Author Topic: Replacing EFI fuel pump in a Kymco LIKE200i  (Read 22329 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Replacing EFI fuel pump in a Kymco LIKE200i
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2022, 03:29:59 PM »
Exactly - basically what the internet was meant to be back in the days  :)

W e l l.....I'm going to go make a coffee!
Thanks for the feedback!

Kinda cool how many fuel pumps will work in our LIKE's.
Mine was for a Yamaha motorcycle. My scooter wasn't running right - figured I had nothing to lose since the dealer couldn't fix it X 3!

Yeah, good point.... hope I disconnected the battery years ago when I did the swap.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2022, 08:56:54 PM »

Apparently, letting them rot in today's fuel is not good for that rubber line in the tank.
When sorting out carb/fuel problems with old cars, the fuel-injection techs pointed out that ethanol is the real villain in most similar problems.  It's the reason you can't use mo-gas in airplanes, for example.  Most new fuel systems are engineered to resist ethanol rot, so it's possible that the older Kymcos may be using old-style neoprene lines and gaskets instead of the newer (ethanol-proof) Viton gaskets and O-rings (https://www.calpaclab.com/viton-chemical-compatibility-chart/)  FAA doesn't allow ethanol in av-gas, but it's not easy to get; if you've ever used  car gas with ethanol, it's too late.  You have to take it all apart and start again!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2022, 11:19:36 PM »
When sorting out carb/fuel problems with old cars, the fuel-injection techs pointed out that ethanol is the real villain in most similar problems.  It's the reason you can't use mo-gas in airplanes, for example.  Most new fuel systems are engineered to resist ethanol rot, so it's possible that the older Kymcos may be using old-style neoprene lines and gaskets instead of the newer (ethanol-proof) Viton gaskets and O-rings (https://www.calpaclab.com/viton-chemical-compatibility-chart/)  FAA doesn't allow ethanol in av-gas, but it's not easy to get; if you've ever used  car gas with ethanol, it's too late.  You have to take it all apart and start again!
Your opposition to EFI is well documented here JJJ - but most of us love it, and have had no issues with it or with ethanol laced fuel in our EFI vehicles.
We've another very veteran two wheel rider who has used the normal pump gas (w/ethanol) ,which we all have easy access to, in his EFI bikes and scooters for years with no problems.
The LIKE seemed to be fitted with a fuel line from a small batch sourced by the manufacture around the year 2012.
"Small batch"? - yes because the reported issues with this line have been very very few and seem limited to that era.
I see no reason to be concerned about ethanol fuel in any of our EFI vehicles.
My dealer certainly does not warn customers to go in search of ethanol free gas - they fill your first tank with SHELL regular down the block.
I'm no expert - but there are many vehicles in my area fitted with EFI and there are no ethanol free pumps in this town....thousands are not walking while their cars are lined up at repair shops, nor are cars and motorbikes lined up down at the marina.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2022, 05:07:53 AM »
Your opposition to EFI is well documented here JJJ - but most of us love [the Like 200]

Stig
I appreciate your lectures, Major, but I'm not simply being a clueless old goat.  We all recognize there's some kind of problem, and the users here are kind enough to share their knowledge and their attempts to solve problems.  I'm here sharing what I know and I bring good information.  You may not like my approach to avoiding problems, but my approach brings useful background information.  Buried deep in your stern lecture on my "attitude toward fuel-injection" was a useful bit of information:"The LIKE seemed to be fitted with a fuel line from a small batch sourced by the manufacture around the year 2012." Nobody here has been able to pin-point the actual problem, not even Kymco, but we're getting close. Nowhere was I complaining about fuel-injection, so it's a bit over the top to open with a stern talking-to about my attitude on the fuel-injected Like 200.  I have tried to sort out F/I problems on a Like 200, so I've actually laid hands on the actual parts causing this nasty problem, and I bring good background knowledge. I, like most users, appreciate the occasional glimpses of civility from the patron(s) of this board. You did get one thing right when you admitted "I'm no expert"!  It's your job to encourage the discussion.  Maybe post some photos of you riding to the coffee shop to get us feeling good about our Kymcos. Disparaging our attitude doesn't help one bit when trying to find an elusive target like this one. A good discussion thread makes it all worth while. 
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 05:23:19 AM by JJJoseph »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2022, 12:29:02 PM »
I appreciate your lectures, Major, but I'm not simply being a clueless old goat.  We all recognize there's some kind of problem, and the users here are kind enough to share their knowledge and their attempts to solve problems.  I'm here sharing what I know and I bring good information.  You may not like my approach to avoiding problems, but my approach brings useful background information.  Buried deep in your stern lecture on my "attitude toward fuel-injection" was a useful bit of information:"The LIKE seemed to be fitted with a fuel line from a small batch sourced by the manufacture around the year 2012." Nobody here has been able to pin-point the actual problem, not even Kymco, but we're getting close. Nowhere was I complaining about fuel-injection, so it's a bit over the top to open with a stern talking-to about my attitude on the fuel-injected Like 200.  I have tried to sort out F/I problems on a Like 200, so I've actually laid hands on the actual parts causing this nasty problem, and I bring good background knowledge. I, like most users, appreciate the occasional glimpses of civility from the patron(s) of this board. You did get one thing right when you admitted "I'm no expert"!  It's your job to encourage the discussion.  Maybe post some photos of you riding to the coffee shop to get us feeling good about our Kymcos. Disparaging our attitude doesn't help one bit when trying to find an elusive target like this one. A good discussion thread makes it all worth while.
jjj., at least we're encouraging discussion.  🙂
Which is better than.....nah, I'll let it go at that.
Have a good and safe new year on your scooter!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2023, 01:59:14 AM »
Have a good and safe new year on your scooter!
Stig
Thank you - you too!
JJ

