Author Topic: ZX-50 CDI AC or DC that is the question ?  (Read 10007 times)

robmsz

• Keepem poppin!
    • View Profile
ZX-50 CDI AC or DC that is the question ?
« on: June 18, 2010, 04:06:12 PM »
Before I buy A CDI unit for my '04 ZX-50 I need to know whether it's A AC or DC unit.

I've heard that the difference is if I have a an alternator it would be AC and the rectifier would change it to DC and a generator would make it a DC CDI ? I'm not sure if this is right so if anyone can clarify this it would be a great help!

UPDATE....! ! ! I just received a callback from KYMCO in N.C. and was told it uses BOTH AC & DC circuitry & it is model specific. Now I don't know if I was told that for job security or there is such thing as both A AC/DC CDI. I almost bought one today that was DC and canceled my order because I thought I read somewhere that the CDI was AC.

So if anyone knows any different let me know.....

Has ANYONE had ANY experience with buying a CDI from the states?

After I install it I'll report back with who I purchased it from,price + shipping,how long it took to receive & how long it lasted if applicable.

I'd also like to know what the ZX-50 engine is generally called EX; GY6 ? or something to that effect?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 08:50:17 PM by robmsz »
‘04 zx50 Stock

‘’07 Kawasaki, EN 500

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
Re: ZX-50 CDI AC or DC that is the question ?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 11:26:16 PM »
I don't know about the cdi, but I think the engine is SC10.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

robmsz

• Keepem poppin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 06:03:20 AM »
Anyone know anymore about the ZX-50 CDI?

anyone?
‘04 zx50 Stock

‘’07 Kawasaki, EN 500

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 06:58:18 AM »
Ac fired Bro! You're on the right track going to Suitai. Theirs is made for the zx, and nothing else.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

robmsz

• Keepem poppin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 01:15:47 PM »
Thats what I figured then! It's not some outrageous AC/DC hybrid that I can ONLY get from KYMCO!

As long as it's an AC CDI and the plugs match it should work then right?

The reason I ask is because I just might go with another one so I can limp by while I'm waiting for one from SUTAI & I wanted to make sure that I was looking in the right area before I started sampling DC CDI's on top of the AC ones!

I'll have to wait till Sunday night to order one from SUTAI because it should be Monday morning then in Taipei, Taiwan.

This way I can leave a review about the supplier and the CDI itself.
‘04 zx50 Stock

‘’07 Kawasaki, EN 500

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 01:36:28 AM »
...so...i thought the ppl 50 and the zx engines were kinda the same...but from what i've read, the ppl has a dc cdi...hmmm..
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 04:11:30 AM »
I have a stator that will convert yours to ac if you want. Then all you need to change is the wiring to the cdi. That is the ONLY difference in the two engines
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 08:48:35 PM »
now i uave a ? about our cdi's... my cdi took another smack the other day when it was soooo hot here(89-90),humid as crap. anyway my cdi took a smack against shroud and exhaust and then the exhaust proceded to dry crack a portion of the cdi box itself on the ride home(never new it was hanging till i made it home). i would even swear it "skipped" several different times going over a rough patchs(like cut out, skip, idk)(rpms changed for sure).. i would also swear that i have lost upwards of 3mph.. otherwise starts great, etc. could you lose any top performance but retain all else on the cdi or will it just die out????   seen that cdi at s a, same as suitai huh? seems everybody has issues there..lol. wondering if that will become an issue down the road for me???
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 10:22:26 PM »
I have a stator that will convert yours to ac if you want

..is there an advantage in switching to ac?

robmsz

• Keepem poppin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 10:39:07 PM »
I wouldn't think there is an advantage, that's just the way its set up.
‘04 zx50 Stock

‘’07 Kawasaki, EN 500

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 10:41:00 PM »
...cool...oem stays then... 

;D

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 12:06:27 AM »
now i uave a ? about our cdi's... my cdi took another smack the other day when it was soooo hot here(89-90),humid as crap. anyway my cdi took a smack against shroud and exhaust and then the exhaust proceded to dry crack a portion of the cdi box itself on the ride home(never new it was hanging till i made it home). i would even swear it "skipped" several different times going over a rough patchs(like cut out, skip, idk)(rpms changed for sure).. i would also swear that i have lost upwards of 3mph.. otherwise starts great, etc. could you lose any top performance but retain all else on the cdi or will it just die out???? seen that cdi at s a, same as suitai huh? seems everybody has issues there..lol. wondering if that will become an issue down the road for me???
                she seems ok but seems to be weaker by a slight touch....am i just tripping??? (hippie grass dont make you trip..lmao)
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 07:08:26 PM »
Heat is the enemy of the cdi. It is possible that it got damaged by melting on the pipe. I have had them just outright fail, and no more spark. I have had them heat up, and not run again until cool. I have also had them sputter as if it was only firing every second or third revolution. I guess it could loose some of it's UMPH. The only way to be sure is to try another one.

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 08:16:49 PM »
thanks for answering zombie....ahhh crap, thats what i was thinking, she still fires, etc. but seems to have lost a slight touch of that umph!... guess ill have to make that trip to s.a(would really piss you off if out and about and quit)...lmao
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

robmsz

• Keepem poppin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 08:24:41 PM »
(would really piss you off if out and about and quit)

IT DID& I AM  ! ! ! ! ! >:(
‘04 zx50 Stock

‘’07 Kawasaki, EN 500

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()