Author Topic: 140 miles on my LIKE yesterday.  (Read 2396 times)

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
140 miles on my LIKE yesterday.
« on: July 21, 2014, 11:17:16 PM »
 140 miles in one day is the most I have done in one day. Rode from home to Long Beach, 16 miles, then met up with the scooter club. We rode to Mission San Fernando, 60 miles away. We toured the mission, had lunch and the took the scenic route home.
 My observations about the LIKE during a long ride are that it ran smooth, got great mileage, (80 mpg) and the designer of the seat should be set on fire. Thank goodness I have a rubber mat and an AirHawk seat cushion. They helped greatly. I would never had attempted to ride the LIKE that far with just the stock seat. It has been a great learning experience in finding routes to interesting places without having to go near the freeways.
 There was very very little traffic on Sunday morning. The Westside crazies were not out yet. Temperatures were only in the mid 80s by the afternoon. What a GREAT day.
 I heard that you can go through Camp Pendleton to get to San Diego. That's the only coastal route except for the freeway. You just have to go through a bit of red tape to ride through the Marine Base. It may be an option down the road.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

SalesbyJames

• View Profile
Re: 140 miles on my LIKE yesterday.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 11:46:44 PM »
My seat was my main complaint also.  I pulled the cover and foam.  I added an inch of foam under the Kymco foam and then trimmed the contour on top to flatten.
IT is much more comfortable now.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 12:28:15 AM »
Good on you!
It IS a great deal of fun to ride this scooter....esp. when the seat is modified.
Isn't it a horrible thing!? (but some guys say they have no problem with it....??)
My seat has so much foam added that my 6'3" legs love the ride height and distance from the leg sheild and the extra width I added to stop me from rolling side-to-side..
At stop lights I just drop my feet for a relaxed and very stable stance.
I bet my seat height is around 34-35 inches.
I love it.
Sunday morns are a great time to ride here, too.
Ride safe!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Vintage MX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 12:04:35 PM »
My longest ride so far is about 80 miles.  At first, I hated the seat too but it (or my backside) seems to have improved over time.  I do wish they had designed it without the plastic ridge behind the rider.
2011 Like 200i, 2002 KTM 200 EXC and a garage full of 1970s Motocrossers and Trials Bikes.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 10:41:48 PM »
No, that seat is not getting better with time. Unless the UV rays are cooking what little foam ther is over that ridge...
I cannot overstate the desirability of doing something to re-pad that LIKE seat!
If you are like me - and didn't want to screw up a nice looking stock seat....please try to locate a seat off of a wrecked LIKE (50cc or 200i - they are the same seat) and set to work on it with more foam and some of that SailRite 4-way stretch vinyl. You have nothing to lose - it's a used seat ...and there may just be a happy hind-end at the end of that rainbow!
You will not only make a happy rear end for longer - more enjoyable - rides....but you will think you have installed expensive new Italian rear shocks!
When your keister is feeling  fewer bumps you will think your scooter is too!
I ride for hours on my goofy looking giant seat - and n e v e r think 'seat' anylonger!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Abner_Bjorn

• 5280 Scooter Group Rides on FB
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 03:05:05 PM »
Built up seat for sale:    I'm selling my Like and will be installing a new factory seat to do so.  I'm selling the current seat.   You can see the thread showing photos of what has been done to it.   Leave it the way it is, or modify to your liking.   PM  me if you are interested.   Thanks
Less chit chat, more riding.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 05:02:21 PM »
Built up seat for sale:    I'm selling my Like and will be installing a new factory seat to do so.  I'm selling the current seat.   You can see the thread showing photos of what has been done to it.   Leave it the way it is, or modify to your liking.   PM  me if you are interested.   Thanks

That's a good looking seat! To give us some idea of the added foam... what is the seat height when level, off the center stand?
Stig
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 01:58:56 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

CrzRani

• Rani
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 09:48:05 PM »
Ugh, I thought it was just me with the feeling the lip on the seat was not strategically placed.  Luckily I don't plan on doing long rides like that, but has made me think about investing in something to improve the overall feel.  I like that seat in the photo too.  Looks legit!
Why lose weight, buy more horsepower......

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()