Author Topic: FIXED: Is your Kymco LIKE200i not starting !!  (Read 4714 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
FIXED: Is your Kymco LIKE200i not starting !!
« on: July 19, 2021, 01:38:31 PM »
We've seen this a couple of times with LIKE's which are several years old.
His LIKE200i was 7 years old when this happened.

Stig
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 12:23:12 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Crispy

• View Profile
Re: FIXED: Is your Kymco LIKE200i not starting !!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 05:34:47 PM »
2014 Like 200i w/ 1600 miles. Was thrilled to see this post! Started running rough for no apparent reason. Started thinking bad gas bec we had used some gas from a questionable source. I then put some Techron in and after a couple days, it died completely. I pulled the injector line and pumped out all the gas. Put in fresh and it would start but not run off idle. Pulled the injector and watched it spray. I had never done that before but thought it seemed pretty weak. Should that injector spray a nice strong atomized fan? Also, one other symptom was when running on the center stand at part throttle, it would backfire out the exhaust. Kind of a weezy pop. I always thought that was a lean condition. Going to check that in-tank line asap but not with the scoot for another week so trying to line up my options. Thinking the Techron finished off the bad fuel line… Thanks, C

Update- Fixed! My wife had a rotten fuel line! The one on the pump. In our case, it didn’t look too bad but when I squeezed it, fuel poured out all along its length. Had a piece of 5/16” fuel injection hose on the shelf and it fit perfectly. My only advice is don’t be afraid to cut it sufficiently short so it doesn’t stress the pump in the bracket. I took mine apart and cut it back twice 😌. Runs like a champ! Thanks so much for this post!

Update II- I’m back with the same problem. 2014 200i running rough and then died and wouldn’t start. Throwing a CLEP code 6. Decided to re-visit the in-tank fuel pump and line. I had replaced this line with something I had on hand. I was pretty sure it was fuel line that I used but here we are one year later. The line I installed had completely failed. It didn’t disintegrate in pieces but the outer layer swelled and split open. I need to make sure I’m using the proper line that can withstand that environment. It’s back running like a champ again.

Edit- I have gone down the rabbit hole of “submersible” fuel line. I just received 12” of 5/16” Dayco submersible fuel line from Summit Racing. I will be installing it tomorrow and I expect this problem to be behind me. Also, I suspect the original line in my tank was not the proper specification or maybe was poor quality. “Submersible” indicates that special material is used on the outside layer as well as the inside layer. Standard fuel line uses special materials only on the inside. That’s what I’ve learned in the last week after many parts shop visits and time on the internet. C.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 06:50:54 PM by Crispy »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 07:54:27 PM »
2014 Like 200i w/ 1600 miles. Was thrilled to see this post! Started running rough for no apparent reason. Started thinking bad gas bec we had used some gas from a questionable source. I then put some Techron in and after a couple days, it died completely. I pulled the injector line and pumped out all the gas. Put in fresh and it would start but not run off idle. Pulled the injector and watched it spray. I had never done that before but thought it seemed pretty weak. Should that injector spray a nice strong atomized fan? Also, one other symptom was when running on the center stand at part throttle, it would backfire out the exhaust. Kind of a weezy pop. I always thought that was a lean condition. Going to check that in-tank line asap but not with the scoot for another week so trying to line up my options. Thinking the Techron finished off the bad fuel line… Thanks, C
We also saw reports from LIKE200I owners of a "rotted" fuel line there in the tank. This clogged the injector to a degree as well.
These LIKE200I's were several years old, like yours.
Battery terminals and negative frame ground tight?...could cause popping if not solid contact. bouncing current.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2023, 07:35:12 AM »
We love positive feedback when a problem is solved, thanks Crispy! There’s another “kill” to stencil onto your Like fairing Stig.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()