Author Topic: Older Xcting body work on a newer model  (Read 669 times)

ptingib

• mitapXD
    • View Profile
    • Top-notch ?asual Dating Verified Damsels
Older Xcting body work on a newer model
« on: November 24, 2019, 04:13:29 PM »
Hi all, I think i can solve my instrument cluster problem buy buying and entire 250 scooter and using its parts for my 500.   I noticed that the body work is not only a nice black but in better condition than my white one.  I was thinking of swapping the panels as they look better and have the original screw fix points still undamaged.  The only issue is that the bike im looking at getting is the mark 1 model with the mirrors on the panel and mines is the newer type with the mirror in the handle bars.  I assume that taking the mirrors off the 250 will not be an issue however it will leave a hole in the body work.  Can anyone advice if they have done this as well and its possible to do.  Also is there an aftermarket part you can buy that plugs up this hole or covers it.   Im doing all of this to replace my broken instrument panel but ill also get a new re-upholstered seat and hopefully i can use the wheels and tyres also (assuming they are the same size).   I can then also cannibalize parts from the 250 and the scrap the motor and chassis so that it is taken off the road permanently.
Can anyone assure me that the cluster to ecu plugs are the same for both models and if anyone knows of a link in ebay or amazzon that will cure the hole in the bodywork issue than i would be extremely grateful.  Also are the exhaust the same?? they look identilcal in size but this is not to say that the internals will be the same as one might be designed for a 250cc motor and the other for the more powerful 500.
I need to decide and make the purchase very soon so any information and advice would be extremely appreciated.  the bike i have is a 500cc ri model from 2009 and the one i want to buy is from 2005 250cc and may be carbureted.   my main concern obviously ios that the instrument panel is plug and play and that it will work on both models. 
many thanks in advance

sissymary

• View Profile
Re: Older Xcting body work on a newer model
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 06:33:14 PM »
What years are the bikes? If they are both single head light x250 & 500's, body panels should fit both?

ptingib

• mitapXD
    • View Profile
    • Top-notch ?asual Dating Verified Damsels
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 10:30:10 PM »
The bike i have is a 500cc ri model from 2009 and the one i want to buy is from 2005 250cc and may be carbureted

its the instrument cluster good seat and rear wheel that im interested in however the body panels will be great as all my screw points have broken over the years and in the spanish heat. 

im not sure what to do about the big hole in the older body work where the mirrors pop out of.  I want to keep the mirrors on the handle bars.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 05:03:39 AM »
You in the Twilight Zone of hot rodding and what you discover will be chiseled in stone by the rest of us! Meaning, maybe one guy on here knows the answer to your questions and I ain't him!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()