Author Topic: Redlining too soon?  (Read 6987 times)

Forbes1964

• View Profile
Redlining too soon?
« on: January 17, 2016, 08:18:29 AM »
I just purchased a 2009 Xciting with approximately 5300 miles on it. I've noticed that at 7500rpm (redline) my gps indicated speed on flat ground no wind is 62mph. Also, my top flat out is about 72mph  at around 8500rpm which is well above redline. Based on what others are saying, I was expecting somewhat higher. Acceleration is strong. My weight is 175 lbs. I was expecting to be able to cruise at 65mph at slightly BELOW redline. Am I being unrealistic? Or is there something wrong? I don't really know the history of this cycle prior to my purchasing it. Is there some maintenance needed that will bring my RPM below redline at 65mph?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

kymjongilco

• View Profile
Re: Redlining too soon?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 05:33:48 PM »
Hi , Mine also started doing this last year , greatly improving pull-away but top speed dropped and so did the fuel consumption, Turned out to be quite simple just the roller weights worn out, mine started getting bad at around 12,000 miles but maybe yours had been used in the city more, On advice i bought a set of Dr pulley rollers 23x18  15G , these are great and the bike STILL had fast pull-away i never go much over 70 mph but the revs came down at that speed.
Here is the link to the ones i bought , they arrived in 8 days.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DR-PULLEY-ROLLERS-23x18-for-KYMCO-Bet-Win-euro-2-Dink-People-Xciting-250-15G-/181621483309?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 09:23:21 PM »
Thank you sir. Your information most appreciated .

2009 Xciting 250

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 07:40:47 AM »
It could also be the belt width, if that is below min spec, then it cannot reach top speed.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 with Tapatalk

2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

kymjongilco

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 03:11:28 PM »
AH yes, I did change my belt at the same time, it didn't look worn but when i checked with a vernier against the new one it had narrowed a small amount, i guess this could have effected the top speed and made the rpms higher all round, but the Dr Pulley rollers kept the improved acceleration even with the new belt, the original rollers were clearly worn, The belt was around 55 usd+ shipping from Racing Planet , here is the link
http://www.racing-planet.co.uk/drive-bando-kymco-people-xciting-250cc-p-164851-1.html?backcPathco=3&cPath=2_2420#.Vp0AJSp94dU

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 06:13:22 PM »
I have to take it back later this week for them to fix the speedometer ( that's why I was using the GPS to monitor speed.). They promised to take care of that at the time of purchase. I'll see if I can get them to install new rollers and check the belt at that time. If not, I'll look into the dr. Pulley rollers and replace the belt myself since I don't know it's age. Whenever it's done, I'll get back with you all.
2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 02:37:55 PM »
I took it back to the place where I purchased it yesterday for them to check it. They checked the belt. And it was within specs. They stated that some of the rollers showed some signs of flattening but not that bad. But they replaced the rollers anyway since they already had it apart. It didn't change anything. Their head mechanic was not in. So they want me to bring it back when he is there.

2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 02:47:29 PM »
It pulls strongly even past redline. I let it go into dangerous territory until the rev limiter kicked in at 9000+ rpm . Again, my maximum GPS speed was 73 mph. At 7500 redline, I'm still only doing 62-63 mph. This was flat ground, no headwinds, and I weigh 170 lbs. ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS? I may install the dr. Pulley sliders later. But I believe it should run at least 70 before redline even factory equipped. Everything I've read says that this scooter is capable of approximately 80mph top speed for short distance. And should run 70 comfortably all day.

2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
Redlining too soon?
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 02:48:18 PM »
It could also be the belt width, if that is below min spec, then it cannot reach top speed.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 with Tapatalk

They said that the belt was within spec. I guess I'll just take it back when their head mechanic can look at it. Hopefully he'll find something.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 02:49:53 PM by Forbes1964 »
2009 Xciting 250

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 10:22:20 PM »
to see what your tranny is doing, take the cover off of the tranny, so you can see the belt and pulley,  put the scoot on center stand, on solid ground ( cement )  and level,    start the motor and rev it up to 7 or 8,000 RPM, look at the belt and it should be at the top of the front drive pulley,  if not your belt could be to narrow for the pulley,   I had to shave 1mm. off of the pulley faces each side because the belts I got where not the right width,

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 04:46:53 AM »
Thanks de dee. I'll definitely do that if the mechanic can't find anything wrong.

2009 Xciting 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 12:40:57 PM »
You want to cruise at 70 on a 250 scooter?
?
Think you need a bigger bike.....for safety and to spare your wallet.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 04:09:05 PM »
I agree with Stig!!!  Just ride the scooter and enjoy it! IMHO it is a waste of good hard earned money to make a scooter perform better than it was designed to. The better option is to take that money you would have used on unecessary upgrades and repairs and put it towards that faster scooter in the future. Meanwhile enjoy riding the well built machine that you have. I have learned this the hard way!
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 05:59:49 PM »

I agree with Stig!!!  Just ride the scooter and enjoy it! IMHO it is a waste of good hard earned money to make a scooter perform better than it was designed to. The better option is to take that money you would have used on unecessary upgrades and repairs and put it towards that faster scooter in the future. Meanwhile enjoy riding the well built machine that you have. I have learned this the hard way!

If that is what it's designed to do, I'll be content with it. Between 60-65 is fine . That's what I was told that it could run for EXTENDED periods of time. Just didn't realize that it would be at redline.

Is it safe to run it at or very near redline (approx 62 mph) for extended periods of time? If not, what is the maximum RPM you all would recommend for extended cruising?

I'm an auto mechanic, and I'm used to an engine cruising well below redline with near redline being reserved for short maximum acceleration spurts. Also used to an engine running out of steam above redline. This thing will pull STRONGLY into the red zone.

Forgive my ignorance, this is my first two wheeled ANYTHING. Lol.
Thanks in advance for your response and advice.

2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 06:08:26 PM »
Curious: What speeds do you all usually ride? Again, trying to get a feel for what's reasonable and safe.

2009 Xciting 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()