Author Topic: Need advice from the ZX-50 GURU'S VIDDY ADDED  (Read 12138 times)

robmsz

• Keepem poppin!
    • View Profile
Re: Need advice from the ZX-50 GURU'S VIDDY ADDED
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2010, 03:41:03 AM »
No I haven't cked them yet. All i think different settings on the ohm meter will do is chng the decimal point place correct?

I was just going to see if the ZX-50 has an automatic petcock because if I recall when I pulled of the gas line, the gas didn't free flow out but rather just trickled.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 11:16:14 PM by robmsz »
‘04 zx50 Stock

‘’07 Kawasaki, EN 500

Shaka

• View Profile
Re: Need advice from the ZX-50 GURU'S no-start problem
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2010, 03:46:09 AM »
The voltmeter won't read correctly if you have it in too low of setting.  Try using the highest setting, 2000K and see what it says.

The petcock is vacuum actuated.  There has to be vacuum applied to the vacuum line for fuel to flow.

robmsz

• Keepem poppin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2010, 03:52:05 AM »
Yes I just chked & it is a auto fuel valve. I think I'm going to do a little more right now and put the carb. back on and retest the CDI.

I just replaced the carb after cleaning thoroughly and its still not accelerating. I'm guessing its the CDI unit unless there is something else preventing it from gaining any kind of rpm's.

It starts right up and idles fine. just cant accelerate AT ALL!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 05:05:10 AM by robmsz »
‘04 zx50 Stock

‘’07 Kawasaki, EN 500

robmsz

• Keepem poppin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2010, 05:43:53 AM »
A/C charging unit cks out OK

Coil cks out OK

Does anyone know where I can get a cheap CDI unit to get me going until I can get one from the commies?
‘04 zx50 Stock

‘’07 Kawasaki, EN 500

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2010, 06:01:09 AM »
I think I may have read about someone using this one, not certain it will work though.  You may have to cut and splice some wires if the plugs don't fit.  I think the main thing is getting one that is either A/C or D/C.  They make cdi's that run on either and I can't remember off hand which the ZX50 uses.  You should be able to look at the wiring diagram to figure it out.  If the stator runs direct to the cdi it's A/C, if it runs through the voltage regulator first it's D/C.

http://www.partsforscooters.com/169-27-Performance-CDI

I've ordered parts from these guys before and they were fairly quick with shipping.  The other option is go to your local dealer and they may have one in stock or be able to get it in a day or two.  The downside is they will want about $90!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2010, 06:50:06 AM »
http://www.stadiumyamaha.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/default.aspx   You can get the fact. cdi here. It's about 70 bucks delivered. You should get it in under a week. It is an AC fired cdi. Did you remove the jets to clean them or just blow the carb out after soaking? The reason I ask is I have never heard of a cdi that will idle, and not rev. It is possible I guess, but I still believe your problem is in the main circuit in the carb. Either way post , and let us know.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

robmsz

• Keepem poppin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2010, 11:32:48 AM »
yes I removed the main jet,both adj. screws and the float. I looked through the main jet and the hole was wide open both before and after i cleaned it.

I'm not sure what the readings are supposed to read on what scale but i posted both scales 200k & 2000k. it was a digital ohm meter also. I don't know if that makes a difference or not because both my analog meters are crapped out. I suppose just for the hell of it I'll get another analog meter and see what i get with that.

in the meantime I'm going to call around and see what I can do for a cheap cdi unit until I can a better one shipped from Taiwan.

‘04 zx50 Stock

‘’07 Kawasaki, EN 500

mr pibbs

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2010, 11:58:35 AM »
I would clean the carb again.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2010, 01:43:01 PM »
The manual I have shows the cdi test as follows... 100 ohm range on the meter.. Bla/rd & bla/w=1~10    blu/yel & bla/rd=3~40   blu/yel & bla/wh=80~100   blu/yel & gre=10~30   gre & bla/re=2~10   gre & bla/wh=10~30. Set your meter to the value in the manual and give it another try. The sensitivity changes, and that will affect the reading. Did you also remove and clean the atomizer for the main jet? That is still where my money is at!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

robmsz

• Keepem poppin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2010, 10:42:24 PM »
That was my thinking too that it was/is a carb problem.

I unscrewed the main jet (is that the atomizer your talking about?), both adj. screws, removed the float, popped out the float valve and removes all the rubber gaskets. let it soak in carb. cleaner for awhile, blew everything out with the blow gun on my compressor, looked through the main jet to make sure it was clean, slapped it all back together, put all the hoses back on, readjusted the carb, reinstalled it and got the same results.

Then I started it back up, idles just fine. when i crack the throttle wide open it smokes out the back like its running rich, it seems as if I'm just not getting spark advance.

While I was holding the throttle wide open I sparayed some starter fluid in the carb and it stalled out rather than pick up rpms.

I held my hand over the opening in the carb. with my hand with the throttle wide open and it still ran alibeit MORE smoke out the muffler with gas dripping out the carb opening.

Which leads me to believe it has something to do with spark advance.

In a bit I'm just going to have to get an ohm meter with a 100k scale I guess. To check the CDI unit. I should post a YOUTUBE VIDDY of what I'm doing & what it sounds like.....

I just rechecked the CDI with a 100k scale ohm meter and out of the six reading only half were in spec. the other 3 were WAY off. Still don't know if I'm reading it right, but it doesnt look right to me.

CIMG3674.MOV
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 12:01:06 AM by robmsz »
‘04 zx50 Stock

‘’07 Kawasaki, EN 500

mudfreek

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2010, 11:48:53 PM »
try puting ice on the cdi and see if that helps mine just started doin that
ehh brakes are for sissies

robmsz

• Keepem poppin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2010, 12:02:57 AM »
I'll throw it in the freezer for a bit just like getting a hard drive to work.....HEY ITS WORTH A TRY !

Yours just started only idling and not accelerating too?
‘04 zx50 Stock

‘’07 Kawasaki, EN 500

mudfreek

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2010, 12:30:17 AM »
yeah for the most part  it will accelerate but not verry well
ehh brakes are for sissies

robmsz

• Keepem poppin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2010, 01:15:10 AM »
As I read your post, I remembered the CDI in the freezer! I hooked it up and now it won't start AT ALL! I dunno, but I'm baffled!

I just checked for spark TOO and NOTHING now!

My guess since the only thing thats different was freezing the CDI unit that it has to be the CDI unit.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 01:25:01 AM by robmsz »
‘04 zx50 Stock

‘’07 Kawasaki, EN 500

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2010, 03:45:27 AM »
It kinda sounds like it's running real rich and bogging.  Have you tried pulling the exhaust off and starting it without?  The exhaust may be partially plugged.  Also try slowing covering the carb with your fingers when it's idling to see if you can get it too lean out a bit and rev up.  It just seems odd to me that it would idle and have a bad cdi.  I somewhat suspect something different, be it the stator or voltage regulator causing the cdi to go haywire, or something with the intake/exhaust system not flowing properly.  Have you pulled the reed block off to inspect it?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()