Author Topic: New Owner, Need Speed, Basic staight forward stuff please  (Read 1825 times)

Tazmc5

• View Profile
New Owner, Need Speed, Basic staight forward stuff please
« on: July 18, 2010, 04:58:51 AM »
Hello, I just purchased a 2002 ZX50 for a steal ($150) I changed the plug and it fired right up and runs strong. I have been reviewing posts on upgrades and its all back and forth info. I am looking for items from basic to advanced and a web site to oder them from. I will figure it out on how to derestrict but I want more then that, Bore Kit, exhaust...anything to add speed! Thank you in advance! And web links will be appreciated!

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
Re: New Owner, Need Speed, Basic staight forward stuff please
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 05:58:20 AM »
G'day Taz, first thing, derestrict the variator and cdi if they have not been done yet, though at that age I would reckon it has been done. To derestrict the cdi on the ZX, bridge the light green and dark green wires, this will eliminate the rev limiter. If the drive boss has a shoulder on it, then that will need to be machined off to allow the variator to close fully, giving you your top speed. With regard to upgrades there are a number of options. First the variator rollers, you could try lighter for better pick up, clutch fly springs are another option, I am running 1500 fly springs (higher revs before take off). Cylinder kits are abound, I bought one from an ebay seller, cheap price, and poor quality to go with it, see my 82cc upgrade in this section. Most people suggest Malossi or Polini, I think Polini is the one to look for. A high flow air filter with a larger main jet is also a step in the right direction, as for exhausts, Technigas is supposed to be up with the best though I can't speak from experience on that one.
If you have bought the scoot for something to play around with, you are in for a lot of fun, it just seems to be endless what you can do with them. My mods on the cheap have been a bit of a headache, but that is what learning is all about.
Welcome to the forum, lots of people here willing to help.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

art

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 07:00:50 AM »
Welcome  to the forum Taz as you can see not that easy,but all is possible.First get that thing tuned to the best of your abbility,might be better then ya think,Than Think about mods.they can be done.The pipe and airbox  are the most Important +++ jetting+++. Bolting things on mean nothing if you don't know what they do!!!
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 05:45:30 PM »
...Welcome to th' Forum Tazmc5!!..

...reckon they covered all the bases, but as you go along, post back!!

..we'd be glad to help you in any way!!

peace
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 11:20:46 PM »
welcome to the forum..........you shall find lots of info here.... i am still with mild mods myself....so far....lmao.....if you look at my or sids, for the zx, all threads have links in them.. i myself am on a cell phone so i cant post any.. know the names tho...
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

robmsz

• Keepem poppin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 11:23:36 AM »
Welcome !

You have definitely come to the right place! If you have the time & cash, be prepared to go for a RIDE!

It's has probably been already covered, but the the easiest most cost effective way to scoot to the moon is derestrict your CDI & variator (if they are not already) then open up your airways (carbatooter & exhaust).
‘04 zx50 Stock

‘’07 Kawasaki, EN 500

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()