Author Topic: 2 openings for the CVT/belt dust to clear itself?  (Read 2501 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
2 openings for the CVT/belt dust to clear itself?
« on: May 12, 2013, 10:27:37 PM »
Hello, doing the oils & screen again this afternoon, and noticed 2 openings in the belt cover. One on the under side and another at the rear--- wouldn't excess debris from the belt exit here pretty much on it's own, without having to remove the cover simply to clear this stuff?
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
Re: 2 openings for the CVT/belt dust to clear itself?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 03:20:44 AM »
    that would be venting to keep things cool,. it is a good idea. to check the belt and rollers ,,. or sliders once in a while,. 

exhalent99

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 11:11:39 AM »
See I was wondering this too.  When I picked it up from the dealer he told me to bring it in for service at 1000 kms. I mentioned the cvt belt dust and he shrugged it off saying these belts are some of the best in the business and not to worry about it.

I'll bring it to them for the 1000km service just for the valve clearance, they're super nice and will let me watch. I am tempted to not touch the belt cover just so he can be the first to see.

Edit; I did not see another opening at the rear of the belt cover, please take a pic of yours. I dont know if there are variations in the model year, mine's a 2013.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 01:29:11 PM by exhalent99 »
I Like you.  Do you Like me?

vespa50sp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 11:39:15 AM »
Hello, doing the oils & screen again this afternoon, and noticed 2 openings in the belt cover. One on the under side and another at the rear--- wouldn't excess debris from the belt exit here pretty much on it's own, without having to remove the cover simply to clear this stuff?
Our old snowmobile belts always ran out in the open

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 01:47:01 PM »
   on my 300i DT  I take off the outer cover,  then you can see there is a hole for intake over the variator,  on the side ,  and under there is a hole for the exhaust air,  the outer cover is tupper ware

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: 2 openings for the belt dust
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 09:22:11 PM »
I think these are the 2 openings on the underside of the belt chamber of my LX Like - black soot-like substance comes out of  each one on your finger.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

exhalent99

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 12:44:59 AM »
Wow, of the three times I was examining how to get the cover off, I never got my head low enough to see these.  So could we not just give a blast of air into one hole to clear the soot out the other?

I notice when I'm out for a while and eveything gets hot, I smell burning rubber, ever so faintly...it was much more noticeable on my very first ride. I had no concern as I figured it would be the belt shavings.

tclhb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 01:22:07 AM »
Thanks Stig for taking the time to get such good photos of this.
Tom. Huntington Beach, California

kriden

• 2012 Like 200i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 02:35:34 AM »
Great pics Stig.  Thx!

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 05:24:05 AM »
T he openings are just to cool things in there and not for belt dust to escape...

They designed the cvt without any self cleaning system in order to compel the owner to remove the cover... to make the owner see what he should clean inside there and to tempt if not again compel the owner to inspect the clutch, rollers, and all other stuff in there....

exhalent99

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 09:00:10 PM »
T he openings are just to cool things in there and not for belt dust to escape...

They designed the cvt without any self cleaning system in order to compel the owner to remove the cover... to make the owner see what he should clean inside there and to tempt if not again compel the owner to inspect the clutch, rollers, and all other stuff in there....

Ok so now I'm compelled...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 01:45:43 AM »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()