Author Topic: cold weather starting problem  (Read 16624 times)

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
Re: cold weather starting problem
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2009, 08:23:26 PM »
Geezzzz  that means tonight in Kentucky it's gonna be (.555)*(19-32)= -7.72 degrees C, I freezing just thinking about it.  That's definitely below my riding weather cut off, not counting the 50 MPH wind gusts or should I say 80 KPH gusts.  Then there is the stuff that's starting to fall from the sky. 

Rozz when are you heading for Georgia?
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)
DNA Paternity Testing www.accugendna.com

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2009, 10:56:01 PM »
Geezzzz  that means tonight in Kentucky it's gonna be (.555)*(19-32)= -7.72 degrees C, I freezing just thinking about it.  That's definitely below my riding weather cut off, not counting the 50 MPH wind gusts or should I say 80 KPH gusts.  Then there is the stuff that's starting to fall from the sky. 

Rozz when are you heading for Georgia?

-8 C is quite acceptable to me. :)
The lowest I've seen and drove through is -11C.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2009, 09:23:54 PM »
-11 C (12 F), too cold for me.   
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2009, 12:16:22 AM »
-11 C (12 F), too cold for me.   

Well, not that different than -8. :)
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Rozz

• Picture taken on Mount Smokey, Cape Breton
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2009, 02:53:57 AM »
We're heading south this Thurs.  Georgia has been upgraded to Florida--Venice Beach.  I am trying not to think about snakes and alligators too much without success.  It's a balmy 35F here today, very wet, no snow.

My bike came home today after spending a month with the dealer.  It apparently started  every day without problems, not so once it came home.  Thump, thump, and that's about it.  The gas gauge is on "E"--could that be the problem?

Tomorrow I'll put some petrol in the reservoir and see what happens.

I am seriously thinking of trading the damned thing in on a Vespa or a Honda Silverwing or maybe just giving up on riding completely.

Please, someone tell me this bike is a good bike.  I am so discouraged with it.

Merry Christmas, everyone.  I may be on line in the south--don't know yet.
Rozz
2008 Xciting 500ri (Hers)
2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 900cc (His)

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2009, 10:54:37 AM »
What do you mean by "the gas gauge is on "E""? Did you put gasoline in it?

We're heading south this Thurs.  Georgia has been upgraded to Florida--Venice Beach.  I am trying not to think about snakes and alligators too much without success.  It's a balmy 35F here today, very wet, no snow.

My bike came home today after spending a month with the dealer.  It apparently started  every day without problems, not so once it came home.  Thump, thump, and that's about it.  The gas gauge is on "E"--could that be the problem?

Tomorrow I'll put some petrol in the reservoir and see what happens.

I am seriously thinking of trading the damned thing in on a Vespa or a Honda Silverwing or maybe just giving up on riding completely.

Please, someone tell me this bike is a good bike.  I am so discouraged with it.

Merry Christmas, everyone.  I may be on line in the south--don't know yet.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2009, 10:57:09 AM »
28 F here. First snow this year, just started falling when I was going out of the house.

Just came to work (13 km ride) on P250S. :)

Saw two more 2-wheelers on the way to work - one little Baotian 50 cc scooter and a guy on a custom bike. :)

Forecast says 14 F by Friday. Let`s wait and see. :) :)
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2009, 08:39:17 PM »
Rozz, Make sure ya got gas in the thing, otherwise it does not make sense.  If it starts at the dealer it will start at home. 

You' all driving or flying?
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)

Rozz

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2009, 12:48:22 AM »
Yes, guys, I put gas in the thing.  Dealer has gone over the machine with the proverbial fine toothed comb.  Replaced the battery and I have a new battery tender so the charge is good.  Just tried to start it again--no can do.  Lots of life, no spark.
My husband says it's a lemon.  My dealer says  there's nothing wrong with it.  No one understands why it stops going.

We're leaving this Thurs. in the a.m.  I am trusting that the problem will be sorted out by then.  We'll bring the bike and hope it goes in the warmer climate. 

I don't know what I'll do if I still have the problem when I return.  I don't really want to buy another bike.  I like this one fine when it works--but I am losing my patience that's for sure.

Is it really cold in Kentucky?  I thought southern states never got snow.   Shows you how much I know.

We haven't had any snow here--few flurries.  Even a few hardy flowers still in garden and the grass is quite green (and soggy).

