Author Topic: New variator, contra spring, and fly springs installed  (Read 15915 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: New variator, contra spring, and fly springs installed
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2012, 03:34:25 PM »
Get a drill ready... When you install the pipe I find it best to mount the engine side with no gasket to see where the bracket falls. DO NOT try to move the pipe into place. Drill or make brackets. ANY torque from mounting WILL crack the pipe in the future. Can't wait to see how they run for you guys.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wassonii

• Death needs Time for what it kills to grow in -wsb
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2012, 08:20:44 PM »
Words of advice definitely appreciated and will be acted upon! I don't anticipate the bolting up to be different from the Super 8 and Agility 2t, but will def make 100% certain of attachment either directly or through modified means before making the full commitment.
psuffix - I had finally had enough of the weakest link in my chain (which will soon be the carb) and started looking aroung and reading more closely posts here and on other forums, paying particular attention to the timeframe in which positives and negatives of each was put forward. Finally with enough scratch coming due, I started seriously looking at prices and shipping times (and availability) and found speed addict. Truth be told, I found them on Amazon, on which it was stated that they had one in stock. I got a call later on Friday to let me know that the pipe would be about a week and a half away from hitting their warehouse stateside and then an additional 3 days for shipping, with the option of cancelling my order with that info. Hell, I would have had to pay through the nose from most places and wait that long anyway for overseas sellers, so I went ahead and committed. We do indeed have some work ahead of us:)
The Scooter Shop out in Orange, CA has a similar price (and free shipping with orders over 50$), but the last time I ordered something from them that was in stock, they had it drop-shipped from SPI as it wasn't really in stock.
At any rate, speedaddict has warehouses in Indiana and CA, so come hell or high water, our sibling pipes are on the way.
sans scooter, rien

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2012, 07:16:23 PM »
I bit the bullet and reopened the carb. That is the maintenance I dread the most. Not becuase I fear it, but after the work I feel stupid kicking it for a minute or so until the bowl fills up and the engine fires.
At any rate, the float was below parallel. Not crazy low, but not where it should have been. Like a millimeter or two off, but enough for some bogging. I went ahead and put the 85 jet in. When I initially installed the Silent Sport, Steve at Moped Hospital and the fellow from the Scooter Shop in Orange, CA said I wouldn't need to upjet, but I was afeared. 88 (at least in this heat and humidity) has been a skoche too high. The acceleration was hitting a boggy feeling if I went to 3/4-full throttle too quickly. 85 is safely below it (though I would return to 88 in the cold weeks, just to be safe). Hell, I was getting a bog at takeoff, so I knew at least something was amiss.
Funnily enough, I get real rpms from the 1500 spring now. I just thought I felt a difference before.
I have a fairly fresh plug in (though not fresh enough for a proper chop), but will order an extra (as I am ordering a handful for the new pipe) to do a chop this weekend. I am fairly confident I will find a nice brown ring when I do.
Oh, and I am finally going to make the switch to synthetic. I know you dig the Spectro, Z, but I am going to stay in the family and switch to Bel Ray Si7 as I can just add it to the tank when it gets low (but not empty:)) and keep using it. This piston set is well broken in. It is time.
sans scooter, rien

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2012, 04:04:56 AM »
 It is time.

My favorite three word combo! What is the total difference to date? Top mph?
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2012, 03:28:48 PM »
Well, I, as always, learn something new every day...
Where I had the float was on the lean side, about the same as when I knocked it before. Ran fine yesterday (not the best it has ever, but running, I thought, well.)
This morning I swapped out the Gates belt back to a Kymco. The Gates belt is actually a little longer than the Kymco (about 1-2mm), dead on 17mm (I didn't measure it new, but I seriously doubt it was ever a true 18mm) wide, but never allows for over 40mph.
Anyway, I started out fine this morning, but a few miles in, the bwaap of lean reared its' ugly head and nothing but sputtering above idle. I walked/idled it home (about 4-5 miles) and before pulling the carb, looked at the online manuals to which I have access. I know the Like 50/125 manual refers to the 50 as a 2 stroke, but I really believe that the carb info in it is for the 4 stroke 50, particularly after comparing the carb info in the People 50 2t manual. I went with the float level given for the People and so far, so good. It is lower than I had it yesterday, but not as low as it was coming into yesterday. Too, I switched back to the 88 jet, just for good measure (and not wanting a meltdown, that is best for now).
The outlet on the carb that meets the mani is 16mm i.d., which leads me to believe that it is actually closer to a 14mm venturi. I haven't measured the venturi, but given how carbs are, I wouldn't be surprised. Anyway, I'm about to do some test running.
Live and learn (but stay away from the lean!)
sans scooter, rien

