Author Topic: Kymco People 150 Drive Train Upgrade-itis Rant  (Read 560 times)

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
Kymco People 150 Drive Train Upgrade-itis Rant
« on: January 30, 2016, 12:40:36 PM »
    I purchased a 2009 Kymco People 150 a few months ago and immediately started to add parts in hopes to improve its performance and longevity. I replaced the drive belt with a kevlar one. I replaced the rear contra spring with a stiffer one. I replaced the original variator rollers with sliders. And the list goes on and on.
   None of these "upgrades" improved performance one bit. In most cases the performance was worse! I have come to the conclusion that the engineers who designed the ENTIRE drive system on the Kymco People 150 know more than I do about what works best for that model. I have since replaced the drive parts with original Kymco parts and am very happy to ride and enjoy a well made and well designed machine. 
   I now have a newfound respect for the people that made this machine. They really knew what they were doing. Instead of upgrading, I am researching the  next scooter for me when the time comes. It will have a little more  cubic centimeters ;-)

2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

GLV55

• View Profile
Re: Kymco People 150 Drive Train Upgrade-itis Rant
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 04:36:36 AM »
I hear what you're saying. I never had any desire to change anything on my P150 because it was just such a smooth running, solid machine. I say just enjoy the ride, and then when a part wears out, look into replacing it with an upgrade, but only if you are sure it will be an improvement. Thanks for your insight and honesty. Let's just enjoy what the engineers have designed and not worry about the devil in the details.
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Kymco People 150 Drive Train Upgrade-itis Rant
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 11:54:54 PM »
I hear what you're saying. I never had any desire to change anything on my P150 because it was just such a smooth running, solid machine. I say just enjoy the ride, and then when a part wears out, look into replacing it with an upgrade, but only if you are sure it will be an improvement. Thanks for your insight and honesty. Let's just enjoy what the engineers have designed and not worry about the devil in the details.
+1
This one from the OP made me smile.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()