Author Topic: winter heated glove choice - update  (Read 789 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
winter heated glove choice - update
« on: September 30, 2020, 07:00:07 PM »
Nothing stops me quicker in the winter than cold hands....and I'm not smart enough, or too stubborn, to ride behind a screen.

Winter riding since 2013 with a brand of heated glove liners, now defunct, so today decided on a pair of 7V actual leather gloves - by Highway 21. My local mega-brand dealer has a pretty limited selection....and even fewer in my size, and they get a little testy about returns if they order me a size that doesn't fit correctly......so it's Revzilla again. Never a problem with free returns with those folks.

I'm kind of a stickler about keeping leather on my hands for every ride, regardless of the temperature.
Seems like a lot of glove - but maybe can pass it down to my daughter if she goes HD later - when I go to make my apologies to St Peter.
Will give a review after I give them a try on a 25? sunrise ride.

Stig

« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 01:14:47 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: winter heated glove choice
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 07:06:43 PM »
Be about £140 to get those shipped to the UK
[emoji853]
Be interesting to read your review in due course Stig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Lord Faversham

• Upper Class Twit of the Year
  • Farkhem Hall, Tittering, Middle England
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 12:26:51 AM »
Heated gloves for preference over heated grips Tom?

Regards

Faversham

Farkhem Hall, Tittering, Middle England.

Current Wheels:
Kymco Xciting 500i
Honda CX500
Yamaha R125
Previous:
BMW RT1100
Honda RD03 Africa Twin 750
Kawasaki GPZ500s
Derbi Terra Adventure 125
Countless Lambrettas

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 02:50:08 AM »
I looked up Bikemaster heated grips they had very good reviews but did not say how much power they consumed. 5 heat levels and led that flashes for low voltage.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 03:31:28 AM »
I have both heated grips, and heated gloves, I like the grips, cause they are always on the bike, useful for those unexpected nippy late nights/early mornings, or for a cold rain, for the coldest weather though, I find grips insufficient,  gloves work better, and in extreme cold, I've had em both on, I have gerbings gloves, and kimpex grip heaters
RandyO
IBA#9560

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
winter heated glove choice
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 07:41:42 AM »
Heated gloves for preference over heated grips Tom?

Yep, seems that way. He’s also mentioned before on here that he’s on & off the scoot that often that he can’t be arsed with the faff of plugging & unplugging wires, hence the battery-powered solution.

Could be tempted myself...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 08:47:39 AM »
Yep, seems that way. He’s also mentioned before on here that he’s on & off the scoot that often that he can’t be arsed with the faff of plugging & unplugging wires, hence the battery-powered solution.

Could be tempted myself...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I don't ride in the cold that much but I'm curious about the current draw of heated hand grips. My BMW has them and the battery is similar in size with the Kymco.  After reading about the bike master heated grips I might try a pair on a scooter since my faring doesn't protect my hands from the wind.  This time of year the temperature is in the 60's F so a little cool for a multiple  hour ride.

I would also be curious if the scooters charging capacity was upgraded for FI motors and electronics?  I guess I could put a digital volt meter on the bike to monitor charging voltage to make sure it wasn't depleting the battery while riding. 

Switching to a LED headlight would free up some power as well since they draw considerably less current.  I could hardly beleive how much heat radiated from my headlight when on.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 08:51:05 AM by Kansas kymco »
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2020, 11:39:42 AM »
Message from Revzilla...gloves here tomorrow!
Quick service 😊
Good thing as my one glove liner was blipping off and on during my ride here this morning! Little wires on these things.....
Of course, if I'd stop taking them off for roadside pix😊 my hands might stay warmer.
Stig
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 11:45:54 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2020, 02:22:24 PM »
I have ones similar to these..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RST-1648-Heated-Glove-Battery/dp/B01FSHI8X0

In fact I posted a picture on here a couple of years ago when I got them

https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=25477.msg181712#msg181712

Although the bike is off the road at the moment, I still plan using them in the wintertime.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: winter heated glove choice - update
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2020, 01:29:09 PM »
Gloves arrived a day early ...less than 36hrs after I ordered them!
I like them - a little tight - but all leather so will break in as usual with leather.

This morning they are on their way back to Revzilla because there were no batteries in the sealed bag covering the gloves!
RevZ asked for photos - which I sent - and sent me a free return postage label - because they want them back, rather than just sending 2 batteries to me.
After they 'inspect' them - they'll send another pair ....after assuring me that a person will look in the bag to see if batteries are in there!

and so it goes here in smalltown America......first the aliens, then POTUS & FLOTUS get 19,  now the batteries.

Yeah, I looked!!

Stig

« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 01:31:39 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2020, 11:45:03 AM »
I learned my lesson with electric heated stuff--winter trip to Mexico about 10 years ago----heated jacket liner failed---I almost froze to death, near Monterey, forcing me into $150 motel. I prefer feather jacket liner, overmitts with warm liners, boots that keep feet warm and dry----think falling off laying in cold ditch......I know many here do not do much serious winter riding, but?

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2020, 05:10:50 PM »
I learned my lesson with electric heated stuff--winter trip to Mexico about 10 years ago----heated jacket liner failed---I almost froze to death, near Monterey, forcing me into $150 motel. I prefer feather jacket liner, overmitts with warm liners, boots that keep feet warm and dry----think falling off laying in cold ditch......I know many here do not do much serious winter riding, but?

I think I'm going to look at Klim gear,  I haven't had my electric gear fail, but I have had my power source fail. For close to home rides, I'll still use my electric gear, but longer distance rides, I will play Michelin man.   I've ridden as cold as -25°f,  at speed, wind chill is -90°f,  I wrap duct tape at all my potential leaks, a pinhole feels like a needle poking you.

I have a bucket list ride of riding to Deadhorse, Alaska in Jaunary/Febuary time frame
RandyO
IBA#9560

OldCoot

• View Profile
    • Steve Wike
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2020, 08:05:29 PM »
Message from Revzilla...gloves here tomorrow!
Quick service 😊
Good thing as my one glove liner was blipping off and on during my ride here this morning! Little wires on these things.....
Of course, if I'd stop taking them off for roadside pix😊 my hands might stay warmer.
Stig

Yeah, but then the rest of us would miss out. Keep wearing out your gloves, please.
OldCoot, aka Brick Head
Greer, SC

OldCoot

• View Profile
    • Steve Wike
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2020, 08:13:19 PM »
I think I'm going to look at Klim gear,  I haven't had my electric gear fail, but I have had my power source fail. For close to home rides, I'll still use my electric gear, but longer distance rides, I will play Michelin man.   I've ridden as cold as -25°f,  at speed, wind chill is -90°f,  I wrap duct tape at all my potential leaks, a pinhole feels like a needle poking you.

I have a bucket list ride of riding to Deadhorse, Alaska in Jaunary/Febuary time frame

Are you kidding? What will you be riding on such an adventure? ... is there actually a bike that will make it in that kind of weather?

OldCoot, aka Brick Head
Greer, SC

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2020, 05:42:55 PM »
Are you kidding? What will you be riding on such an adventure? ... is there actually a bike that will make it in that kind of weather?

my Suzuki V-strom, I'm slowly prepping it, I will be outfitted with auxiliary charging, between the stock 35 amps, my aux alternator puts out 75 amps, I will be able to jump start myself, my aux battery has 850cca, I will be running darkside for the trip, a studded Nokian Hakkapellitta,  I won't have been the first person to make this trip
RandyO
IBA#9560

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()