Author Topic: Fitting rear inner fender with 130 rear tire  (Read 8229 times)

Shaka

• View Profile
Fitting rear inner fender with 130 rear tire
« on: January 14, 2010, 09:50:01 PM »
This question may be focused mostly towards Zombie, but if others have experience please chime in.  I got my Avon tires yesterday and got them mounted up.  My question is, I would really like to be able to re-attach the rear inner fender because it helps keep dirt from kicking up on my air filter.  The 130/70-12 tire fits with minimal clearance on the CVT side front. When I try and put the fender back in it binds between the engine air shroud and the tire.  There is also a bolt that holds the left half of the air shroud on right, but it actually seems to be rubbing on the right side shroud just where the halves meet.  I'm curious what the simplest place to remove some material is?  Should I grind on the air shroud, or the fender?  I'm also concerned that if I remove the piece of the air shroud that it will then bind on the bold.  Just looking for some ideas.  Thanks!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Fitting rear inner fender with 130 rear tire
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 01:18:31 AM »
Hey Shaka, What up Bro? I wouldnt cut the shroud because it works so well. I removed the inner fender about 2 years ago so I have easy access to the spark plug. It has never created a problem with dirt, or water. I also noticed my shroud was slightly deformed and not sitting right. I used a Heat gun to soften a circle around the deformed part, and pushed it back in place with a pot holder. I think it will wok for you as well. If you really want to keep the fender the idea may help you there as well. Have you ridden with the new tires yet? They are my favorite mod to date. I love the way this thing rides now. I hope you got the bolt on valve stems! I use them because of the extra pressure in the Avons. They look pretty cool also.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 04:56:48 AM »
That makes sense now!  I thought you were still running with the inner fender, and I was like, "How the Heck did he do that?"  I agree with you on cutting the shroud, but the part that needs to be removed is just a tap on the overlap between the two halves.  I wouldn't have to cut a hole in the functional part. 

The problem is the clearance is only about 2-3mm between the tire and this tab on the shroud.  Not even the thickness of the fender itself!  Heating it up and changing the shape isn't going to help there.  I may end up cutting the front part of the fender off so that it doesn't wrap all the way to the front of the tire.  My concern with that is finding a way to mount it so it doesn't rattle around.  The fender fit pretty tight up to the back of the cooling shroud before.  This acted as a stabilization point, as there are only two single bolts on either side that actually mount it. 

For now I'm just going to run without and see how the dirt collection on my air filter works out.  I don't think it will be as big of as issue as before when I first installed the filter.  I have since changed the intake manifold and made the longer filter tube.  Now the filter sits on the outside of the rear shock.  It should be better placed now to avoid the constant stream of sand being flung at it.  Gotta remember I'm at the beach!

As for the tires, I love them!  I only got a chance to ride them about 10 miles today, but man, what an improvement!  They seem to be extremely supple and responsive!  They also have a great profile and "fall" nicely into the curves!  I didn't get the bolt on valves.  I seem to recall they were a bit pricey when I ordered the tires.  I figure if the valves I have give me problems, I'll deal with it then.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 07:32:10 AM »
I think you have the same snorkle set up I used, and it is way out of the way for tire debris. you may be able to use POP rivets to retain the fender if needed... Every day I am leaning a little harder into my favorite corners to see how far I can get into them. Trouble is 1 of them is the Main cross road in town, right in front of the Police station. It's just irresistible though. Brand new asphalt, grippy tires, and such a smooth sweep into the corner. It will sure make the local gossip mill if I run over a cop coming out of the front door. I wonder if they would let me post from the slammer?
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 11:28:16 PM »
Haha!  Good luck with that!  These tires are awesome!  I still haven't gotten many miles on them, but what an improvement!  There is a 15mph S-curve down the street I travel every day.  I haven't been able to hit it above 45mph, till now!  I'm pretty sure I can get it at full speed; came up on a car into the second bend on my way home this evening, so had to slow down.  I've got this one though! ;D

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 01:21:40 AM »
They really are good stuff! I was just looking at bar end mirrors on Ebay. I know Chinese crapola headquaters! $15.99 w/ free shipping. Gotta go for it.

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 02:56:01 AM »
Let me know how those bar end mirrors work out.  I need some mirrors for my Vento.  I was just going to get the same ones I have on my ZX which I really like.  They are this style:  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390094837542&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 03:41:02 AM »
I like those for the Vento. Sort of Classic style. I can't see past my shoulders or elbows with the three I have tried so I figured the bar ends would work. Pretty cool looking too. OOOOHHHH YYYEEEAAAHHHHH!   BBBAAADDDD AAASSSS#### Scooter. Watch out world!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 02:46:23 PM »
Haha!  Good luck with that!  These tires are awesome!  I still haven't gotten many miles on them, but what an improvement!  There is a 15mph S-curve down the street I travel every day.  I haven't been able to hit it above 45mph, till now!  I'm pretty sure I can get it at full speed; came up on a car into the second bend on my way home this evening, so had to slow down.  I've got this one though! ;D

..i'm awaiting my Avon rear tire...then I'll have Viper Strykes on both front and rear....can't wait!!!!!!
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 01:09:11 AM »
Yeah Yeah Yeah     Who Cares...  Just messin w/ you Bro! Did you stay w/ the stock size or 1 step up? I forgot to mention to shaka, The kick stand will be leaning a little further over cause of the taller tire.OOOPPPSSA! Turning is quicker also because of the increased attack angle.OOOPPPSSA! Sure you found this out though...Good stuff guys!

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 09:40:50 PM »
I did go up one size front and rear.  Just got back from vacation so still haven't really ridden more than about 10 miles.  The only problem I really ran into besides fitting the rear inner fender, is the rear wheel doesn't come off the ground anymore while on the center stand!  I don't have a front fender so I had no problems there.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 09:49:34 PM »
I threw my center stand away a long time ago. It' most likely still w/ my rear liner!

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 09:59:08 PM »
I threw my center stand away a long time ago. It' most likely still w/ my rear liner!
Haha!  I use my center for warming up the scoot in the morning though, and also tuning!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 10:00:39 PM »
I have an old steel milk crate for that.

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 10:57:58 PM »
I have an old steel milk crate for that.
That's not nearly as convenient!  For now I just left a 1 X 6 where I park it to flip the stand down onto too.  I may end up either taking it off, or figuring out welding some spacers to the bottom of the feet to give it more height.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()