Author Topic: Rear suspensions replacement  (Read 399 times)

quochuy

• aka Huy
    • View Profile
Rear suspensions replacement
« on: November 04, 2022, 08:25:46 AM »
Hi all.
I have a 2008 People S 200 and would like to replace the rear shocks but they seem hard to reach. After unscrewing the seat the fuel tank is still in the way.

Reaching from the wheel might be OK but the bolt seem to be welded.

Is there an easy way?
Thanks
Huy
2008 Kymco People S 200

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Rear suspensions replacement
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2022, 12:35:23 PM »
welcome to the forum! See the stickied thread above in the S200 section about rear wheel removal. You'll need to remove the plastic tub under the seat for rear shock access. The fuel tank is not removed in this process. Let us know if you have any questions as the first time removing the tub can be a bit tricky. It gets much easier after you've done it once or twice.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2022, 02:48:50 PM »
took another look at my scoot and you do need to remove the exhaust to be able to remove the right shock lower mounting bolt. So to remove the shocks you'll pull the seat, rack, fender, tub and exhaust to access them. Follow sticky post above through exhaust removal.

Removing the exhaust usually requires installing a new exhaust gasket where the pipe connects to the head.

2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix

quochuy

• aka Huy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2022, 11:34:18 PM »
Sorry for the delay, just saw the responses.
I actually managed to figure out the process after 3 hours removing screw by screw yesterday. What I ended up doing:
  • Remove seat + tub
  • Remove the luggage rack
  • Remove the fairings around the seat
  • I didn't need to remove the exhaust, just unscrew the two main bolts. That allowed me to move the exhaust slightly to give just enough space to slide the suspension's bolt out

Thank you
2008 Kymco People S 200

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2022, 03:50:48 AM »
glad you got them out. what kind of shocks did you replace your originals with?  Do you feel a big difference with the new shocks?

Something that made a huge difference in the ride of my scoot was changing the fork oil. The difference was like night and day.
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix

quochuy

• aka Huy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2022, 12:04:17 PM »
As mentioned in my fork oil thread, I changed the original ones (14 year old) to a pair of regular YSS 40028. A G-Sport (gas) would have been better but these ones made huge difference. I'm not sure how the stock ones were when new but when I removed them they were very hard to push down and felt a bit sticky. They were probably the reason why my back is now sh**ty. After recovery I'll see how the new one will affect me but so far with the few rides since the change, I could feel it's so smooth that I could not recognise the same roads I usually take, I used to feel all their imperfections, now it's like riding on a cloud. Of course, the new suspensions don't remove all vibrations, medium bumps are still felt but are not jarring.

The rear YSS in combo with fork oil change definitely did change the rides for the better.

2008 Kymco People S 200

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()