Author Topic: Tecnigas silencer  (Read 1609 times)

Triesandluth

• Getting it, a mile per hour at a time
    • View Profile
Tecnigas silencer
« on: March 28, 2015, 01:08:10 AM »
You think this pipe needs new packing?
Almost...at...speed...limit... Aww, brake lights..

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
Re: Tecnigas silencer
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 02:20:47 AM »
Wow, that's amazing, bet it was loud!  What you going to use for new packing?
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 11:45:22 AM »
It was! Scared some cows going past them at wot,  saw them thrashing into each other and whatnot in my mirror.  I'm sure my neighbors don't like it,  me roaring in from work at 7:30 am...
I plan on trying to get some of the packing for dirt bikes from a motorcycle shop in town.  I've considered even just going to Lowe's and getting some Owen Corning brand insulation,  saw some that looks like pictures of packing from racing planet.  Not sure though.  Don't want to catch fire while riding,  no matter how cool it might look. 
Tecnigas makes a repack kit,  steel wool for the core and two halves of fiberglass packing.  I can't find it online though.  The one link I find for it says out of stock.  But here's a link to scooterinvasion forums,  a great place for Super 9's by the way, that shows the simple installation of the actual Tecnigas  kit.
http://www.scooterinvasion.net/repacktechnigas.html
 I'm just going to do it the way I've seen on other videos for dirt bikes.  Other searches have stories of increased performance and being much quieter.  Now I'm excited!

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 03:15:27 PM »
Thanks for link to scooterinvasion, looks like good source for more info.

I had 125cc 2 stroke kart engine I repacked the muffler several times.  That muffler was very effective, had really nice mellow sound I would love to have with my scooter.  Muffler design was basically the same, so maybe different sound level came from packing material?

Mat was heavy loose cotton like material (probably not cotton) sandwiched between cloth, didn't use any steel wool material.  I still have some left over I might try sometime.  I think packing could be generic, should be able to use whatever they sell for mufflers, doesn't have to be Tecnigas specific IMO.

Saw some on ebay and amazon, see link.  Cheers

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&node=15684181&keywords=packing+muffler&tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=36184781920&hvpos=2o3&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9108032490748722613&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_6p4cvzmf5s_b
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 06:42:43 PM »
Thanks for the link.  I'm going to check out the shop first,  I'm very impatient sometimes ha ha ha.  But it would be great to keep some on hand,  seeing that I will be most likely running a little rich and wide open causing quicker soiling of the packing. 
I'm kind of curious how your pipe innards look,  being used and you saying its  loud.  Be sure to snap a pic for me.  I think mine came from someone that deliberately took out that half of the packing to make it noisy.  I was reading last night about someone that changed their hard, brittle packing in their Tecnigas out for fresh packing.  They compared the new packed silencer's sound to a stock four stroke pipe's. That would be interesting,  but I doubt it.

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 08:02:50 PM »
Actually, I wasn't planning on changing Super 9 packing anytime soon, was talking about when I changed packing on kart engine.

I bet fresh packing really helps with the sound.  My Super 9 is 2003 with approx 4900 kilometers on it now, so over 10 years old, probably needs new packing.  I will do a comparison when I install the new Tecnigas Next R on my People 50.  It's almost the same pipe as on the Super 9 and I believe would fit on the Super 9, or Super 8 50 2T, plus People 50, all basically the same engine.

If and when I change it out, I will try to post pics.  Cheers

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 04:11:46 AM »
I did the repack.  I was going to post pictures but was in a rush to get it done. I think I'm going to go back and do it again when it's less windy and maybe post up a few pictures.  Instead of going the dirt bike way I went with some steel wool around the core and wrapped insulation around it, similar to the link.  Took only a matter of minutes. I only cleaned the inside at first,  then really took my time on the outside later.  It's still a bit beat up looking though. 
The sound is insanely different.  At point, stopped at a light, I had to look at my tach just to make sure it was still running.   It's nuts how quiet it can seem at idle but still sounds "attractive" at riding rpms. 
I need to get some gaskets for the point that it bolts to.  Mine are in terrible shape.  Maybe I'll make one.  And I'm still getting a very slight leak around the edges of the can,  so I may consider making a type of gasket or o ring to fit each end to aid in sealing. 
I couldn't quite tell if there's any difference in performance.  The wind was around 20mph today so I never got an area to have a baseline.  Either I was fighting the wind or sailing with it.
Just not being obscenely loud is well worth it for me.  Ten years ago I might have been tempted to run it like it was. Now, not so much.
Hell,  as easy as it was I would suggest doing the repack just for the sake of any poor soul that may get passed by your exhaust side at full throttle!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 04:15:05 AM by Triesandluth »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()