Author Topic: LIKE running lights DIY pix  (Read 8835 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
LIKE running lights DIY pix
« on: February 24, 2019, 07:36:46 PM »
In case you want to mess with the front running lights while we wait for spring.
Pix from a DIY a few yrs ago...…

Buy better LEDs than I used here...I recommend amber lights - so they'll know you're coming at them on two wheels.

But, 5W incandescent bulbs work, too.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
manual for Piaggio.s
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 09:09:32 PM »
 :Ddo you have a manual for your Piaggio,  I have one from E manual.,,It is very good but it is 2012 issue, and my scoot is a 2016 and I have trouble getting the right Numbers for a gas tank and the dealers service manager is not helping to much., does not speak English.,,and would you have a phone # for a rep.   in the USA, 

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: LIKE running lights DIY pix
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 01:32:16 AM »
:Ddo you have a manual for your Piaggio,  I have one from E manual.,,It is very good but it is 2012 issue, and my scoot is a 2016 and I have trouble getting the right Numbers for a gas tank and the dealers service manager is not helping to much., does not speak English.,,and would you have a phone # for a rep.   in the USA, 
I actually spoke with a knowledgeable (engineer?) at Piaggio USA HQ in Manhattan, NYC by phoning with a tech. question. Got the number from my owner's manual.
I don't have my manual with me at this time - but you should find one in your manual.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 03:12:01 AM »
i did not see it there,  so i will check again, thanks a lot,  stig.,,  the number i got in nyc.  got me some one in cal.,, 

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 11:58:15 AM »
i did not see it there,  so i will check again, thanks a lot,  stig.,,  the number i got in nyc.  got me some one in cal.,, 
Try 877 974 2444 to talk to the folks on the 4th floor at 257 Pk Ave S, NYC -----
tell 'em Tom says 'howdy!'

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Duddy03

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 02:56:27 PM »
Stig
Thanks for this posting.  It's time to give this project a try and add new LED bulbs but I need some clarification: Is there a need to install a new socket and wire to 12 volts for the new yellow location?  Or, are we activating an existing wire and socket which simply needs a bulb to function?  Or, are we actually relocating the existing socket and bulb to the new location?  In this case, the original running light would go dead?

Also, is the W3W LED bulb the LED version of a # 194, miniature wedge base incandescent bulb?  Thanks for your help.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 03:32:03 PM »
Stig
Thanks for this posting.  It's time to give this project a try and add new LED bulbs but I need some clarification: Is there a need to install a new socket and wire to 12 volts for the new yellow location?  Or, are we activating an existing wire and socket which simply needs a bulb to function?  Or, are we actually relocating the existing socket and bulb to the new location?  In this case, the original running light would go dead?

Also, is the W3W LED bulb the LED version of a # 194, miniature wedge base incandescent bulb?  Thanks for your help.
OK, I bet we're talking two different bulb positions on the front of the LIKE.
Coming from motorcycles - I am used to the signal pods. They've never bothered me.
LIKE owners have explored bringing alive the Euro turn-signal positions. I don't recall any DIY for doing so.

I am replacing the bulb in the lower running light position. The socket above, in the amber area, is the non-USA position for the turn indicators.
I'm not messing with that one. To do so would probably involve removing the front of the scooter and messing with the wiring.

I simply replaced the USA 'running light', down here....at the bottom of the fixture.

Bear in mind that there's only one LED bulb in there - the one on the left is its reflection.

This photo shows how much these amber LED lights project around the front of my scooter.

They make great running lights - but do not operate as a turn signal.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Duddy03

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 01:34:37 PM »
Stig
Thanks for the clarification. . . I do get confused easily.   ;D

ScooterNinja

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2020, 11:38:21 PM »
I noticed that my running lights were out, and did this procedure. Turns out, the Molex connections weren't hooked up! They may have been disconnected by the shop when my hard-mounted GPS was installed. At any rate, I tried without success to remove the lower body panel to access the connector. Any suggestions? (The shop waived liability when I took it in for the install; they normally don't work on Kymcos.)
2014 Kymco Like 200i LX

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 01:13:14 PM »
I noticed that my running lights were out, and did this procedure. Turns out, the Molex connections weren't hooked up! They may have been disconnected by the shop when my hard-mounted GPS was installed. At any rate, I tried without success to remove the lower body panel to access the connector. Any suggestions? (The shop waived liability when I took it in for the install; they normally don't work on Kymcos.)

The www.cyclepedia.com manual indicates that the front fender must be removed in order to remove the lower front body panel.
The socket you might be looking for seems to be behind the main front panel.
If your shop was into that front panel - I would think that your labor fee would have been pricey?
The cyclepedia manual has pretty clear instructions and good color photos for panel removal on the LIKE.
Cyclepedia makes the KYMCO service manuals for KYMCO/USA.

Major Tom
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2020, 09:14:21 PM »
Thank you Stig for your excellent guide through this challenge of running bulb change.
Best from Italy, Ruffus
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Moliemook13

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2022, 01:54:48 PM »
Would putting 5W halogen bulbs draw too much power or heat up the wires , since it calls for 3W bulbs? I know its not much more watts but it is almost double. Excellent photos BTW. I struggled to get to the bulbs until you posted the pick of going through the outside. Thank you.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2022, 04:12:44 PM »
Would putting 5W halogen bulbs draw too much power or heat up the wires , since it calls for 3W bulbs? I know its not much more watts but it is almost double. Excellent photos BTW. I struggled to get to the bulbs until you posted the pick of going through the outside. Thank you.
Hello Molie - welcome to the forum!
Well, I'm no expert but - I'd hesitate to put a 5W Halogen bulb in that little gum-rubber socket, because I'm told that Halogen is twice as hot as a incandescent bulb (the kind which was stock part in out LIKE).
So we'd have the heat of a 10W's where a 3W was intended.
I just went out and checked on my 5W LEDs - which were installed several years ago. Still working - still very bright!
They actually produce a pleasant amount of light just in front of the scooter at night.....see below, from a recent ride.

Still burning in there.....

BTW: I mustn't take credit for discovering that these can be replaced by hand , up under the front panel. I saw that somewhere - maybe on youtube - maybe here.

Ride safe!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

rabidhedgehog

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2022, 04:54:40 PM »
Recently pulled my 2017 200i into the garage for some routine maintenance.  While bodywork was off the front, I decided it was good time to address what always seemed like underwhelming lighting.  Started with new LED headlight unit...

MASSIVE difference in output - brighter, clearer.  Was worried about aim because lack of adjustments, but it worked out well.  Low beam seems to fall bit further forward - could be my imagination because old halogen was so much dimmer.  High beam is significant improvement - much longer reach and real attention grabber when flashed.

Far as I can tell heat doesn't seem an issue; external operating temp feels about same as old bulb.  Will be more precise once I find my infrared temp gun.  (Still unpacking from move.)

Also changed out marker, tail/brake, and turn bulbs.  Again, operating temps feel about same, but light output is far better.

HIGHLY recommend swapping old bulbs for LEDs.

Head light: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B092SHMWQZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Marker lights: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079L3WBDN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Tail/Brake light: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09W4C1D4K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Rear Turn light: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08JGKMVNK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Silly questions are cheaper than stupid mistakes...
2017 Like 200i
2017 V-Strom

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()