Author Topic: Replacing EFI fuel pump in a Kymco LIKE200i  (Read 22330 times)

whiskers626

• View Profile
Re: Replacing EFI fuel pump in a Kymco LIKE200i
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2020, 09:05:59 AM »
I have the exact same scooter as you and made the mistake of letting it sit for a year. Initially it fired right up and I took it for a short 3 mile test drive, at the last 1/4mile it almost didn't make it. The fuel pump was kicking on as it should and I pulled the line and flow looked good, I assumed there was some varnishing in the injector and replaced it  (fyi you can get them on ali express for less than $30) but after installing it the problem remained (would fire up but no power then would slowly deteriorate idle and die). I cut the supply hose to the injector and installed a pressure gauge (which is what I should have done to start with) and found that I only had about 22psi.  Searching for a new pump brought me to this thread (so thanks) I'm contacting the vendor to be sure the newer model will still work before ordering.
Here's the link to the injector if anyone needs it: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32880547383.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.52f44c4ddiKsJ6

Also a little more info, when I pulled the pump apart today, I think the entire problem was the poor quality rubber hose they used inside the tank, it was completely deteriorated and obviously leaking through the hose itself, had I caught that before I pulled it all apart I probably could have just put a new section of hose on it...but, the filter element was also deteriorating and falling apart so it probably ingested some of that too..

Same here pulled the pump and the little piece of hose was like Mush, also the filter element was braking apart, any ideas on the size of that little hose inside the tank?
Thanks

ron4mac

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2020, 03:06:12 PM »
I need a new fuel pump for my 2015 200i. I contacted an area dealer that has some Kymcos but the only thing they could offer is the entire assembly for $200. And, at this point, I'm questioning the reliability of the OEM pump, anyway. Does anyone have any information about which Quantum replacement would work out for me? Do you think the ones used above for a 2012 would still be just fine with a 2015?

Thanks much for the info in this thread and any help that you can provide.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2020, 04:50:43 PM »
Please, how did you figure out you needed a new pump? Just very curious here.
And yes, this  fuel pump will work with all 1st gen Like200i. ....these scoots have changed very little over 10 years.
The LIKE200i is a super scoot at a bargain price.
Apparently, letting them rot in today's fuel is not good for that rubber line in the tank. Never a problem with mine. ..but scoot has never sat idle.
. Drain the tank if parking for a year, or more.
Fuel line in the tank can be replaced for $2 if it's gone bad.
Major Tom
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 04:53:14 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ron4mac

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2020, 05:17:58 PM »
Please, how did you figure out you needed a new pump? Just very curious here.

It's at my seasonal home in FL and so goes long times without being run. I have always used ethanol-free. I have had problems getting it to start when putting it back in service. The battery is on a tender over the summer in the garage. Because I had read somewhere that, if the battery is marginal, it won't start, I've replaced the battery on two occasions. Still had problems but it eventually started. I had started forging an idea that the fuel pump could be acting up ... running okay once its a$$ was kicked.

Now it just won't start. If I blow hard into the gas tank, it starts for a second. When I turn on the key, I hear a quiet clicky/thunky sound but no whir. I'm a little short on tools here, but I'm fixing that and opening it up this weekend.

Could you please, with your expertise, point me at some specific products that I should consider?

Thanks for replying.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2020, 04:39:09 PM »
The LIKE200i is about as bullet proof a scooter a Kymco makes.
i think we had one fuel pump failure on a LIKE200i. Nothing wrong with the LIKE200i fuel pumps.

There have been two reported cases of a rotted fuel line attached to the pump, in the tank bottom. Both LIKE's sat unused.
What that does to the down-stream injector is unknown. There is no filter between the pump and the injector. The filter is on the pick-up end of the pump.

If you pull the fuel pump assembly and find a rotted line - you may be able to replace the line and get it going again....or it may have fouled the injector, too.

To check for a failed pump and/or the cut-off relay - you could use a simple multimeter and the specs and instructions from a www.cyclepedia.com service manual for the LIKE200i.

Blowing into the tank makes your scooter start for a moment? This seems to me to be a fuel delivery problem involving the pump, the line, or the injector.

Here's an as yet unsolved starting saga with a LIKE200i like yours.
Please have a look at :
https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=28547.0

Please let us know what you find - and feel free to ask any questions - I'm a big fan of this scooter and hate to see the rare one which has a problem!

Stig/Major Tom
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

ron4mac

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2020, 04:37:23 PM »
Well, I got the fuel pump out. It was more difficult than I had expected getting the whole assembly out. I had to use a pry bar. Will definitely use some silicone lube when putting it back together. Was surprised to find the slide on leads soldered to the pump. They weren't too well soldered and I was able to convince them off without desoldering. The strainer is quite rusty looking. I guess I should have been smart enough to maybe have had the tank full while it sits for 6 months at a time.

