Scooters - Big Bore > Xciting 700i

stalling with new cam sensor

<< < (2/2)

MJR:

--- Quote from: johnb on December 10, 2019, 01:12:05 AM ---so heres where I attached the new cam sensor, and in my hand is the old one, I suppose if the other one is the same then I'll just move this old one to the crank sensor' supposing this one is good, didnt wanna tear it up again as it was a pain yesterday to remove, had to remove 3 panels a footpeg and the grab bar.

dont suppose you guys have a pdf file for the service manual on this do you?

--- End quote ---

Yes that's the crank sensor, the cam sensor mounts in the valve cover. When you run the bike and it dies what code flashes on the check engine light? Link to post about codes here https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=28895.msg200873#msg200873 .

johnb:
I've never seen a cel on it.... was looking for it to throw a code I'll try again tomorrow, I put it on the trickle charge tonight, I'll see if it gives me a cel tomorrow will update this thread. thanks for the help.

MJR:
When you start the bike and it runs, then dies the check engine light would flash out a code if it's a failure the engine computer monitors. Once it has flashed out the code three times it will self clear until it happens again.

MJR:
I'm not sure if John will post back up or not but I did ask him if he got it fixed. The fix turned out to be the stator. Here's what was happening. Basically the bike would start and run until the battery voltage dropped below what the ECU needed and then shut off. This explains why there were no codes in the ECU and that over time the bike would run shorter periods over time as the battery was drained since the stator wasn't keeping it charged. Odd that the battery wasn't drained enough to prevent the starter from working or maybe it was and needed to be charged up. This is the second stator I know of causing the problem both of which had less than 5,000 miles on the bikes. So always check that the bike properly charges the battery before moving on to other things electrical.

CROSSBOLT:
Thank you for the repair report! That makes perfect sense. Coupled with being able to spin an engine with a starter but no joy on getting a good  start if volts drop below 10.5 or so. Good to know how this turned out and the ultimate cause.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version