kjems

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2023, 04:41:04 PM »
The O-rings are available from hydraulic parts service shops like Freudenberg Seals: http://or.ecatalog-na.fst.com/catalog/OR.htm?_ga=2.111495235.632739621.1568500950-1098743817.1568500950

Link is not working here. Anybody managed to get a working new O-ring for the like 200i fuel pump?

Jesper

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2023, 02:06:58 AM »
Link is not working here. Anybody managed to get a working new O-ring for the like 200i fuel pump?

Jesper
I see some large o-rings on ebay.
Need measurements from your original.
Leeson's not helpful?
Probably a HTF part these days.
Stih
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

kjems

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2023, 06:43:02 AM »
Need measurements from your original.
Leeson's not helpful?

Got it all fixed and it's running like a charm. But yesterday I smelled fuel on a ride and then saw the gasolin running down from under seat.

But will surely get the pump off again and do some messuerements. Would be nice if it's some kinda standard size avilible for another vehicle.

Good thing we're in winter (garage) time here in Denmark.

I'll be back 😉

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2023, 10:15:58 AM »
Got it all fixed and it's running like a charm. But yesterday I smelled fuel on a ride and then saw the gasolin running down from under seat.

But will surely get the pump off again and do some messuerements. Would be nice if it's some kinda standard size avilible for another vehicle.

Good thing we're in winter (garage) time here in Denmark.

I'll be back 😉
Did your O-ring get damaged during your work?
I think Kymco advises to replace the 0-ring with new after the work.....but they don't offer it as a separate part!!
Glad you're running good again 🙃
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

kjems

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2023, 10:35:00 AM »
Did your O-ring get damaged during your work?
I think Kymco advises to replace the 0-ring with new after the work.....but they don't offer it as a separate part!!
Glad you're running good again 🙃
Stig

I couldnt see any damage, so i´m also a little confused - did try to lupe it with silicone for brake cylinders, but no luck. But fuel is coming out from under the lid, when the scoot is started - so i cant figure out anything else to try than the o-ring.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2023, 02:21:51 PM »
I couldnt see any damage, so i´m also a little confused - did try to lupe it with silicone for brake cylinders, but no luck. But fuel is coming out from under the lid, when the scoot is started - so i cant figure out anything else to try than the o-ring.
You mean with engine running and scooter moving the lid is leaking?
But scooter has too be moving and sloshing fuel, yes?
If leaking with engine running and on center stand...then fuel pump is pressurizing the tank!?
You're certain fuel line junction atop the lid, is not the culprit? There was a recall on a leak there.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

kjems

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2023, 10:13:11 AM »
But scooter has too be moving and sloshing fuel, yes?
If leaking with engine running and on center stand...then fuel pump is pressurizing the tank!?

It does come out when the scoot is a standing still and engine running idle. And tank half full. So I also think is a pressure-thing.

Is there maybe a smart way to check or solve that?

I guess, if thats the case, the leak should stop if i release the fuel cap to let pressure out?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 11:34:56 AM by kjems »

kjems

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2023, 02:14:42 PM »
Okay, so got the seat off today and couldn't recreate the leaking with the scooter turned on in idle but not driving.

Tried to both cover the fuel cap and release it but could not notice any difference.

So I'm back to that the leak happened when riding full power with my son on the back, but not when idle.

Will try to locate from exactly from where it's leaking.

Jesper

kjems

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2023, 03:39:09 PM »
OK, did a little more testing. Still cant recreate the leak.

I tried to both blow air and suck air through the fuel cap - which is quite easely possible.

Also disconnected the vent hose from engine and tried to blow air and suck air through it. Also with a compressor
That was not possible - not shure if it should be.

So now I really need to find out for shure, where the leak is coming from. So I have placed dry Toiletpapir on the tank and will take a look next time I smell gasoline, and also note other things like how full is the tank. How warm. How long ride and so on.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 03:42:52 PM by kjems »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()