Author Topic: They say God looks out for babies and fools. You decide.  (Read 1599 times)

Forbes1964

• View Profile
They say God looks out for babies and fools. You decide.
« on: May 03, 2016, 07:32:57 AM »
Monday morning as I started my 50 commute to work, my Xciting 250 stumbled as I pulled out of my driveway. Instead of turning around and driving my car, I shrugged it off because I had taken off like a bat from the underworld two seconds after starting it up. I drove 65+ because I was running late.
Well, I got within two miles of work , and it momentarily stumbled again. I got busy at work and promptly FORGOT what happened. After waiting out an afternoon pop up rain shower, I left work, got to the by-pass and TRIED to gun it to merge with traffic. It just puttered. So I just hobbled to the nearest parts house. Had to buy a spark plug AND the tools to install it. The old plug Was BEYOND worn.

Thankful that 1. I made it to work
2. It messed up BEFORE I hit that 30 mile stretch between no where and no where else!
3. The parts house had the correct spark plug IN STOCK!
4. The spark plug fixed it.

Was I
A. A baby
B. A fool
C. Both

I'm my parents YOUNGEST child. I'm an auto mechanic and SHOULD know better . So I guess the answer is C. [emoji1474]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
Re: They say God looks out for babies and fools. You decide.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 08:44:12 AM »
I don't think you're any of the three choices.
I'd say you're just human! We all have our moments where we overlook the little things!

Ride on.

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 08:55:17 AM »
I don't think you're any of the three choices.
I'd say you're just human! We all have our moments where we overlook the little things!

Ride on.

AMAC
Thanks.

I've had TWO incidents with my scooter. Both times they happened in a good place. The first was when my belt broke, and I was only 3 miles from home. The second was the incident described above. And I was close enough to hobble to a parts house.

I did purchase roadside assistance as a result of the first incident since I drive so far to work, and I also plan on doing some traveling over the summer. I now also have a spare belt. And will carry a spare plug from now on along with some basic tools.
2009 Xciting 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 10:42:44 AM »
That is an amazing recovery@!@
You made it 50+ miles with a shot plug!
That you were able to suss the problem AND fix the problem without a tow.....amazing.
Ummm.....100 mile trip ea day...and scooter acting a tiny bit funny. ....and off you go?
Wearing out your Angel there bub!
"Hi, my name is Bob....and I'm a nutcase!"
"Welcome Bob!"
;)
I'd want you fixing my car....good mechanic.
Thanks for sharing.
Stig
(Me...I've done nothing squirrely recently. ..except quit my 28 yr job with NO prep planning. The only regret is shaking the hand of my idiot backstabbing mean hateful coworker as I was walking out the door.  Instinct on my part...but he only stuck out his right hand to me because he wanted me to hand him my work truck keys!)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 10:51:09 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 01:28:35 PM »
You have lotsa company, Forbes! Like Stig and AMAC said best,human and so on (only better than I am attempting). The beauty of this forum but mostly the people on it is we all benefit by relating the "boo-boo's" so the rest won't repeat the event. Your situation is sorta like doing a "magneto check" on a piston-powered air plane or helo. Don't go if it doesn't pass. The stumble was like a failed mag check. Bet none of us will ignore that one!

Thanks!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 04:57:07 PM »
I told my two local worry wart  sisters , my oldest brother, and my mother about the shredded belt incident. But I think I'll just share this with my big brother. My mother only RECENTLY stopped calling EVERY morning to ask me something that she'd "forgotten" to ask me earlier. (But I know that she was just checking to see if her crazy "baby boy" had ridden the scooter and if I'd safely mad it to work). My sisters would spread the word to my two out of town brother and my out of town sister causing a Tampa to Tallahassee worry hotline.

My oldest brother secretly worries too. But but he'll keep his mouth shut because I know most of his "I should have known better" stories too. [emoji1] Oh the joys of a large family.

If my Auto Mechanic Dad was still alive, he would give me the "you know that thing only has ONE cylinder. And you don't EVER leave the house with a problem. And why didn't you have an extra spark plug with you? Where were your tools? What if that thing had cut off in the road? You KNOW folks are crazy and would have knocked you side the head while you were side the road" lecture. In fact, I heard it in my mind yesterday as I was changing the spark plug in O'reillys Auto Parts Parking lot .

Then I laughed to myself because my dad doesn't even have to be alive to lecture me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 01:01:56 PM »
Yep. The older we get, the smarter our dads become. Sounds to me like you are just human, like us all. As long as you make different mistakes next time, all is good.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 10:27:11 PM »
Yep. The older we get, the smarter our dads become. Sounds to me like you are just human, like us all. As long as you make different mistakes next time, all is good.
True, because there are many mistakes yet to be made. No need to make the same ones twice.
2009 Xciting 250

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 12:43:25 AM »
That's what I'm talkin' about  ;)
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()