Author Topic: 2006 ZX 50 Fever : Oil light comes on after 10 min only while throttle engaged  (Read 1554 times)

silent_in_the_morning

• View Profile
Hey all,

New here. Just bought my first scooter. 2006 Super Fever. Super new to working on these - one of the main reasons I got it was to learn how. Ran pretty rough when I got it but I gave her some love and appears to be running really well now. Fires up first try and can get it to a sustained 45mph with no issue. Thanks youtube 8)

That being said, the oil light will come on after about 10 minutes of riding - only when the throttle is engaged. If I hit the brakes it goes off. If I'm idling, it goes off. When I accelerate and sustain speed, it's back on.

The pump seems to be feeding oil just fine. It sounds like a 2 stroke should. Purrs at full throttle. I'm getting great gas mileage as well, around 90mpg.

Any ideas why the oil light keeps coming on? I'm not too worried about it based on feel and sound but it's been bugging me. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jonah

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Hello Jonah,
Welcome to the forum!
And good on you for getting it running smoothly.... and at a sustained 45kmh!!
Not too surprising that a 17 yr old 50 might show a few issues, especially considering that it might have sat idle for a lot of those years.
Hopefully someone will be along to help you run down this issue with the light.
Myself - I would be concerned about overheating at full throttle, with an oiling light flashing!
It could be a very good thing that this light is warning you of something.

Do you have a local Kymco dealer - or a scooter repair shop?

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

silent_in_the_morning

• View Profile
Thanks for the reply Stig!

I just tested with a speedometer app on the phone today and my top speed is about 38 mph (61 kmh!), 40 if I push it. Thing is a blast.

Took longer for it to come on today but was still there. I was thinking of overheating as well but wouldn't I smell, hear and feel that? As of right now my top inclinations are a wiring issue or old, gunked up oil tubes and fuel lines that aren't flowing as well as they should. Next time I pull it apart I'm going to replace those. Also thinking about altering my air filter box a tad to increase airflow since I'm in Colorado and at a higher altitude. Hoping to get better acceleration from doing so. It's not bad, I just want more pep if possible.

Anyways, I'll update if I figure it out. Enjoy the day!

-Jonah

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()