Author Topic: Performance?  (Read 8066 times)

ccemn1

• View Profile
Performance?
« on: July 31, 2018, 01:19:02 PM »
I just bought a new XTown 300-I, Love the bike, but does anyone know if there are ant performance parts available for this bike yet?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Performance?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 05:42:37 PM »
I just bought a new XTown 300-I, Love the bike, but does anyone know if there are ant performance parts available for this bike yet?
Asia maybe.
Too new here in the States.
Darn few performance parts for most Kymcos in the USA, except the 50's. And too many of those parts don't perform or fit as advertised.
Stig
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 05:46:17 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 04:09:15 PM »
If you want better performance=get different bike/scooter.   I, too, have new Xtown 300i 2019----works fine in my book---over 1.5 millon ridden miles since 1955, 10 new maxi scooters since 1990.

Want Xtown to be more enjoyable---get decent windshield, small top box, "Ride On" in tires, may "hump bag"----then ride 10,000 miles before you start any performance mods----think you you will find in standard output it is enjoyable scooter.....it is not trying to be something it is not.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 05:52:59 PM »
I agree with John. I do understand hot rodding and think that is a viable activity BUT most just want a powerful but reliable thing to ride, not something that has to be constantly tinkered to get to your destination. Kymco does pretty well in the reliability department.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 11:52:23 PM »
The easiest way to change the performance of any scooter is to change the rollers.  Want more acceleration?  Put in lighter rollers.  Just keep in mind that you will likely be trading something off.  By far the best thing you can do for your scooters performance is to learn how to ride it properly.  This is one performance mod that has no downsides.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 02:49:13 AM »
Like klaviator said, the rider makes the difference like Lindberg extended the range of the P-38 with no hardware changes. Just knew the dynamics of high altitude, low engine rpm and proper leaning the mixture. Pilot stuff......improve your rider stuff, Maverick!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

ccemn1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 02:47:27 PM »
I've been riding over 50 years, held a national title racing Motos in the US in 1979. I'm not looking for a hot rod, but I also own a Kymco Super 8, 150, which ironically seems quicker, I'm sure because of the power to weight ratio. Was just looking for a little more pep in the 300.
I like Texxan's idea, but never heard of a BRISK spark plug? I was going to install an Iridium, since I've had very good success with them. Any idea where I might obtain a K&N air filter?
I actually made my own for the Super 8, with an old K&N from a car and some epoxy.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 07:33:09 PM »
There ya go! I, too, made an air filter with some of that green filter foam and creative wire works so it won't get sucked in!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

ccemn1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 03:47:36 PM »
I agree with John. I do understand hot rodding and think that is a viable activity BUT most just want a powerful but reliable thing to ride, not something that has to be constantly tinkered to get to your destination. Kymco does pretty well in the reliability department.
Yes, I got a nice (Huge) tail trunk on eBay, and whoever designed that windscreen should be shot. After spending months trying to find an aftermarket screen for the X-Town 300, I finally gave up and bought a Puig air blade. Smartest $70. bucks I've ever spent. It creates a vortex between itself and the stock screen, forcing the air up over your head, instead of getting blasted right in the face. Also probably saved me over $100. in purchasing a whole new screen.
Now that I've got a few thousand miles on her, she seems to have loosened-up a bit, and I'm happier with the performance too.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Performance?
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2020, 09:29:22 AM »

Now that I've got a few thousand miles on her, she seems to have loosened-up a bit, and I'm happier with the performance too.
I have the XT300i too and like you found the performance noticeably better once a few thousand miles had been put on the bore!  Not only did it pick up its skirts and go quicker, but I also noticed than an annoying vibe at 6000 rpm has now all but disappeared. Maybe they do need that time to loosen up and fully hit their stride?  As for performance parts, about all we can get in the UK are Arrow exhausts!

Anyway, I’m enjoying riding it and find that with the top case fitted, it really does fit 95% of my daily transportation needs. Just as well as we only run one car these days!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 09:31:23 AM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2020, 03:17:21 PM »
Yes, I got a nice (Huge) tail trunk on eBay, and whoever designed that windscreen should be shot. After spending months trying to find an aftermarket screen for the X-Town 300, I finally gave up and bought a Puig air blade. Smartest $70. bucks I've ever spent. It creates a vortex between itself and the stock screen, forcing the air up over your head, instead of getting blasted right in the face. Also probably saved me over $100. in purchasing a whole new screen.
I have two questions:
1. Is Puig "air blade" their term? Went googling but nothing but wind visor and deflector shows.
2. What is that red thing in the background? Four wheels anna spoiler...looks like trouble! Har, har!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()