Author Topic: Problems- Wont stay running  (Read 3112 times)

mntrader

• View Profile
Problems- Wont stay running
« on: September 14, 2010, 02:07:01 PM »
I have 2003 ZX50 with 2200 Kilomters.

Here is the deal. I bought scooter 1 year ago and ran fine for a couple months. It would run great and then just die on the road. I would would wait 20 minutes and it would start again and run for 10 minute and dye. So 2 weeks ago, I finally put in shop. Shop replace spark plug and fuel filter. Fuel filter was very dirty. I ran scooter last night. Drove great until about 45 minutes later it died. Had to wait about 10 minutes, started right back up, drove another 10 minutes to apartment and died again. So here is my question. is it possible there is still some debri in gas tank that is clogging filter and as the scooter runs, it agitates the debris in tank?? I am planning to emptying gas through coffee filter to see if gas is dirty. But I don't how to get to filter. Does filter have replacement cartridges or just need a new filter all together?

Any advice would be great as I love the scooter.

MNT

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
Re: Problems- Wont stay running
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 02:26:02 PM »
To get to the inline filter it is easier to remove the plastic body, not hard. Replace that filter. To remove the petcock you will have to remove the body. When you take out the petcock there is a strainer, clean that and reuse. If it is dieing and restarting after a cool down, it sounds like it might be electrical, I have heard of cdi units giving this sort of problem.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

mntrader

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 02:46:49 PM »
Thanks for the information. I would have thought the shop would checked the CDI issue, but perhaps not. I will do the filter first and see if it is full of gunk yet. When I remove the shell, does that include the seat also??

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 03:51:26 PM »
Yeah, remove the rear rack, the seat and met-in box can come out together, remove the panel under the tail light, 2 screws + 2 nuts, remove the 2 screws on the corners by the tail light, remove the battery cover, lift the 2 rear corners of the floor mat and take out the 2 bolts. You should be able to take the body off the scooter, being careful not to break it.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()