Author Topic: how do you check an oil pump?  (Read 1537 times)

dreflu

• View Profile
how do you check an oil pump?
« on: March 03, 2011, 04:30:50 PM »
just got my 70cc kit today and i almost got it on but i need to know how to check the oil pump. i dont want to ruin a new cylinder

juice

• View Profile
Re: how do you check an oil pump?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 04:41:48 PM »
209  SKU: 15100-GAK-9500
PUMP ASSY OIL is a saleable item. 1 $52.26                                                                                                                  If you suspect your oil pump is bad you could replace it . Stadium Yamaha .

dreflu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 08:39:35 PM »
209  SKU: 15100-GAK-9500
PUMP ASSY OIL is a saleable item. 1 $52.26                                                                                                                  If you suspect your oil pump is bad you could replace it . Stadium Yamaha .

thanks but i was wondering how to check it. i just went ahead and pre mixed. but now im having other problems

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 09:32:30 PM »
I don't think you can just premix , you have to disconnect the oil pump and plug up the connections . Good luck .

sparko

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 02:58:48 AM »
I have a question. Being incapable of making a permanent decision in pretty much anything (but I did buy a house this year), I thought maybe I would just re-route my oil line that connects to the carb from the oil pump. I thought if I plugged the inlet hole on the carb and ran the oil line back to the oil reservoir I could decide if I liked the pre-mixing better than letting the oil pump do it for me. (Plus I will always have extra oil in case I forget to bring a bottle.) It lets me take one more variable out of the equation so I know the oil/gas mix is correct. I can always change it back down the road. any thoughts on this approach? :P

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 06:24:27 AM »
Some of the guys disconnect the cable to the pump -- that way it just injects a small amount of oil as if engine were idling.  Then they pre-mix too.

sparko

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 06:56:24 AM »
I guess I was hoping for a quick feedback on the viability of the proposed set-up. I don't even know what the mix is supposed to be much less what the pump is actually mixing it to. I know it is probably 40-1 for the '07 super 9 but not positive. Anyway, my biggest concern is if the oil pump takes a crap and I have no mix at all. So this basically is a way to avoid that without much work. Seems like adding 3.2 ounces of oil per gallon is easier than worrying if the mix is right. I guess I am kind of a control freak as well and not knowing if the pump works just right bothers me. Maybe I will just try it and report back good or bad. thanks for any input, people. :)

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 12:17:22 AM »
Dreflu - Don't risk that new cylinder with the stock oil injection pump!  Moving up in CCs changes the motor's needs - ESPECIALLY if you have to rejet/replace the carb.

Disconnect it and run premix, dude.

dreflu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 12:28:43 AM »
Dreflu - Don't risk that new cylinder with the stock oil injection pump!  Moving up in CCs changes the motor's needs - ESPECIALLY if you have to rejet/replace the carb.

Disconnect it and run premix, dude.

thanks and i did... before i even started it.... but i think i still ruined the cylinder. it was testing @ 150 lbs yesterday and today its down to 120 and wont start. im trying to find piston rings for the malossi kit now. i did something wrong somewhere. i had it pre mixed. and had the oil pump hooked up to start. im buying rings to try it again and if i still have no luck. she's getting parted out. and im going back to 4 strokes!!

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 05:21:50 PM »
Don't buy new rings just yet!  That bucket is brand new - The compression will be all over the place until it wears in.  There is no way you could have ruined it that quickly.

Before you compression test put a SMALL amount of oil in the cylindar and cycle it a few times.  If it is bone dry, you'll get bad readings too.

dreflu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 11:46:43 AM »
Don't buy new rings just yet!  That bucket is brand new - The compression will be all over the place until it wears in.  There is no way you could have ruined it that quickly.

Before you compression test put a SMALL amount of oil in the cylindar and cycle it a few times.  If it is bone dry, you'll get bad readings too.

thanks... i opened it up and they look good

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()