Author Topic: P50 starts and idles, but boggs down if you give it gas  (Read 1334 times)

bigtexan99

• View Profile
P50 starts and idles, but boggs down if you give it gas
« on: March 06, 2011, 02:58:03 AM »
The 2004 People 50 has not seen much use this winter.   Tried to start it a few days ago and it will turn over and idle rough.  If you twist the throttle with the bike on the center stand, it just bogs down and dies.   I tried this more than a few times.

The next day, I went out and tried it again, and it started (with a kickstart, the battery is dead) and idled.  I twisted the throttle and it revved up and I held it at about half throttle for 4-6 minutes.     Smoky white exhaust that cleared up a little.   After about 5 minutes, I let it idle down.  When I tried to give it throttle again, it bogged down and died.

The next day, I started it, and after a few attempts was able to get it to rev up.   I jumped on it, and was able to ride it around the block at half to 3/4 throttle.   Got back to the house and idled.   You guessed it... any attempt to give it throttle causes it to bog down and die.

What's up with that?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 08:02:57 PM by bigtexan99 »

dreflu

• View Profile
Re: P50 starts and idles, but boggs down if you give it gas
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 12:51:30 PM »
two stroke or 4? i was having this same problem.

BBQ_tofu

• View Profile
Re: P50 starts and idles, but boggs down if you give it gas
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 08:54:55 PM »
Sounds like a dirty or gummed up carb.
There is a great tutorial on youtube detailing the steps to remove and clean the People 50 2T carb.

Hope this helps. 
A grain of poetry suffices to season a century.         

- José Martí

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()