I can't wait to get away.
Rozz
Rozz

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2009, 01:16:35 AM »
Haven't you heard of Kentucy Yankies? The Florida Keys are the ONLY southern "states" that I know of! True it does not get as cold as New Jersey, and north of there, but it is COLD even in N. FLA. Anyway... There are a few things that may be causing your problem. First I would suspect the on board computer itself. If you run voltage down below acceptable limits to the computer there is a law of electronics that replaces the lack of voltage with increased amperage; meaning the computer may have toasted a process needed to function. There are also a dozen or more reasons for the trouble you are having, and I feel the DEALER should spend more time looking for the problem instead of starting it in the morning, letting it idle until lunch, and calling you to say it is fine! I mean NO offense to anyone involved. Intermittent problems can ONLY be found with time or changing EVERY part involved. In either case the "dealer" doesn't make out! Keep your patience, and it will work out. Safe trip to the south, and if you decide you need a puppy to bring home w/ you, I have the prettiest pups ever. Ready to go...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Rozz

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2009, 05:40:40 AM »
Hi Zombie,
I really appreciate your expert advice.  I am quite useless when it comes to things mechanical or technical never mind electrical.  And no, I've never heard of a Kentucky Yankee although it sounds as tho' that may be the opposite of a "Chinook" which we don't get here either.

I've copied your response and will send it to my husband.

I don't think my "dealer" has only started the bike and run it until noon.  There has been a lot of back and forth and a number of things tested and replaced.

He is situated about an hour north of me in a much colder and snowy location and has really bent over backward to try and find out what is going on with my bike.

I really thought he had the thing working great until we got it home and it wouldn't go.

Trouble is we don't know how much our cold is contributing to the problem.  Most riders here stop before it gets this chilly so may never encounter a starting problem since they don't fire it up again before the spring.

I have never had to work through something like this before so I am afraid that I fall down on the side of let's get a new bike.  Not sure how that's going to fly with my old man since this is my third bike in four years.

He is after me to switch to a motorcycle.  I think I'm too old to make the effort.

Maybe when we're in Florida I'll see if I can ride his Kawasaki.  Perhaps this is just the Motorcycle Angel pushing me in the direction I need to go.  Or maybe the cold is really getting to me and I'm getting a little fuzzy in the head.

Hope things warm up wherever you are that you have a Merry Christmas if you celebrate the season, and relaxing holiday if you don't.
Rozz
Rozz

Rozz

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2009, 05:48:02 AM »
Oh, and I forgot to respond to your generous offer of a sweet puppy.  What kind are they?  I am a big fan when it comes to canines.  We have two.  A big black lab mutt named Dizzy - she's 8 and a dear little Dalmointer named Rigo (Roderigo) - he's 6.
They are both coming with us.  Can't leave the kids at home.
I have to decline on the adoption front as our pups are trifle possessive. 

Now about those alligators....
Rozz

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2009, 08:49:46 AM »
Rozz, You sound cool as sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssshutff!  Maybe a real bike is the answer. My pups a PITPEI"S or SHARPITS. Pit Bull/Sharpei. I have posted picts of my scoot, and found I am not savvy enough to put up picts as a regular thing. Can you here them? RRROUGH RouGH WOUGH! I love my little BABIES.! Shaka, and word slinger are getting pups for Christmas. They just didn't know it till now. You will get one also! I plan to take all of Santas good stuff, and replace it w/ puppies. Hope I can figure out how to whisper Reindeer. Merry XMASS, and Mass Iridium !!! See you guys on the flip flop...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Rozz

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2009, 04:15:39 PM »
Awww, sharpits/pitpeis sound very wrinkly.  I bet they're cute as all get out.  The province of Ontario has a Pitbull ban.  I belong to a Pitbull site to ban the ban--I don't think they're having much luck--stupid politicians haven't figured out it's not the dog that needs banning.
Can you send pictures on my e-mail?  I think it's on my profile.
I can hear those little guys woofing--my lazybones pups are snoring.  When I came downstairs this morning, the big one plodded upstairs to my bed.  She loves her comfort.
They're coming with us to Fla., that's why I'm worrying about alligators.  We'll keep them leashed, else Dizzy will plunge into that river for sure.  She loves the water big time.
R
Rozz

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2009, 06:07:39 PM »
Kentucky Yankees, I guess it's like cold, it's all relative.  I'm from Mississippi and down there Kentucky is northern, then I have relatives in Michigan and they think Kentucky is southern.  Here I guess ya got your pick...  I looked up Cape Breton Highlands and that's pretty far north.  Gee Rozz there doesn't seem to be much an hour north of there.  When you all are talking cold you mean COLD...  Year before last I rode the Wing up there.  Took the Cat across from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth (what a cool ride).  It was middle of July and 55 degrees F there.  We were cold and everyone that lived there was in shorts and talking about how warm it was.  Made a loop, what awesome riding and the coast is just gorgeous.  I wished we had more time to ride but were on a tight schedule.  We only had two weeks to do about 5500 miles and were camping as well.
I guess if you haul the scooter to Florida and it starts ok that will add a bit more information to the puzzle.  Enjoy your trip to warmer weather and if you can keep us posted.  At 35 degrees F my X500 fires right up by pressing the starter button only, no throttle needed.  Now my wifes Scarabeo requires a special touch.  You hit the starter once and turn the engine over for about 1 or 2 seconds, then hit the starter a second time and it starts right up.  If you hold the starter that first time it will crank and crank and not start.  Go figure, we just learned that that's how you have to start it when cold...
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()