Author Topic: Continues starting even with key out (See video)  (Read 2921 times)

frogseatflies

• View Profile
Continues starting even with key out (See video)
« on: August 12, 2019, 06:11:56 PM »
Hi all!

This problem reared it's head for the 2nd time.   But now I have a video because I was able to capture it in the act.   And for some reason, this time, there's a metallic rattle sound happening too but that's probably a separate issue.  See the video here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJZnat_HFOg&feature=youtu.be

I took off the solenoid and inspected it.   It's new and so is the starter.   I didn't see anything with the solenoid that looked like it had welded itself together.   Nothing looks awry.

Here's the post for the first time: http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=27996.msg195559#msg195559

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Continues starting even with key out (See video)
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 07:00:36 PM »
Good youtube! Same deal, sounds to me as your link to the first report. It then is in the wiring if not in start switch or start relay. Now on the Downtown there is a small relay that controls the actual bigger start relay. Check to see if yours is set up that way. WHO GOT THE WIRING DIAGRAM FOR THIS MODEL? OK, got one: your start switch provides a ground for the start relay (no small relay in the circuit). So your problem is caused by the wire that goes to your start relay (the one with the thick red cable) from the start switch is grounded somewhere between. Prove this by detaching that wire from the start relay. Starter should be silent when you hook your battery back up. I gonna hold my breath so hurry with this test!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 07:23:55 PM by CROSSBOLT »
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()