Author Topic: GV on the Interstate...  (Read 7238 times)

michiman

• View Profile
GV on the Interstate...
« on: April 20, 2008, 10:45:53 PM »
Well, I used to Ride a 250cc cruiser on the Interstate.  What are your thoughts of the GV and Interstate travel?

tony_dt

• View Profile
Re: GV on the Interstate...
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 09:33:38 PM »
How many miles do you plan to travel per ride? Are you using for communting or touring?

michiman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 11:44:38 PM »
Cummuter...  About 15 miles each way...

tony_dt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 01:31:40 AM »
I think that you will get lots of differing opinions. The bike will do it but keep in mind that your accellation from 60-80 MPH is not going to be near what a larger bike can produce.  You have to be a defensive driver and keep an eye on traffic. You may also get blown around a bit. As far as the scoot holding up to a 15 mile haul each day no problem. You might also investigate other routes to work. Maybe a little longer but perhaps a more enjoyable ride.

OldGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 12:59:19 PM »
I'm afraid I can't agree with tony_dt. :'(

While I have no right to respond to this question since I don't own one yet, when you consider the fact that KYMCO advertises the Grand Vista as, "KYMCO's grand vision of how well appointed a touring scooter should be." I would certainly hope that it would be interstate capable since that is implied in the name, Touring Scooter. That's one of the things that I'm buying it for.

Tony_dt's comment, "acceleration from 60-80 MPH is not going to be near what a larger bike can produce." doesn't make a lot of sense to me either since most interstate travel is at a steady speed, mile after boring mile. How long do you think it takes a semi-truck to get from 60-80 (or for that matter from 0-60)? I don't like interstate travel. I prefer roads that follow the land, not cut through it. (OK, so I plagiarized that from the movie, "Cars". That doesn't make it any less true. :-[)

As for, "You have to be a defensive driver and keep an eye on traffic." that's true no matter what you drive or ride never so much as when you're on two wheels. At least it's true if you intend to become an old scooterist.

Life is not a destination, it's a journey.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 03:30:14 PM by OldGuy »
OldGuy
Wanna be GrandVista rider

Inside every old person is a young person wondering,
"What the heck happened?"

michiman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 04:45:16 PM »
Actually it will all be during the slow down hours...  And I live close to where it is always backed up...  Really only a few miles each way will I everthink I will be at 65...  And as I stated I used to ride a Rebel on the freeway...  Maybe I just have nerves of steel...  I am buying the small bike so that I can commute and to teach my wife to ride...  She lives about a mile from work...  She will get her chances to ride...  Hopefully enough that she will want one of her own...  By that time maybe Kymco will have a larger touring scooter.  The Exciting is just more sporty than tourer.

I really liked the Reflex, just could not stand to put out that much cash on a discontinued ride, and the GV has some superior qualities.

So small bike will get tossed on the freeway...  Used to ride small bike in 80's... 

Thanks

tony_dt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 06:32:00 PM »
And there is the varying opinions  :D

I ride a 250 at least 3 days a week to work about 30 miles. Venox 250.  I also have access to a couple xciting 250. I drove an GV back in 2006 on I35.
I just wanted to be realistic with you.
While the semi's do not give me any trouble the 7.3 turbo-diesel trucks with guy/gal talking on the cellphone do give me some worry. I live it an open space so people tend to speed. I still ride. Just be careful. Easier said than done though.

I think that it also depends on what interestate and the distance. I drove in Nevada on a sportbike once and I felt slow going 80 on the interstate. People would get impatient following me and go around.

My commute is not too bad as the traffic does back up and slow down. Later in the afternoon when I work late it is much more dangerous.

If I was doing heavy duty interstate work I would go with the 500.  I understand that your wife may inherit the bike though so I think that's a good choice for her.

Again as far as the scooter holding up, it should do just fine.

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 12:48:59 AM »
If I was doing heavy duty interstate work I would go with the 500.  I understand that your wife may inherit the bike though so I think that's a good choice for her.

Dang...!  Was that intended as cold as it sounded?

michiman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 10:27:08 PM »
Sounds quite chilly to me...

tony_dt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 01:30:19 AM »
Sorry, that wasn't my intent. I thought your plan might be to pass the bike on to your wife and I think that it would be a better bike for her than say an Xciting. Sorry for the input.

michiman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 01:44:02 PM »
 ;D  Not a problem...  Actually I was just fueling the fire...  I take all responses into consideration...  Thanks for the input, if I did not want your input I would not have asked on an open forum...  Everyones opinion matters..

OldGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 02:28:38 PM »
;D  Not a problem...  Actually I was just fueling the fire...  I take all responses into consideration...  Thanks for the input, if I did not want your input I would not have asked on an open forum...  Everyones opinion matters..
My compliments. A most enlightened attitude. So many times on forums such as this people ask questions that they really don't want answers to. They're just seeking vindication for their ideas. :)
OldGuy
Wanna be GrandVista rider

Inside every old person is a young person wondering,
"What the heck happened?"

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 04:31:27 PM »
man.  This forum will do awsome with guys like you around!  In most forums this three would have gone south fast!  :)

michiman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2008, 10:22:39 PM »
It all goes back to sticks and stones... ;D  But, really involves my thought processes...

David

• Kymco since 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 07:13:05 AM »
I use my GV on the interstate where the speed limit is 55 mph.  However 65 is quite easy and stable.  I behave myself, do the speed limit, and do keep the proper spacing.  I never had a bit of trouble.  It does well in wind and in trucks passing. 
2020 X-Town 300i Owner

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()