Author Topic: DIY spark plug change LIKE 200i  (Read 9434 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
DIY spark plug change LIKE 200i
« on: June 02, 2013, 12:40:18 AM »
Replaced the spark plug on my Like 200i today. And took some photos.

OK, then I put the original plug back in....the iridium plug increased my idle (smoothed it ,too) which was not an issue, but the increased idle also reduced my engine braking when throttle was rolled completely off, as approaching a stop Yep, plug worked great - nice smooth idle, good at speed, etc. - but did not want to deal with the slightly increased engine speed when I'm trying to roll to a stop. Had to use more braking due to loss of that engine braking. Put the stock NGK plug back in this evening and got my old scooter back!
See photo of my finger in the spark plug hole.

Remove seat / seat pan (4 hex screws, 2 phillips screws)
Remove battery cover (3 phillips screws)
Cover battery with a rag - or disconnect neg then pos leads & cover posts with a rag
Remove center/front plastic panel (2 phillips screws)
Find plug wire and black rubber spark plug cap located on 'passenger side' of engine, in black plastic engine covering (shroud)
Pull spark plug wire/cap off of spark plug
Use 5/8 spark plug socket and extension and unscrew old plug ( a purpose-made spark plug socket has a rubber collar in it to hold onto the spark plug, you do not want the plug to fall inside the engine cooling shroud)
Clean plug wire cap, generally wipe things down under there
Insert new plug in socket, HAND thread and HAND tighten (FINGERS only)(....do not use a wrench to do this!!) the new plug in place (careful, do not cross thread plug into cylinder- take your time
Tighten 1/2 turn with rachet & socket (see instructions on new spark plug box for exactly how much for the final tighten with wrench)
Press on spark plug cap - listening for clicks to let you know it has made a good (electrical) connection - firmly seat edges of plug cap for tight air seal (keeps engine cooler)
Replace plastic center panel
Replace battery cover
Replace seat and seat pan-- (get all fasteners started into holes - then begin to tighten each - do not over-tighten - the seat is not going anywhere with you sitting on it)

The verdict is out on replacing our stock NGK plugs with NGK iridium spark plugs.
The stock spark plug for the LIKE 200i is : NGK  CR7HSA
Several good sources list the proper Iridium plug for the LIKE 200i as : NGK CR7HIX
I installed the iridium plug today.

PS: While you've got those panels off, why not take a 1/2 hour and adjust your valves?!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 01:35:23 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: DIY spark plug change LIKE 200i
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 12:42:02 AM »
more pictures of the plug change
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 12:43:06 AM »
Last picture of the NGK Iridium spark plug install.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

tclhb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 06:22:48 AM »
Thank for the write up Stig! Post back what you think of the performance difference.
Tom. Huntington Beach, California

exhalent99

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 11:44:36 AM »
Very well done, thanks!

I'm also curious about the performance changes.
I Like you.  Do you Like me?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 04:23:03 PM »
Thank for the write up Stig! Post back what you think of the performance difference.

STIG WRITES:Yesterday  I also changed the gear oil and engine oil, cleaned the screen, reset air in tires, etc. but still using the same BP gas.
First start very early this morning after the plug change - idle is smoother, steadier.
Then rode for 2 1/2 hours (speeds ranged 10mph  > 40mph. Still doing break-in at 650 miles on odometer. Up several steep hills, etc. No WOT)

PERFORMANCE FINDING: The roll-off idle (shutting throttle while approaching a stop) has increased slightly. i.e. : after throttle shut scoot seems to take 15-20 more feet to come to idle = more braking needed.
If this is noted again on my next ride, I will likely remove seat and lower idle.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 07:52:34 AM »
I'm not trying to start an argument... just my two cents....

The stock plug has a heat range of 7.... CR7HIX (Iridium) has the same heat range as the stock... The fact is that since Iridium runs hotter than copper... I would use a colder plug instead with a heat range of, say, 8... a colder plug... this way, the heat transfer function of your Iridium would be similar to your copper... I would use NGK CR8HIX...

However, I you're not the WOT type of guy going 20-30 mph average... the CR7HIX would be ok...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 08:56:50 AM by Vivo »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()