Author Topic: Trip completion--Chattanooga- UP Mich and return  (Read 1028 times)

john grinsel

• View Profile
Trip completion--Chattanooga- UP Mich and return
« on: June 23, 2019, 03:34:32 PM »
XTown 300  2019, now has 7500 miles, trip 2700 miles, MPG about 70....bike seems to like super when working hard.   No oil used.   This scooter seems super reliable.  Dog enjoyed ride.

Tires---rear City Grip still wearing round, front OEM Kenda showing signs of use----this tire combo not so great on wet grooved pavement----replacement time, will try matched pr of Michelin Power Pure SC---had good experience with them on both Burgman 400 and 2 new SilverWings.

Much as I hate it used, hump bag for extra junk.  Temps 50-97 F, only real hot day was yesterday---most of the ride was cold, 3 days of rain----used Joe Rocket rainsuit----given that temps remained cool and lots of wet, too I would have been better  off with my Darien Jacket and pants----the Darien pants I just wear with only long underwear underneath.

Bike only needs oil change, tire pressure check, good wash, general look over.  Note: at about 5,000 miles engine seems to have been really broken in----I use RPM up to 8,000 in heavy Chattanooga traffic....does not seem to hurt anything.  As I ride scooter as scooter, going down the highway 60 mph fine.

I did not wear my new RS helmet as I was not sure it would be all day comfortable.  Wore GMAX 3/4 with long bill---all day comfortable.

Lots of fresh foam ear plugs----Windshield ok...Puig Touring with Laminar Lip, top box Bestem small for dog.  Maybe going to put stock shield with Lip back on, same on top box may go back to my Givi E-46, as it did not seem to hurt handling.

tortoise

• View Profile
Re: Trip completion--Chattanooga- UP Mich and return
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 04:36:29 PM »
trip 2700 miles
That's almost equal to a cross-country.

Frequently read about some element of the exhaust system failing due to vibration and heat-stress . . on scooters in general.

What is your engine oil preference?  Did you run any additives such as Lucas Fuel Treatment?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 04:43:37 PM by tortoise »

monkeybongos

• Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 06:25:46 PM »
Doing 60mph on the highway doesn't result in people riding up your ass?
2014 BV 350  "IndiGO" (fast, strong and tireless)
2006 Honda Rebel 250  "Snow Leopard" (stealthy, agile and durable)
2018 Lance Cali Classic 200i  "Black Panther" (smooth, nimble, quiet and quick)
2016 Wolf V-50 (sold)

Wanted a Kymco, ended up w a Lance, but that forum is inactive, so I am here

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 09:19:42 PM »
At 80 mph they still run up your ass---secret stay in the right/slow lane---cops never seem to watch it, too.

Oil=I use WalMart house brand 10-40,  normal use I change every 1,000 miles---reason 1 qt capacity,, unfiltered--oil is cheap insurance.  I use no additives--Trip where I know about the total miles and time, I change when I get home.….just did....oil black, means additives did their job.

I think clean oil/frequent changes the important thing.....and of course checking the oil at then end of everyday of hard running.    Have over 500,000 2 wheel miles with the Wall Mart oil, used it in my 2 Miatas goes in my Mitsuibishi Mirage now, too.

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 10:55:37 AM »
Might add something on XTown 300 I-----seat is fine....any complaints on that you are probably not in shape or too fat.

Utopia back rest might be interesting addition----but based on past experience---they are expensive, very heavy and a little too high.  They compromise rear seat room and shorten luggage carrying space-----but in some cases may add all day comfort

monkeybongos

• Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 11:07:01 AM »
"I use no additives......oil black, means additives did their job."

Confused on whether you add them or not...
2014 BV 350  "IndiGO" (fast, strong and tireless)
2006 Honda Rebel 250  "Snow Leopard" (stealthy, agile and durable)
2018 Lance Cali Classic 200i  "Black Panther" (smooth, nimble, quiet and quick)
2016 Wolf V-50 (sold)

Wanted a Kymco, ended up w a Lance, but that forum is inactive, so I am here

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 11:25:12 AM »
"I use no additives......oil black, means additives did their job."

Confused on whether you add them or not...

I think he means 1. He does not add additives and 2. Black oil shows additives ALREADY in the oil have done their job.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 01:08:29 PM »
I add nothing to oil period, sometimes a little Marvel Mystery oil in gas.

Question on part that fails on scooters....almost universal with scooters that require muffler removal to get rear wheel off----the muffler to exhaust pipe gasket, Japanese call it a packing----Carry a spare, from Kymco they are cheap---if you have shops change rear tire.....they are NOT usually very careful in replacing gasket or re-using!

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2019, 09:59:36 PM »
I have removed my rear wheel three times on my GV 250 and reused the same exhaust gasket each time with no exhaust leaks. I am gentle when re-tightening the flange nuts. I also don't change crankcase oil drain gaskets unless they leak, which is almost never. The only gasket that is good only once is on spark plugs so I throw away the old plug regardless of its electrode condition. Once crushed the spark plug gasket is history.
2009 GV 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()