Author Topic: Engine oile capacity, Like 200i  (Read 2441 times)

Bernie

• View Profile
Engine oile capacity, Like 200i
« on: September 14, 2014, 12:31:48 AM »
I've changed the oil three times since I bought the scoot. First two times, didn't drop the screen (I let the dealer do that at the 600 mile workover). I got 22-23 ounces of oil rather than the 30 ounces cited in the owners manual. I figured the rest would come out if/when I dropped the screen. I put in the same volume of new oil as I got out old oil. Just did my 3rd oil change, and dropped the screen. Still got 22-23 ounces. I put the same volume back in. Dip stick says oil's full before and after the change.
     Where's the missing 7-8 ounces?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Engine oile capacity, Like 200i
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 12:36:40 AM »
all around the inside of the cases

Do you screw in the dip stick or check it un-threaded?  I check it Un-threaded
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Bernie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 04:52:40 PM »
I check oil level with the dip stick unthreaded. In any event, the immediately preceding oil change was done by the dealer, the dip stick said the reservoir was full, and I was only able to drain 22 oz, same as from my own oil change-overs.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 09:33:39 PM »
I have performed 11 oil changes and screen cleanings on my LIKE200i. I would always
refill with just under a quart (I pour in about 3/4ths of a Qt, then run engine and add & check dip stick.) I would think you might just over fill if you put in that .95 Qt without pulling the screen.
Owners manual mentions at least 3 times not to over fill....so I always sneak up on the proper amount!
Ride it safely...
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 09:35:49 PM »
Bernie, I am thinking your manual is stating the wrong amount.
Kymco manuals are known for their inaccuracies.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Bernie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 05:34:31 PM »
When I was surprised at my first oil change (200 mile) to get only 3 cups m/l in, I figured it was 'cause I didn't drop the screen. So, next change (400 mile), I measured what came out (still didn't pull the screen). Got 22 oz. Both times the dip stick (not screwed in) showed the level above the halfway point on the grid. I had the dealer do the next oil change with grid removal at 600 mile for the break in checkup. I checked the oil afterward and it was, as before, above the halfway point on the grid. At 1600 mile, changed the oil myself including dropping the screen. Measured what came out. All told, 23 oz. Refilled with 23 oz, and, as before, measured above the halfway point on the grid of the dip stick. Added another 2 oz, and oil spilled over the edge. I don't think it's possible for me to get any more in. Incidentally, my owners manual does not warn against overfilling engine oil or gear oil.
     Stopped by the dealer to order a spare air cleaner, and forgot to ask about the oil capacity. Maybe next time I'm there I'll remember. Anyway, thanks to you guys for your attempts to help.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 07:45:53 PM »
Bottom line is your scoot holds 23 Oz. No worries!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 09:51:31 PM »
When I was surprised at my first oil change (200 mile) to get only 3 cups m/l in, I figured it was 'cause I didn't drop the screen. So, next change (400 mile), I measured what came out (still didn't pull the screen). Got 22 oz. Both times the dip stick (not screwed in) showed the level above the halfway point on the grid. I had the dealer do the next oil change with grid removal at 600 mile for the break in checkup. I checked the oil afterward and it was, as before, above the halfway point on the grid. At 1600 mile, changed the oil myself including dropping the screen. Measured what came out. All told, 23 oz. Refilled with 23 oz, and, as before, measured above the halfway point on the grid of the dip stick. Added another 2 oz, and oil spilled over the edge. I don't think it's possible for me to get any more in. Incidentally, my owners manual does not warn against overfilling engine oil or gear oil.
     Stopped by the dealer to order a spare air cleaner, and forgot to ask about the oil capacity. Maybe next time I'm there I'll remember. Anyway, thanks to you guys for your attempts to help.
.95 Qt.......like I said - put in 3/4s of a Qt, check dip stick.....add a little until she's in the middle of the stick. Then stop.
DO pay attention to the proper amount of the gear oil re-fill....the LIKE does NOT do a "fill till it comes out the fill hole" gear oil change. You add the amount specified. Then close it up. Some say it does not matter. some say they see oil thenin their air filter if gear oil over-filled. I put in the proper measured amount...never had a problem in 7 changes.
Stig
Pg 33 mentions overfilling once, pg 34 mentions it twice in my manual.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()