Author Topic: CC's determine my riding destinations  (Read 507 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
CC's determine my riding destinations
« on: May 22, 2022, 05:27:27 PM »

I was in another typical small midwestern (Ohio) town yesterday getting my pup groomed.
It really is a cool little town which was obviously a thriving community at one time - probably as late as the '50's or '60's?.
I was impressed at how many of the buildings are being saved - while many are being repurposed and are under renovation.
The once vacant corner lot near the town's traffic circle, where I waited with a book and my coffee - now looked like this.

No coffee shops to speak of....but the main reason I won't ride one of my scooters here is because all approaches are 55mph.
And I pissed off a great many drivers yesterday by driving my truck 55mph here yesterday. Two, in particular, resorted to some asinine moves (like passing me on a curve at the top of a hill, marked no-passing)
I do not have enough CC's to run safely on these roads.....so, I don't.

More importantly - for me - when I did own two scooters which could safely run on those roads - I found I did not enjoy it.
So I sold them.

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
Re: CC's determine my riding destinations
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2022, 06:10:32 PM »
going from 125 to 190 has made a difference which roads I take, for sure, I still try to stick to my old 125cc habits, but instead of being pinned, I'm running with a lot more throttle to twist, and likely another gear or 2, but I still really don't like going above 50
RandyO
IBA#9560

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2022, 08:54:31 AM »
Nice looking place Stig, shame it's only accessible on double nickel routes!  I'll never whinge about UK roads again as we pretty much ALWAYS have an alternative low traffic'd minor road available as an alternative to the A roads and Motorways.  The B roads and unclassified roads are my stomping ground of preference; takes way longer of course, but you see more and meet less traffic, usually twistier as well, so what's the rush?
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

wymple

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2022, 04:15:42 AM »
Is that Urbana, Ohio? Cafe Paradiso looks a bit different than I remember when I passed thru there, some time back.

aschrauth

• Have patience, Don't be in such a Hurry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2022, 11:41:50 PM »
displacement CC's doesnt matter to me. Who cares what other people think and if you are going slow and others pass you. Only thing that matters is that you are having fun and you get to your destination safely.
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2022, 12:59:49 AM »
Is that Urbana, Ohio? Cafe Paradiso looks a bit different than I remember when I passed thru there, some time back.
Sorry for late reply.
Yes, Urbana is where my pup gets groomed.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2022, 03:40:02 PM »
When I leave my house to go anywhere I have a choice of a 2 lane 50MPH road or four lane 55MPH road.  Neither are an issue for me on a 150cc scooter.  50-55MPH seems to be a natural cruising speed for my Like 150i and my Super 8 150 that I had before the like.  If I don't pay attention my speed on the Like easily creeps up to 60.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2022, 07:44:22 PM »
Coming home from Wally World today on my Like I decided to twist the throttle and tuck in and see what she would do.

66MPH on the speedo, probably 64 actual speed.  It felt perfectly comfortable at that speed.  It would be nice to be able to do 70+ but the only 150 class scooter that will do that is the SMax.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2022, 01:34:38 PM »
Klav - that's impressive speed! I was going to ask if you've verified the indicated speeds with a gps unit?
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2022, 02:34:23 PM »
Klav - that's impressive speed! I was going to ask if you've verified the indicated speeds with a gps unit?

I don't have GPS on my scooter but I have run it past a number of those radar speed signs at various speeds and the speedo on my Like reads 1-2 MPH high so it's pretty accurate.

I have a new belt and rollers.  As the belt and rollers wear the top speed goes down.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2022, 06:28:10 PM »
I don't have GPS on my scooter but I have run it past a number of those radar speed signs at various speeds and the speedo on my Like reads 1-2 MPH high so it's pretty accurate.

I have a new belt and rollers.  As the belt and rollers wear the top speed goes down.

last Sunday I went out of my way to go past a radar sign, but instead of speed, it was displaying a Memorial Day and DWI message.
RandyO
IBA#9560

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()