Author Topic: Bigger battery in my LIKE200i  (Read 6288 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Bigger battery in my LIKE200i
« on: May 29, 2018, 12:37:44 AM »
I installed a 14Ah YUASA in my LIKE200I by trimmimg 5mm off of the 2 hold-down posts found on the under side of the battery cover**.
Measure your LIKE's battery, then match these dimensions on your new, more powerful 12V battery.
My 14Ah battery was a few mm taller than the stock 9Ah Kymco battery.
Stig
** a hacksaw or a steak knife will easily cut the plastic

Stig
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 06:00:07 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

PaulF

• View Profile
Re: Bigger battery in my LIKE200i
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 09:00:07 AM »
Stig, you need to make stickys on all of your helpful threads.  :)  I am going to check my battery tomorrow and make sure it is fully charged but if I do need to change it in the future I will follow your idea.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 09:01:47 AM by PaulF »

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 10:28:26 AM »
It's good to know a bigger battery can go in. When my current one goes I will look at it as a replacement.

However, I'm not a Yuasa convert; they're fine but by no means foolproof. I've always run budget batteries - some have been great, some not so good.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

fishcutter44

• Rhode Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 01:04:46 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to post the pics with detailed info, this is very helpful!
Yuasa is my go-to battery for two wheelers; will replace when time comes.
Kurt
2016 Kymco Like 200i
2005 Bajaj Chetak
2017 Honda Metro
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Special
1965 Fuji Rabbit Touring

David E

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 01:24:24 PM »
I’ve always stuck with YUSA batteries.   They always seem to hold up perfectly.   There are a lot of gel batteries out there and they’re extremely pricey, but the YUSA in my bikes seem to work pretty well.   I do use a gel battery in my truck though.   Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scootertherapy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2020, 07:46:24 PM »
Part number would be nice.. lolz. How you guys doing? Seems odd I only have 600 miles on my bike & it can't keep a charge. I have a very good battery reconditioner and it has kept my original batteries in my 2013 lexus & 2011 xb in great order. Not so w/ the like. What gives?
I called that company. Very rude. They're in PA, so that explains that.. Females there are meh..
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 08:02:53 PM by scootertherapy »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2020, 10:26:13 PM »
Part number would be nice.. lolz. How you guys doing? Seems odd I only have 600 miles on my bike & it can't keep a charge. I have a very good battery reconditioner and it has kept my original batteries in my 2013 lexus & 2011 xb in great order. Not so w/ the like. What gives?
I called that company. Very rude. They're in PA, so that explains that.. Females there are meh..
Phoned what company?
Battery? Charger? Kymco?
Part numbers vary....to be certain > pull your battery, measure it and order whatever you can fit beneath the battery cover.
YUASA website gives you all the info needed on their batteries in a pdf. I've no info about other makes of batteries.
You actually can measure your battery and the battery box without pulling the battery with a little ingenuity.

You can get 8, 10, 12 & 14Ah  batteries into the LIKE200i. I put a 12 in there for a few years....now replaced with the 14.

Unless you simply have a bad battery at present - new battery won't fix the problem if you are riding the scooter frequently.
If it sits - …..well, you know what happens to batteries. Some recommend a motorcycle specific battery tender.
Stig
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 10:29:53 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2020, 06:47:57 AM »
Our experience with my wife’s car during the previous month makes me think it makes a lot of sense to install bigger batteries in these scooters - specially in countries like the US with very cold winters.

In short - a local battery dealer installed a brand new battery in my wife’s car (Ford Focus 2Liter Trend with EFI).about 10 months ago.
During the previous month the engine light suddenly started coming on, and on the same day it started coming on my wife phoned me in quite a panic - the power steering warning light, as well as the ABS warning light also came on by times.
I took the car for a short test drive that evening, and realized the lights were not as bright as usual. When I started the engine, the power steering pump did not work, but came on after a while. During the test drive it was clear that the engine was less powerful than normal.
The weak lights made me think the battery was not fully charged and when I got home I hooked the battery to a battery charger. It was clear that the battery was not fully charged.
The next morning I did a test and it was clear that the battery was charging normally when the engine was running.

So I took the car back to the dealer who installed the battery about ten months ago. After some tests they confirmed that the car’s charging system was working properly, and the battery was still “fine”.
During a discussion the branch Manager had a look at a manual which indicates the correct size batteries on all sorts of vehicles. He then had a look at the battery in my wife’s car and asked me “ Who installed this battery ?”.  I told him “ You people did - I still have the paperwork”.
He then shook his head and told me “Well this battery is too small for this car, you need a bigger battery”.

Long story, but they installed the correct (bigger) battery under warrantee. Since installation the power steering and ABS warning lights never came on again. The engine warning ligh died after a couple of kms, and never came on again., and everything, including power steering works perfectly. The engine power is back to normal as well.

All problems solved just by installing the correct size (bigger) battery. The smaller battery simply could not handle the power feed to several systems on the car. The smaller battery worked well for about ten months, but could not handle the power draw any longer.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2020, 06:43:44 PM »
When I installed a new battery 2 years ago I got another OEM spec battery for my Like 200i. The original battery was still viable but after 6 years I thought it was time for a new one. I have kept the scoot on a battery maintainer (purchased from Cycle Gear) whenever I did not ride for three days or more and got 6 years out of the original one. Winters in my part of Oregon can be down to low 20s at night so in winter I always had it on the maintainer. I have never been stuck by a dead or low battery in 8 years of ownership.
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2020, 08:20:20 PM »
When I installed a new battery 2 years ago I got another OEM spec battery for my Like 200i. The original battery was still viable but after 6 years I thought it was time for a new one. I have kept the scoot on a battery maintainer (purchased from Cycle Gear) whenever I did not ride for three days or more and got 6 years out of the original one. Winters in my part of Oregon can be down to low 20s at night so in winter I always had it on the maintainer. I have never been stuck by a dead or low battery in 8 years of ownership.
I too often get myself well out into the boonies, always in the dark, often below freezing - where a suspect battery would be at least really miserable - if not dangerous to a gentleman of my (let's not use the word, "age")
So, the 14Ah YUASA chiseled into the LIKE's battery box :)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2020, 09:16:21 PM »
Very understandable belt and suspenders is always a good practice. ;)
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2020, 10:19:13 PM »
Very understandable belt and suspenders is always a good practice. ;)
Yep, went to Rural King last summer and totally solved the situation. Haven't had to yank my pants one day since.....
(RK is sorta like a Walmart for Unibomber types)

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

scootertherapy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2020, 06:45:46 PM »
I found Stig's battery measurements & the part number on another thread here. Found a knock off of the same battery, albeit 11 ah.  I'll keep the original as a backup. I think it's just unreliable bc it's been cold & I haven't been riding it much.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q41J8GB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 06:49:36 PM by scootertherapy »

scootertherapy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2020, 06:51:42 PM »

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2020, 02:19:12 AM »
I have an Anderson power pole plug on a jumper from the scoot battery for powering my 2 meter mobile radio. I should get a larger battery as I sometimes have to kick start after a long interchange.
Become the best you can with what you have.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()