing. They are located in Key West FL. You may be able to find it cheaper somewhere else but MHR is a good company. At least I have no complaints. Here I'll give you a link:
http://www.mhr-usa.com/

Yeah I have heard they put really small main jets in from the factory. Mine didn't have a number on the side so I don't know what mine was before I opened it up. Guess they do that because they are so restricted. You may want to go ahead and open up that main jet a little and put a small hole in the air box cover. It's really easy.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 04:20:01 AM by Peters »
*2001 ZX-50 beater

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()