Author Topic: Mesh bridge surfaces on scooter  (Read 996 times)

john grinsel

• View Profile
Mesh bridge surfaces on scooter
« on: June 27, 2019, 10:54:28 AM »
Recent scooter trip to the UP of Mich, crossed Mesh surfaces three times, Mackinac Bridge ( quite long), did same bridge in Houghton (short) twice.

Really gets your attention on scooter that has rear weight bias and has high load--- just replax and let scooter move around---death grip on bars=possible killer.    Been over these bridges on real motorcycles in the past with no trouble, and on other scooters,  my point here is it takes much more skill to ride scooter than motorcycle---scooter has no pegs to stand on/tank to grip.

Been on these same bridges with Helix/Reflex/Burgman 400/SilverWing 600---XTown 300i really attention getter for me. Maybe tire combination?

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
Re: Mesh bridge surfaces on scooter
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 04:45:58 PM »
Tires do make a difference.  The biggest difference for me was when I started riding dual sport and dirt bikes.  After riding in sand and gravel those mesh surfaces and grooved pavement no longer bothers me.  Just let the bike move around.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 04:11:19 PM »
They still make me feel unsettled, especially if riding in the rain, but it's just a matter of trusting your bike and tires to ride it out and not panic. Regardless, I tend to get into the right lane so no one is tailgating me to go faster.

- Wolf 

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 07:40:27 PM »
This thread reminded me of riding over the Mercer Island bridge and the Lake Washington floating bridge, Seattle area, early and late 60's on a skinny tire Honda, mid-tire Yamaha and a fat tire Harley Sportster H. The mesh was bothersome until like klaviator said, just let her wiggle! I do recall the "wiggling" was minimized by angling from one side to the other of your lane.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 10:05:13 PM »
Agreed: Let the bike do her thing, don't try to change direction or speed, keep a light grip on the bars.
2009 GV 250

dan v.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 12:06:53 PM »
Just curious.  Were the paved outside lanes on the Mackinac Bridge closed for painting/construction? 
05 Super 9, 06 Best & Win, and a fleet of other scoots.....
Grand Rapids, MI

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 01:01:42 PM »
What lanes are open varies on that bridge----painting or repair.   Just relax and look ahead. 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()