Author Topic: 15K on my 2018 Like 150i  (Read 347 times)

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
15K on my 2018 Like 150i
« on: November 30, 2021, 06:35:13 PM »
In 22 days I will have owned my Like for 3 years.  I took this pic after riding about 30 miles today.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
Re: 15K on my 2018 Like 150i
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 06:56:49 PM »
Wow, that is fantastic. I'm lucky to do 3000 miles/yr

Congratulations!

Dean
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 07:00:35 PM »
Wow, that is fantastic. I'm lucky to do 3000 miles/yr

Congratulations!

Dean

I've got three other bikes and will probably end up with close to 15,000 miles this year.  Despite being the smallest bike I have, the Like will probably have the most miles ridden this year.  It was my top mileage bike the last two years.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 08:01:18 PM »
I've got three other bikes and will probably end up with close to 15,000 miles this year.  Despite being the smallest bike I have, the Like will probably have the most miles ridden this year.  It was my top mileage bike the last two years.
How about a "15,000 Mile Mechanical Report" of this scooter?
Faults, recalls, service, etc.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 09:23:59 PM »
How about a "15,000 Mile Mechanical Report" of this scooter?
Faults, recalls, service, etc.

Stig

OK, I'll do that.

Bought new Dec 22, 2018.

After around 400 miles the ABS started acting up.  I eventually took it to the dealer who had it for a couple of months trying to figure out the problem.  They couldn't read the codes due to the fact that a new cable was needed and Kymco hadn't brought any into the country.  They eventually determined it was the front ABS magnetic ring and later recalled all the Likes for that issue.  While it was in the shop there was a recall on the fuel pump and changed the fuel pump on mine.

Checked the valves at 1000 miles with all in spec.

I don't remember the mileage but I had issues with the scooter dying on me.  The Wiring harness to the fuel injector was replaced under warranty.

I had the engine die on me a number of times due to the Spark plug cap coming off the spark plug.  Luckily this was easy to fix on the side of the road.  I have replaced the cap a few times and eventually zip tied it in place.

I had the engine start cutting out.  Tech fixed it by replacing the battery.

Checked the valves at 11,000 miles.  They all needed some adjustment with the Exhausts being tight and the intakes a bit loose.

Recently the engine quit on me again.  I figured out the Pin connector to the injector was the problem again.  I fixed it by spraying some electronics cleaner into the connector.

I have gone through a few tires.

The OEM rear was toast after only 1784 miles.  I replaced it with a City Grip.

I put a Pirelli Angel on the front at 7224 miles.

I replaced the rear CG with an Pirelli Angel at 7265 miles.  That's 5481 on the City Grip.

The Pirelli's didn't ride as good as the City Grips or last as long so I replaced them with a City Grip 2 on the rear and power pure on the front.  That's what is currently on the scooter.

I have been changing the oil around every 1200 miles using Valvoline 10W40 synthetic.

The Belt broke at 10,007 miles.  Recommended interval is 12,000 miles.  The rollers were in real bad shape.  I will replace the belt and rollers around 8000 miles next time.

That's about it.  It's a great scooter most of the time but hasn't been that reliable.  I'll replace it when something better comes along but right now nothing is calling my name.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2021, 11:33:31 PM »
WelL dang, Klav! That's not the report I think we were hoping for!

I've got @17,500 on my 1st gen. LIKE - and if it ever quits on the road on me you'll read about it here!!
You've more patience with a vehicle than I do. I've been out this week riding in the pre-dawn hours with temps in the 20's - in the boonies - and frankly  I would not attempt that with your scooter after its first stoppage. I've got road-side assistance, but that's not how I get my assurance when I'm out in the sticks on a cold night.

Yeah, new fangled stuff needs to come in the same shipment with everything it needs to keep it serviced and reliable.
Fingers crossed for these guys with their pricey new 550's. sure they've been out for years - but not here in the States. All new to the techs.

I'd have to give your LIKE150i a grade of  "improvement needed" .....and it was issued in Asia long before it showed up here. Bugs should have been sorted.

Looking for something very reliable?.....probably a bunch of left-over first generation LIKE's out there :)

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2021, 01:48:29 AM »
WelL dang, Klav! That's not the report I think we were hoping for!

I've got @17,500 on my 1st gen. LIKE - and if it ever quits on the road on me you'll read about it here!!
You've more patience with a vehicle than I do. I've been out this week riding in the pre-dawn hours with temps in the 20's - in the boonies - and frankly  I would not attempt that with your scooter after its first stoppage. I've got road-side assistance, but that's not how I get my assurance when I'm out in the sticks on a cold night.

Yeah, new fangled stuff needs to come in the same shipment with everything it needs to keep it serviced and reliable.
Fingers crossed for these guys with their pricey new 550's. sure they've been out for years - but not here in the States. All new to the techs.

I'd have to give your LIKE150i a grade of  "improvement needed" .....and it was issued in Asia long before it showed up here. Bugs should have been sorted.

Looking for something very reliable?.....probably a bunch of left-over first generation LIKE's out there :)

Stig

Other people have bought Like 150i's and not had any issues.  Electrical problems have also been reported by many BMW owners.  The Yamaha Xmax also seems to have had a lot of electrical issues in its first model year.  There are no makes that are without issues.   

Luckily mine has never stranded me far from home and I have a pickup truck.  The three times that it needed rescuing I was always within about 5 miles from home.  What has been an issue for me is that the dealer is 100 miles away. 

I also have two Kawasaki's and a Yamaha and they have been very reliable with the only issues taking place during servicing.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()