Author Topic: How to clean a textile jacket  (Read 2709 times)

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
How to clean a textile jacket
« on: August 03, 2016, 09:36:16 AM »
Hello everyone. I have a Hi-Viz Terra Fly Yellow/Black riding jacket that is starting to get dirty. Can anyone tell me the best way to clean it? I have tried washing it in my machine at home with regular laundry detergent and I got poor results. Would a dry-cleaner be the way to go? Any advice?
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: How to clean a textile jacket
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 10:36:37 AM »
Hello everyone. I have a Hi-Viz Terra Fly Yellow/Black riding jacket that is starting to get dirty. Can anyone tell me the best way to clean it? I have tried washing it in my machine at home with regular laundry detergent and I got poor results. Would a dry-cleaner be the way to go? Any advice?
I let it soak a good long time before starting the wash cycle. Use Tide or better yet Persil....gentle handwash cycle. Spot treat worst places first.
Not sure what drycleaning would do to hi vis color. Maybe nothing.
They do fade on their own. ...when I see mine on sale will buy another to replace three yr old jacket.
Stig
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 01:24:56 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 12:24:55 PM »
high vis is the hardest colors to keep clean from road grime, pre-treatment with Scotch Guard prior to even wearing it helps from grime setting in.

I put mine in my jacquzzi instead of washing machine and let the water jets agitate, using low sudsing (ce) detergent made for front loading washers

retreat with Scotch Guard after washing & drip dry
RandyO
IBA#9560

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 07:59:34 PM »
high vis is the hardest colors to keep clean from road grime, pre-treatment with Scotch Guard prior to even wearing it helps from grime setting in.

I put mine in my jacquzzi instead of washing machine and let the water jets agitate, using low sudsing (ce) detergent made for front loading washers

retreat with Scotch Guard after washing & drip dry

Are you wearing the jacket in the Jacuzzi?  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 08:04:15 PM by Mr. Paul »
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 08:22:52 PM »
I have a Scorpion and Speed and Strength Hi Viz jackets. I spray down with Shout and wash in the delicate (cold water) cycle. When done I hang to air dry. The Scorpion is 4 years old and looks like new even after 20+ washings. The Speed and Strength is faded. Both cost the same. I will never buy Speed and Strength again.

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 06:16:51 PM »
I was just thinking about this the other day. Thanks for the tips guys. My hi-viz jacket is a little over 2yrs old and starting to show some dirt, especially around the collar area. How many days should I count for a drip dry?
Wayne

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 06:30:37 PM »
I was just thinking about this the other day. Thanks for the tips guys. My hi-viz jacket is a little over 2yrs old and starting to show some dirt, especially around the collar area. How many days should I count for a drip dry?
Wearing it while doing a brake job on the family SUV....about 4 days.
Hanging in the hallway.....6 hrs.
Ready to ride on a hot afternoon....wear it wet!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 06:56:36 PM »
I should add that the armor padding could rip if not careful removing or replacing. Both the shoulder pads from the Speed and Strength ripped. Super Glue did the trick to repair them. Yet another reason I won't buy Speed and Strength again. While still on my soapbox, I tried several times to contact Speed and Strength about replacement pads and got no answer. 3rd reason not to buy from Speed and Strength. Sorry, rant over.  ;D

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 07:27:17 PM »
I have a Scorpion and Speed and Strength Hi Viz jackets. I spray down with Shout and wash in the delicate (cold water) cycle. When done I hang to air dry. The Scorpion is 4 years old and looks like new even after 20+ washings. The Speed and Strength is faded. Both cost the same. I will never buy Speed and Strength again.

So If I stand back and let my wife spray it with her shouting at me it will get clean...............................LOL..........

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 09:25:59 PM »
I should add that the armor padding could rip if not careful removing or replacing. Both the shoulder pads from the Speed and Strength ripped. Super Glue did the trick to repair them. Yet another reason I won't buy Speed and Strength again. While still on my soapbox, I tried several times to contact Speed and Strength about replacement pads and got no answer. 3rd reason not to buy from Speed and Strength. Sorry, rant over.  ;D
I can recommend the Orange D30 armor.  Pliable. ..tough...supposed to be good protection.
Have it in both jackets snd pants.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 10:05:41 PM »
Thanks everyone. I will shout, soak, wash, and drip. Blue, you are hilarious!
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 10:59:41 PM »
So If I stand back and let my wife spray it with her shouting at me it will get clean...............................LOL..........

In your case I suggest a daily dosing.  ;)

gn2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2016, 07:49:48 AM »
Nikwax wash: http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/products/productdetail.php?productid=4
Then Nikwax proofing: http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/products/productdetail.php?productid=3&itemid=-1&fabricid=-1

In the UK large size bottles are sometimes available from Tesco online or Amazon at good prices.

EDIT: just had a look and Tesco have a promotion on right now: http://www.tesco.com/direct/special-offer/buy-one-get-one-free-on-all-nikwax/promo40380060.promo
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 07:52:11 AM by gn2 »

paceneedsstides

• Cuz I can't drive...55!!...No I mean that I try...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2016, 09:02:54 PM »
on both my bilt jackets I take the armor out of elbows and shoulders and back before washing. . . my one cent. .  .
2013 Kymco/Malossi Like 70 2T
Technigas Next R Chrome exhaust
Malossi Dellorto 19mm Carb
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Malossi Blue Rear Pulley Spring
Malossi Torsion controller
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit
Malossi PHBG Open Racing Filter Chrome Covered

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2016, 12:35:52 AM »
Wash on delicate, spin on low then air dry in the dryer for 10 min. Then hang dry , in front of a fan works.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()