Author Topic: hello im new to kymco  (Read 19132 times)

mudfreek

• View Profile
hello im new to kymco
« on: May 21, 2010, 10:42:51 AM »
hey guys im new to the kymco world i just purchased a 2004 zx50  it has a pipe and maybe other mods that i am not aware of i have trouble starting it in the morning but when its good and warm no issues  the cdi has had a wire cut and re soldered  
ok what i need a lil info on i am looking for a way to clean out the silencer  its a tecnigas  
next is a way to make it have a lil more top end its quick acceleration but peeders out at around 40/45 im looking to go around 50/55
and last im looking for quality body panels it has been layed over  i need the front cover the side skirting and the engine cover as well as the piece across the top under the rack i had another zx50 with a cracked frame but the body was smashed  so i have another engine for when this one goes bad any help would be greatly aprieciated  and what might i be able to do about better brakes
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 10:56:46 AM by mudfreek »
ehh brakes are for sissies

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
Re: hello im new to kymco
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 11:50:49 AM »
what up?? ......welcome to the forum...where you from?   as far as the exhaust, idk...zombie here could tell you more about that, he has his done.. im not sure of the benefit, if any....  i have same exhaust and a 04zx... mine sometimes will take 5-6 kicks to start, sometimes one kick(guess the weather,altitude)..   there are several sites for parts, i very recently had to buy panels also and found that to be be easier at a local shop.. CHECK PRICES, ONE SHOP WAS ALMOST HALF THE PRICE OF ANOTHER HERE.... as far as other parts, malossi parts seem to be the preferred choice... get em from malossiusaonline, ebay(scooter assassins in us), provoscooter, moped hospital, (.com).... your lucky to have an extra motor, thatd b nice...lmao wanna sell a starter??????(i need one)               im just starting out here myself BUT am learning ALOT, slowly..lmao
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

mudfreek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 12:05:25 PM »
i would definatly sell the starter but its fried where the brushes go in the platic piece had melted  btw im frm va so are there any cheap/ free tips to going a lil faster top end

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 03:29:04 AM »
If you feel comfortable messing around with your variator, check the weights of the rollers you have in now. If they're lighter than stock, some slightly heavier ones will likely give more top end but will sacrifice a bit of acceleration.  It's possible, since the scooter has other alterations done, that the previous owner installed lighter rollers to get more acceleration.  I'm only a newbie myself, though, so let Zombie or Wordslinger or Shaka, etc, give you the low down on this.   ;)  By the way, if you live in a hilly area, you may need to leave it the way it is so you can climb hills with ease.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 03:33:20 AM by Hoolander2 »

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 12:20:12 PM »
what up? i broke my brushes off the starter....    from the sounds of it, you may be as far as you can go right now... as hoolander said, check your var to see bout it and rollers... a var will give you bout 3-4mph top end.. 7 rollers are good for me BUT 7.5 gives me about 4-5mph top end, have hit a top speed of 52(great conditions too, avg 47: for now!!.   )..  im putting a var and a reed cage on mine to see what up.. i am currently running stock jug...      yeah, hoo may b on sumthin there: i live in mtns here, 1500 springs throughout help wit the hills(thinkin y my take off suffers a bit,1500contra: but good on ALL THESE DAM HILLS), AM gonna try a couple new setups this week to make sure...      am finding out that it starts getting expensive  to stay above 50+mph..    seeing several issues wit cheap bbks.. done scared me....lmao
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 01:31:32 PM »
Yeah, my cheap cylinder kit has been a bit of a headache but it has also been a good learning curve for me and I believe I can still get more from it, just enjoying it as is for a while, (read don't have any money for more bits yet, life is getting in the way).
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

mudfreek

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 06:27:27 PM »
well as far as rollers should i go with the round ones or the flat ones and as far as clutch are ther any advantages to going with a race/performance one or should i just go with springs

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 05:05:35 AM »
Welcome Mudfeek!  Here is a link on re-packing your Tecnigas silencer:  http://scooterinvasion.net/repacktechnigas.html  It's very easy!  I just did mine a couple weeks ago actually.  I used some FabMat I picked up at Home Depot for about $6.  I have enough to pack it probably 4 more times. 

I think you may be at about the max top speed with 45 mph.  That is about all I ever got out of mine with the stock engine.  I didn't really tune the stock one to the max before I did the BBK though.  If you've already got quick acceleration then your CVT is probably already tuned.  It is a little bit of a trade off between acceleration and top speed.  You can try some Dr. Pulley sliders.  They may give you a extra 1-3 mph on the top end without sacrificing anything on the bottom.  I've been very pleased with mine! 

The next step beyond the CVT tuning is to increase the air flow into the motor either via an open air filter plus re-jetting the stock carb and/or a larger aftermarket carb.

mudfreek

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 10:38:54 AM »
now as far as the cvt is there any way to look at it and see if its stock or  tuned i know the 03 zx50 rollers are a yellowish tan

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 09:09:04 PM »
The next step beyond the CVT tuning is to increase the air flow into the motor either via an open air filter plus re-jetting the stock carb and/or a larger aftermarket carb.

...then the FUN begins!!!!
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

mudfreek

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 11:48:18 PM »
my only concern about goin to a bigger jug is that the odometer reads over 9000 km and the other engine i got read over 12000 now say i go to thw bigger jug how much life would i have left on the stock crank bearings and conecting rod bearings im trying not to shorten the life of my lil zx to bad

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 11:51:59 PM »
...dunno about the zx, or your scoot in general, but i'm fixin to trip 48,000 km on my 08 agility 50...

..stock engine...

..nearly 30,000, miles...

...it's all about how the scoot has been maintained....
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 12:47:02 AM by wordslinger »
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 02:15:54 AM »
my only concern about goin to a bigger jug is that the odometer reads over 9000 km and the other engine i got read over 12000 now say i go to thw bigger jug how much life would i have left on the stock crank bearings and conecting rod bearings im trying not to shorten the life of my lil zx to bad
I bought mine THIRD hand at 11'000 km. Put everything I could on it, and now have @46'000km I think It's all good
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 12:52:05 PM »
...dunno about the zx, or your scoot in general, but i'm fixin to trip 48,000 km on my 08 agility 50... ..stock engine... ..nearly 30,000, miles... ...it's all about how the scoot has been maintained....
                         BOY, YOU SURE ARE RIDING THAT SCOOT..SEEN ONE OF THOSE AG'S, NEAT BACK REST FOR PASS.!  I DIDNT THINK IT WAS A KYMCO, LMAO, PRETTY COOL..        HEY MUDFREAK, YOU CAN ALWAYS WEIGH THE ROLLERS, I HAVE A SET OF DIGI'S. OEM ARE 8.5.. YEAH, IMMA BREAK DOWN MYSELF AN TRY OUT A OPEN FILTER AND JET(if i can figure it out), MAY AS WELL, HEAR DIFF. TALES ON THEM BUT THESE GUYS HERE HADN'T STEERED ME WRONG YET!  FAB MAT HUH?, MAKE IT ANY LOUDER?? I SOUND LIKE A DIRTBIKE ALREADY..LMAO
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 07:17:29 PM »
Compared to my oil saturated oem packing the FabMat is much quieter!  I couldn't take the constant ringing in my ears, so I finally re-packed it! ;D

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()