Author Topic: Post-wreck oil leak question  (Read 1563 times)

Shumbody

• View Profile
Post-wreck oil leak question
« on: June 30, 2019, 03:30:47 PM »
Sad to say that I hit the pavement on my 2009 150 last week after hitting a cluster of potholes while turning left. The scoot went down on its left side, and continued to run for about a minute while I was on my back on the road. When I was able to get myself on my feet and the bike up on its wheels, there was a trickle of oil on the left side cover. It appears that it was coming from the air box, and sure enough, I found a puddle inside it, no doubt from running while on its side.
So my question is, what else might I have to look at/clean up before putting the scooter back on the road? BTW, aside from the body panel and front fender getting road rashes, the chrome trim and logos getting messed up, and snapping the left brake lever off, the scoot seems ready to roll. (I was three hours at the ER, four days out of work, and still scraped, swollen and sore -‘but no broken bones and my left knee is slowly coming back to normal size).

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Post-wreck oil leak question
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 04:57:15 PM »
Wow, Sorry to hear of your off.
Hope you heal up OK.
I'd remove the airbox cover, clean things up, put it all back together. Check your dipstick level....any oil lost?
It is not unusual for there to be some oil in the airbox...perhaps the oil dripping from there is not a sign of an injured motor.
Mend yourself, and the scooter parts - and see if she still runs as before your upset.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Shumbody

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 12:48:25 AM »
Thanks Stig. Xrays looked okay, but I was having more muscle pain 3 weeks post than I did the day after. Had to go back to the ER a week ago when I couldn’t get a breath at work. CT scan revealed FIVE fractured ribs and a fractured sternum that they somehow couldn’t see after the wreck. Of course, it did happen after 4 on a Friday...

Took the scoot out for a two hour ride today. Perfect weather and everything worked except the horn which had after the accident. Must’ve screwed something up when I was putting the new brake handle on.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 11:22:43 AM »
Geez!
You certain you should be riding this soon?!!
Glad scoot is working for you....but doubt YOU have mended fully.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()