Author Topic: Downtown no start  (Read 805 times)

Snorvey

• View Profile
Downtown no start
« on: November 04, 2018, 10:18:33 AM »
Sorry I've not been on here for while. I still have the DT, but this year it's only be used for boring commuting.

Anyway......I need your help. I went to plug in my trickle charger this morning and thought I heard a faint whirring sound. Maybe not.

When I went to start it the dials were all a bit crazy (even more so when I pulled on the brake to start it). When I hit the starter there was nothing apart from a strained electrical sound and a clicking. I should also say that the light switch was left on the on position overnight. It ran fine yesterday.

The battery is now on a proper charger. I guessing that it is the battery that's the likely problem here? It's about 3 years old.

Many thanks in advance guys.

Snorvey

• View Profile
Re: Downtown no start
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 12:02:27 PM »
As you were. Problem solved.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 09:04:40 PM »
Oh, nooooo you don't! We wanna know how "problem solved" word for word! You ain't gonna get off that easy! Now, c'mon. Fess up.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 06:04:59 PM »
Oh, nooooo you don't! We wanna know how "problem solved" word for word! You ain't gonna get off that easy! Now, c'mon. Fess up.

Hi Karl

When I say 'problem solved' I mean I charged the battery for an hour or so and it fired up no problem. And the next morning too (after a long-ish run out). The problem is not solved to the extent that I don't know why the battery discharged. I've carefully left the light switch 'off' each time I've parked up, but I don't know if that was the issue in the first place. I've also removed the trickle charger 'pigtail' (actually, I forgot to re-attach it after taking the battery out  ;D)

Cheers

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 07:46:58 PM »
 I found that my seat was not closed , and the light was on all night in the met in box under the seat, to remove the problem I took the light out and installed a plug for the GPS,  or a battery charger

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 08:18:30 PM »
OK, then.

Karl picked up his yellow flag....and play resumed.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 10:56:17 PM »
You dint think I'd let him off with that old, "problem solved(see ya!)" didja?
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 12:32:32 AM »
Huh? How can you leave the light on? Other than the met box light all electrical circuits are off on my DT300i when the key is turned to "off".

You need a new battery is my opinion.
2009 GV 250

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 04:25:35 AM »
Pop the seat and the met in light on the panel and in the tub are on. Pull the key out and go into the house and both are still on. Next morning is a "no start" morning!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 01:37:19 AM »
Huh? How can you leave the light on? Other than the met box light all electrical circuits are off on my DT300i when the key is turned to "off".

You need a new battery is my opinion.
my downtown is 2011 model   the lite is on all the time when the seat is open,.   

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 01:03:53 PM »

It was the only thing that *I think* it could have been (i.e. the switch was in the ON position)

I disconnected the underseat light ages ago - mainly because it was as much use as a condom machine in the Vatican and also to prevent it being left on an discharging the battery.

So I don't really know what caused the battery to discharge. It's been fine since I recharged it and got the bike started.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()