Author Topic: UNABLE TO START WITH THE KEY SOMETIMES?? [SOLVED]  (Read 1792 times)

Aceforever

• View Profile
UNABLE TO START WITH THE KEY SOMETIMES?? [SOLVED]
« on: December 06, 2012, 03:46:06 AM »
Hey yall, thanks for your attention.

Details: Kymco Agility 125

I'm having problems with my scooter not starting with the key sometimes at night time?? This whole week I've been turning the scooter on with the key on my first go before heading out but afterwards it would not start at night time. This is only a hunch but is it possible that it might need a new spark plug? Does the sun keep the bike warm during the daytime meaning that it starts the bike using the key with ease except for night time? I didn't have this problem before :(

Many thanks in advance
CHEERS :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 02:06:06 PM by buckmajor »

yatezy9

• View Profile
Re: UNABLE TO START WITH THE KEY SOMETIMES??
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 03:59:01 AM »
A colder engine will always be a bit more difficult to start, the battery also loses voltage faster in cold weather, making it difficult to turn over the engine.

Aceforever

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 06:21:49 PM »
I see. I was thinking that before but it slipped my mind. Too easy, thanks ;)

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 07:38:57 PM »
Umm your problem isn't stated clearly. Do you mean the electric start doesn't work
at night but kickstart does? If so I agree your battery is getting weak.

I had a car that had problems in the winter so I put in 10w30 and pulled the battery
just before winter and charged it, then I didn't have problems all winter.
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

Aceforever

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 12:10:29 PM »
Umm your problem isn't stated clearly. Do you mean the electric start doesn't work
at night but kickstart does? If so I agree your battery is getting weak.

I had a car that had problems in the winter so I put in 10w30 and pulled the battery
just before winter and charged it, then I didn't have problems all winter.
Yes, that is correct. The electric start doesn't work at night sometimes and then the only option is to kickstart. I thought the battery charges itself once the bike is turned on?? So how do I resolve this issue? Do I have to get a new battery once the electric start stops working?

Thanks again.

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 12:29:59 PM »
Well kickstarting only needs 2 or 3 amps from the battery. The starter uses 100 amps!
So if you can only get 99 amps you can't use the starter. Like I say use lighter oil in the
motor and remove the battery and charge it with an automotive battery charger (on the
low setting (2 amps?)). Or you can get your battery load tested to see if you need a new
 one. Running the bike charges the battery but very slowly, it might take a 50 or 100 mile
ride to get a full charge! I put a battery tender on mine time to time to keep it fully charged.
The smart ones that turn off so as to not over charge are the best!
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 12:26:32 AM »
Also, in the winter the oil gets like thick mud and is difficult for a weak battery to turn the engine over.  Try to pour oil that has been outside overnite and you'll get the idea.  You need to do something about your battery.  I would suggest a battery maintainer.

Richard L.

Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

Aceforever

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 01:10:28 PM »
Interesting, I just recently changed the oil so maybe it wasn't a lighter oil than?? Apart from that, this is very handy to know. I didn't know about the amps requiring a certain amount for the starter and kickstart. Cool, now I need to find out how to take the battery out next time.

Thanks again

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 05:25:15 AM »
If you install a plug for your tire pump, use heavy wire # 10 and you can charge battery throu the plug,. with out removing the battery to charge it,. once is enough!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()