Author Topic: DEER really like cool, overcast dawns!!  (Read 817 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
DEER really like cool, overcast dawns!!
« on: July 22, 2021, 12:23:31 PM »
I've seen this many times over the years. Cool and overcast mornings - just before and just after sunrise - the deer are out running errands, or going to Wyoming or some darn thing!

I had 3 of the largest deer I've seen in years stroll across the road in front of me yesterday morning....with conditions just as I noted above. At least the last one to cross was a buck with a nice set of antlers. First two might have been big does.

Very rarely see them on warm sunny days. COLD & sunny days, yes - but not warm days.

I registered these deer in this section of my morning route into my mental log for future rides.
I've no problem slowing for deer areas - only gets to be a problem when being followed by a fast approaching car. I've enhanced the rear lighting on each of the 4 scooters I've owned to help deal with this.

Still, I'd rather deal with deer at dawn than play on my scooter mid-day in auto traffic!

Major Tom
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: DEER really like cool, overcast dawns!!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 01:48:13 PM »
Nice shot Stig.  Still too hot here to venture out after about 8 am!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2021, 04:53:14 AM »
We got deer all over the place here in north Austin...Little bitty ones. I didnt know they made em' so small! I thought they were all just yearlings at first but then i started noticing there werent any adults and some of em' have antlers :D

Awesome pic BTW
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 12:31:56 PM »
We got deer all over the place here in north Austin...Little bitty ones. I didnt know they made em' so small! I thought they were all just yearlings at first but then i started noticing there werent any adults and some of em' have antlers :D

Awesome pic BTW

We get the titchy ones here too, think ours are Muntjacs?   

Google defines them as:  Reeves’ muntjac (Muntiacus reevesi)

The muntjac is also known as the barking deer because of it’s distinctive call. It is the smallest of the British deer, with a shoulder height of around 48cm. They have golden coats and very small antlers.

They can be found in most English counties now and parts of Wales. Muntjac were introduced into the wild in Britain in 1925 after escaping from stately gardens.

It is thought to be the first modern deer species, having evolved 15-20 million years ago and changing little since then.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2021, 06:13:29 PM »
I've seen this many times over the years. Cool and overcast mornings - just before and just after sunrise - the deer are out running errands, or going to Wyoming or some darn thing!

I had 3 of the largest deer I've seen in years stroll across the road in front of me yesterday morning....with conditions just as I noted above. At least the last one to cross was a buck with a nice set of antlers. First two might have been big does.

Very rarely see them on warm sunny days. COLD & sunny days, yes - but not warm days.

I registered these deer in this section of my morning route into my mental log for future rides.
I've no problem slowing for deer areas - only gets to be a problem when being followed by a fast approaching car. I've enhanced the rear lighting on each of the 4 scooters I've owned to help deal with this.

Still, I'd rather deal with deer at dawn than play on my scooter mid-day in auto traffic!

Major Tom

Suburbia swallowed up the countryside so fast here that the deer dont know they arent in the woods anymore...And they are so used to traffic that they dont see it as a threat and so they just stand there calmly in the street...they dont even bolt when you walk up to them until you are right on top of em.

You could basically hunt them with a club

AND THEYRE TINY!!!

Im pretty sure i could carry one of the adults alone...i bet theyre delicious
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()