Author Topic: Won't Start  (Read 2068 times)

Nikoru

• View Profile
Won't Start
« on: June 30, 2009, 01:37:57 AM »
I just purchased a used '05 zx50, and while it worked fine when I got it, I can't seem to get it to start on my own.  I follow the instructions in the manual and how I was shown:  I turn the key to on, hold onto the rear break pedal while pressing the start button...and then it fizzles out.  I was able to start it only a few times, which was incredibly difficult; as soon as I went to rotate the throttle, it would most always fizzle out.  The same happens if I try to start with the kick start.
I'm pretty sure all the buttons are in the correct positions.  My headlight and turn signal switches are off.
Could it just be that I was starting and trying to start it too many times in a short period?
Any recommendations?  Thanks for any help.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 01:46:20 AM by Nikoru »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Won't Start
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 02:01:38 AM »
If it starts is a good sign. Have you tried the choke? you didn't mention it. It's on the side of the carb . Mine won't start w/out it. Could also be starved for fuel?
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

chubbyrockstar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 05:33:17 AM »
Could be a dirty fuel filter, Dirty Carb Jet, Fuel lines collapsing or somethin easy like that.

also make sure you dont wear the batery down too much trying the electric start. if you havent started it in a while the bendix in the starter and the kickstart might be in need of a greasejob while your at it ;D

benhogan73

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 03:10:48 AM »
I just got mine running today.

1.  Pulled the plug and set the gap.
2.  Drained the old gas and put in new.
3.  Drained the bowl.  There is a screw at the bottom edge of the carburetor.
4.  Used the kick start.
5.  Adjusted the air screw on the carb.

I think the old gas and spark plug gap had the largest effect on operation.

Good luck.

Tim

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()