The folks at Quantum Fuel Systems asked for specs and pictures and will, hopefully, be recommending a replacement for me.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2020, 09:09:57 PM »
Well, I got the fuel pump out. It was more difficult than I had expected getting the whole assembly out. I had to use a pry bar. Will definitely use some silicone lube when putting it back together. Was surprised to find the slide on leads soldered to the pump. They weren't too well soldered and I was able to convince them off without desoldering. The strainer is quite rusty looking. I guess I should have been smart enough to maybe have had the tank full while it sits for 6 months at a time.

The folks at Quantum Fuel Systems asked for specs and pictures and will, hopefully, be recommending a replacement for me.
OK, good deal.
Yeah, I had to persuade the assembly out, too!
I just measured my pump and went winging for one the same size - found one for a Yamaha motorcycle. Sounded about right. And has worked great for 7 years. There was nothing the matter with my Kymco pump - but I wasn't much of a mechanic at the time to know that. It's resting comfortably in my parts drawer....along with a perfectly fine injector.

They should be able to fix you up. Hopefully that will get you going again!
Major Tom
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

ron4mac

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2020, 12:50:41 AM »
Sent specs and pics to CS but they pointed me to something completely inappropriate. Tried the Quantum HFP-390-U because I couldn't find the HFP-389-U on the Quantum (Highflow) website. Didn't like the fit of the HFP-390-U ... mostly because of a very smooth output port with no barb. Went to their website again and discovered that the search feature is narrow unless you have nothing selected further down regarding a vehicle. This time I found the HFP-389-U and ordered it. Customer service was very good regarding return and refund for the 390.

Carefully soldered the leads to the pump and reassembled. One of the hardest parts of reassembly was getting the stupid little star clip onto the nub to secure the filter. ::)

Almost seems to run better now with the new pump.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2020, 11:18:14 AM »
Sent specs and pics to CS but they pointed me to something completely inappropriate. Tried the Quantum HFP-390-U because I couldn't find the HFP-389-U on the Quantum (Highflow) website. Didn't like the fit of the HFP-390-U ... mostly because of a very smooth output port with no barb. Went to their website again and discovered that the search feature is narrow unless you have nothing selected further down regarding a vehicle. This time I found the HFP-389-U and ordered it. Customer service was very good regarding return and refund for the 390.

Carefully soldered the leads to the pump and reassembled. One of the hardest parts of reassembly was getting the stupid little star clip onto the nub to secure the filter. ::)

Almost seems to run better now with the new pump.

Did you happen to take a photo of your assembled  pump?
Glad you got your LIKE sorted.
Stig
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 11:21:55 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

ron4mac

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2020, 06:54:36 PM »
Did you happen to take a photo of your assembled  pump?
No, I didn't ... probably should have. But all your photos are so good I didn't feel the need to. 8)

bxc

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2022, 05:43:20 AM »
Stig - I am experimenting with replacing the fuel pump to see if it fixes the sputtering on my wife's Kymco Like. Question before I proceed: Did you have to solder the wires to the new pump?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2022, 08:21:41 AM »
Stig - I am experimenting with replacing the fuel pump to see if it fixes the sputtering on my wife's Kymco Like. Question before I proceed: Did you have to solder the wires to the new pump?
No. They were tight spade connectors if memory serves. I do not own a soldering iron, or gun.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

kjems

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2022, 10:16:26 AM »
Thankyou so much for this !

Just replaced my original fuelpump after problems with fall outs in both idle and driving state. And it worked - now runs perfectly again!!!!!

Replaced it with this MTM fuelpump -  https://www.ebay.com/itm/394052084353

Had only one problem, that the electric spade connectors was impossible to disconnect from old pump - my feeling was, that they were soldered somehow and I ended of braking them. But i was able to get them of the cables and crimp two new ones on, that i got from the local mechanic. Apart from that no problems and I would really recommend disconnecting the pump or the battery to be shure not to get any surprising sparks when working right next to that big open hole to the gastank.

Thanks again - i cant explain how good it feels to discover a problem, and then solve it with help from this forum!

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2022, 11:36:59 AM »

Thanks again - i cant explain how good it feels to discover a problem, and then solve it with help from this forum!

One of the main raisons d'etre for the forum.  Well that and the warm glow you get when another Kymco rider fixes their issue!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

kjems

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2022, 11:39:44 AM »
One of the main raisons d'etre for the forum.  Well that and the warm glow you get when another Kymco rider fixes their issue!

Exactly - basically what the internet was meant to be back in the days  :)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()