Author Topic: Will scoots ever be the main means of transport in Western countries?  (Read 8187 times)

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
Re: Will scoots ever be the main means of transport in Western countries?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2014, 02:18:00 PM »
They will become more popular as transport in time.

We, the horsepower generation,,will need to die off and rot first. It's coming kids don't give a rats butt about HP for the most part. Look who buys those little insect looking cars. More people less space.

In time.....

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2014, 10:12:19 PM »
You can never tell guys... when i was a little boy, scoots are for sissies and girls here on the islands... Now, I ride one.. Lol!... The problem is the ol' American male ego!!! deymn!!!   Time will tell...
Scoots are still for sissies. You ought to hear me laughing and singing like a little girl as I ride along the country roads in my kevlar "Mom Jeans" - watching the sun come up over my tachometer!
(I figured out who I was one sunny day, up to my chin in liquid sh_t by the berm of a paddy dike. Being the only remaining platoon medic I was pretty sure I was going to expire. Either today from old Luke-The-G__k and his mortors & RPGs - or from the stuff we were swallowing. You see, the Vietnamese empty their 'night soil' pots into the paddies to add nutrients to the rice plants.)(I understand Luke now has a job making CBR250Rs and Metropolitans.....crazy old world)
Stig
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 10:35:29 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2014, 11:52:29 PM »
Kick ass, and don't bother taking names.

We're all here for ya Vivo.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2014, 04:45:54 AM »
yeah sissies... even harleys have sissy bars!   ;D ;D ;D

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2014, 12:47:40 PM »
Scooters and mopeds are for smart people...because we are the not paying for insurance .the high gas price.and the the repairs.that bigger cars and truck pay for.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2014, 02:04:57 PM »
To sum it up.... I live in a country that has more than 3 million scoots and motorbikes... a lot? no... vietnam has more than 20 million....   My point is.... scoots are basic transportation in these parts of the world... gas prices is not an issue, insurance is not an issue... being cool or not is not an issue... motor oil is not an issue... we just need to go from point A to B... thats all...

By the way... If storms and typhoons becomes more frequent... I will trade my scoot with a Jet ski....   good night...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2014, 02:49:34 PM »
Funny you happen to mention both Viet Nam, and jet ski's in the same post.
I've been developing a dual sport hydrofoil type sailing vessel. I can't really say exactly what it is yet but, Viet Nam has come up as the number one option for production facilities down the road. Singapore was a strong contender but living there is tough, )ie restrictive/expensive/crowded.

Sorry to change the subject like that. It just has been the only thing on my agenda... Researching the best way to develop a start up empire.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2014, 06:42:51 PM »
You can never tell guys... when i was a little boy, scoots are for sissies and girls here on the islands... Now, I ride one.. Lol!... The problem is the ol' American male ego!!! deymn!!!   Time will tell...

So are you a sissy or a girl? LOL! Glad to see you post up here. I'm still thinking electric cars will be the future.

as far as mass transit goes, if I were anyone that doesn't have it and the govt. proposes it, shoot down any form of rail line in favor of a bus line. Rail lines will not pay for themselves. On top of that the citizens cannot compete with it. If you encourage a bus line at some future point the civilians can start a small bus company and expand, competing with the govt. run business.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

Porkie

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2014, 09:06:08 PM »
NO.  Most of us dress to well to ride scoots or bikes to work everyday and then our distances here for our commutes exceed anything in most other countries.

Sam:)
2014 Polaris Ranger 800 crew cab 4x4
2012 Honda Goldwing Blue
2013 Kymco Xciting RI ABS in gold/ orange
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650 blue metallic
KF6GUW Amateur Extra

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2014, 12:27:06 PM »
I went to High school w/ the fella that started the Hampton Jittney.
He started w/ ONE 1972 ford econoline van, and is now a billionaire.

Something to be said for private bus lines..  http://www.hamptonjitney.com

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2014, 03:02:20 PM »
I don't think scooters will ever be as big, here in the States, as they are in Europe and Asia for a couple of reasons.

1.  In Europe, and more so in Asia, scooters (and motorcycles) are used as primary transport for a lot more of the people. They are treated as basic, economical, utilitarian machines. People there ride their scoots everyday, for all their daily transportation needs. And, they seem to keep their scoots and bikes longer, and ride them till the wheels fall off.
Plus, Europe and Asia, don't seem to have the same motorcycle snobbery that America has. At least, not as bad.
Here in the U.S., while there are a few of us who have forsaken the cager lifestyle, the overwhelming majority of American riders only see bikes of any kind as recreational vehicles. Fair weather play-toys! If it's warm and sunny outside, the bikes come out, and they ride like it's their whole life. As soon as it's a little chilly out, or there's a 5% chance that a drop of rain MIGHT fall, then the bikes and scoots are locked up in the garage and they run back to the comfort and protection of their cars and trucks. For that reason, most Americans only want the biggest, loudest, and most obnoxious ride they can get (Harley). And they seem to not keep them for very long, and trade them in every time the next new thing comes out.

2.  In the States, we have virtually NO aftermarket support for scooters. So there's almost no options for customizing our rides. The only options for us is to either find connections with overseas parts makers, and pay a fortune for shipping costs, or to custom make our own mod parts. And as much as I hate to say it, MOST Americans are too freakin' lazy to put that much effort into it.
Look at just about any Harley Davidson. 99.99% of the "CUSTOM" Harleys out there, are nothing but a bunch of off-the-shelf parts that are just bolt on styling touches.
With most of our scoots, the only things available are some aftermarket windscreens, top cases for the back, and some performance mods for the folks dedicated enough to put the work into it.
For anything else, it's either DIY or don't do it at all!
If we had the same level of aftermarket support as motorcycles do, I think A LOT more Americans would take a more serious look at scooters.

3.  Finally (and this is just my goofy brain at work), I think a lot of Americans don't ride scooters, because there is NO scooter on the market that says Harley Davidson on it!
If Harley designed, and built a motorscooter, there would be American buyers lined up out the door to buy one! Granted, half of them wouldn't start and the other half would spend more time broke down on the side of the road than actually being ridden, but American buyers would buy them, just because it would be something new and different from the "Mother Company".
But that's just my opinion! ;)

Duke- 8)

FYI-- Despite the way it sounds....NO, I don't have anything personal against Harley Davidson! I have MANY friends who are Harley guys. Harley was just the easiest, and most obvious example to use!  :D
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2014, 03:52:39 PM »
Harley Topper is a scooter! ;)

In Eurasia, scooters are much less common as motorcycles (with big wheels and ground clearance).
Ride on Indian (etc.) roads and you know why.

In the near future I can't see any demand for the US to encourage in 2-wheelers. They will probably arrange just another "war for freedom/justice/against terror/..." to rape oil-wells and continue as usual.
Their artificial modern cities are wide enough to suffer only modest traffic jams (older NY may be an exception of this rule, but still no comparison to Mumbai or Bangkok).

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2014, 06:18:54 PM »
This is a great thread. You guys all bring up some very insightful points.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2014, 01:38:11 AM »
When the Japanese introduced "small" cars to the U.S. ... Americans did not see them to last long in the market long... Americans would never buy small cars, they said... what do you see now?    ;)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2014, 06:54:50 AM »
Are you bashing American'ts again? You think driving clown cars is funny eh?  You're right.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()