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2012, 04:06:46 PM »
You've taken off like a downhill snowball Bro! It's great finally getting a handle on these things.

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2012, 04:14:10 PM »
Livin and learnin and not pushing when it pushes back.
sans scooter, rien

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2012, 04:19:06 PM »
Never a set of true'r words. It is knowing when to step off that saves these engines. They don't take kindly to a steady beating.

Psuffix

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »
Have they sent you your exhaust yes wass? If you haven't heard about it yet I'd recommend you give them a call. They posted my order as "completed" without actually sending one, I'd make sure they haven't messed up and done the same thing to you if they haven't sent you a tracking number yet.

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2012, 07:52:48 PM »
Funny you should mention that. Yesterday I missed a package via FedEx. Thinking it was my overdue Racing Planet order, I was prepared to write Sammy and ask if I had been moved from USPS to FedEx without notification. When I checked the tracking number on the door ticket, though, the package was a 9 pound weight sent from Indianapolis (site of speedaddict's second warehouse), but no info on sender. I had not been sent a tracking number nor info that their shipment had arrived from Italy (though I had been corresponding with them in the interim. I had ordered mine via Amazon and had the transaction initially posted as pending to my bank account, but the monies have yet to be removed from the account). I wait to see if, in fact, the ZX is about to be delivered. I didn't want to jinx it, so hadn't posted anything about this anomaly yet. I'll post when the package is delivered, whether or not it is the exhaust, though I can't think of anything else it could be from Indy.
sans scooter, rien

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2012, 10:00:33 PM »
It is, indeed, the ZXR. FYI it does not come with clutch springs. It is sent with a set of 5.7g weights (not yet verified with scales). It is NOT sent with an exhaust gasket.
Time to get to work.
I have dug out the wife's dremel and attachments to remove the restrictor cone and smooth out the weld spot. I can't attach the darned thing until I get some jets and plugs, but it's all good. Patience, grasshopper...
I am unsure if I need to go up on the pilot jet. My contemplation is to remove the airbox snorkel, up the pj to 38, shim the needle, and start high with the mj, but that is just contemplation for now.
First things first. Remove restriction, degrease the metal, and get this beast VHT coated.
sans scooter, rien

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2012, 10:29:09 PM »
Due to monetary restrictions, I may wait to try out the snorkel removal.
I know I am going to need plugs, jets, stiffer clutch springs, and exhaust gasketry (I prefer to have a ring and gasket) as it stands.
I may try out the larger pj for sh**s and giggles.
sans scooter, rien

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2012, 03:09:29 AM »
Ahhhh The joy of waiting. Starring Bob Ross

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2012, 10:19:53 AM »
Happy Little Clouds (and Trees).
sans scooter, rien

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2012, 12:17:36 AM »
You, sir, are a scooter guru officiale!
The pipe doesn't "exactly" fit as shipped (but you knew it wouldn't :) The tube in which the bolt for the engine case underneath the fan is just a few mm forward from where the threaded hole is located in the case. Fortunately, I have access to a fairly well-stocked scene shop and went to get a drill and bit. I ended up using the longest spacer from my Silent Sport and both bolts from the Tecnigas to attach the pipe, but holy crap I can't believe I waited this long!
Tweaking as able around work and pregnant Mama, so no update yet, but it is on, no leaks, and the coating cured.
Thank you for some sage advice!
sans scooter, rien

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()